Wyred4Sound mPRE - balanced DAC/Analog Pre-amp/Headphone amp
Jan 15, 2013 at 2:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

runswithaliens

100+ Head-Fier
W4S mPRE
Expected to be shipping this month according to website.
Product page:
http://www.wyred4sound.com/webapps/p/74030/117839/803982

Looks like it could be a very nice all-in-one desktop unit for $1099.00. Certainly has almost everything I am looking for for use with a computer with powered monitors and headphones - including the remote!  It seems to basically be thier mINT but without the INT part - if you see what I'm saying. Will have to check reviews on the mINT then to see what to expect from the unit sound-wise.

I was curious as to what the specs would be for the headphone amp and so emailed W4S for details. Here is the response from them:

Quote:

[size=small]I did not receive the specs from the testing area but I do know that it uses a headphone stage that is identical to that which is in the mINT. [/size]

[size=small]Those specs, which should be the same or possible better with the mPRE are listed here. http://www.wyred4sound.com/141528/html/page.html[/size]

[size=x-small]I mention that it may be better with the mPRE because it does not have the amp modules in close proximity and uses a more robust power supply. [/size]

Here are the mINT Headphone amp specs listed on that page:

32 Ohm Load     720 mW @ 0.1% THD+N

300 Ohm Load     132 mW @ 0.1% THD+N

600 Ohm Load         60mW @ 0.1% THD+N

To me that seems like enough power - based on this information anyway:  http://www.anedio.com/index.php/faq/faq#Headphone_Power

Anyone planning on getting one?

Jan 19, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #2 of 12
per W4S:

"The mPRE uses the 9023 Sabre DAC."

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #3 of 12
Looks great, but I wonder how much better it is than something like a Nuforce HDP. More ins and outs, but Nuforce supposedly uses the higher end Sabre for its DAC. Awfully tempted to order one and compare the two.

Jan 23, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:
Looks great, but I wonder how much better it is than something like a Nuforce HDP. More ins and outs, but Nuforce supposedly uses the higher end Sabre for its DAC. Awfully tempted to order one and compare the two.

Any comparisons at all would be great. :)  I wonder if there are any W4S mINT owners around that wouldn't mind telling us a little bit about what they have found out using the DAC and Headphone amp portions on their mINT since they are basically the same as on the mPRE?

Jan 30, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #5 of 12
I noticed W4S posted the Headphone output spec's on their website for the mPRE, and it turns out it is nearly twice as powerful as the headphone output of the mINT.  In general it seems to be more powerful than most amps I've seen the specs for in the All-in-one category (except Audio-GD which often goes way beyond that).

So if my math is correct that would be 8.75 Volts into 300 Ohms - which should oughta be pretty good for my Senn. HD650s?

I also have the Fostex T50-RPs which at 50 Ohms are said to like high current, but I haven't really seen any numbers given on just how much is enough, but I'm guess that 1.3Watts into a 32 Ohm load should indicate that it is going to be putting plenty of current into the 50 Ohm Fostex. Or not?

One direct competitor all-in-one unit of similar prices and features that I am considering is the new Peachtree Audio novaPre. They don't have any specs posted for the headphone amp so I sent them an email a couple days ago but haven't heard back yet. In comparison to the W4S mPRE, the Peachtree boasts a tube buffer that can be switched in or out, as well as "all digital inputs which are grounded are Galvanically isolated" ( I have read that is a good thing when connecting to a computer).  On the other hand the W4S unit is a dual-mono design and has balanced inputs and outputs.... 

I would have such nice audio equipment if I could just make up my minds!

Jan 31, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:
I noticed W4S posted the Headphone output spec's on their website for the mPRE, and it turns out it is nearly twice as powerful as the headphone output of the mINT.  In general it seems to be more powerful than most amps I've seen the specs for in the All-in-one category (except Audio-GD which often goes way beyond that).

So if my math is correct that would be 8.75 Volts into 300 Ohms - which should oughta be pretty good for my Senn. HD650s?

I also have the Fostex T50-RPs which at 50 Ohms are said to like high current, but I haven't really seen any numbers given on just how much is enough, but I'm guess that 1.3Watts into a 32 Ohm load should indicate that it is going to be putting plenty of current into the 50 Ohm Fostex. Or not?

One direct competitor all-in-one unit of similar prices and features that I am considering is the new Peachtree Audio novaPre. They don't have any specs posted for the headphone amp so I sent them an email a couple days ago but haven't heard back yet. In comparison to the W4S mPRE, the Peachtree boasts a tube buffer that can be switched in or out, as well as "all digital inputs which are grounded are Galvanically isolated" ( I have read that is a good thing when connecting to a computer).  On the other hand the W4S unit is a dual-mono design and has balanced inputs and outputs.... 

I would have such nice audio equipment if I could just make up my minds!

Wow, with those headphone specs, at least power-wise, the mPre is even more tempting now.  Should have more than enough power for the HD650's and the T50RP's (I happen to have both).  I really don't think the T50RP's need as much current as people say they do.  I have listened to them straight from an ipod and out of a 2w per channel headphone amp.  Not a huge difference.  My only concern is that W4S is a DAC and power amp company first, with not as much apparent experience doing headphone amps.  Then again, it has been extremely difficult to hear major differences between the amps I have tried.  

I have also looked at the novaPre.  Galvanic isolation is certainly a nice feature to have, but sonically, at this level, I doubt you will hear a difference unless you had an electrically noisy computer.  Plus for under $50 you can get a USB isolator and do basically the same thing.    That said, a switchable tube buffer could be fun.  If the headphone amp is up to scratch, either could be a killer value.  $1000 or so for a high mid level preamp would be great.

Unfortunately, my play funds are all tied up right now so I can buy both to audition them.

Mar 2, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #8 of 12
I'm sure it will sound great but it looks just hideous. I don't usually care for the looks much but this is just offensive in my opinion considering its price. 

Aug 14, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #10 of 12
I'm also interested in impressions of the mPre.  Specifically, the quality of the dac and headphone output sections.  Would really love to streamline my system in the future, and this is a sweet candidate.

Oct 31, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #11 of 12
The preamp section is one of the best I have found at any price.

Nov 1, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #12 of 12
great. the quality of the dac and headphone output sections.  Would really love to streamline my system in the future, and this is a sweet candidate.
11.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back