WTHeck? Super Fi 3 NO BASS?
Nov 17, 2008 at 11:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

ShootingStars

100+ Head-Fier
I purchased these today, after using the Sennheiser CX500 for a LONG time (like half a year)... and I put them into my ear. Vocals great, mids great BUT What I hear like no bass. Is this normal? Are my ears supposed to get used to it? o_O Was it because the CX500 was overloaded with bass?

I actually got the M-Audio IE-10, which is the Super Fi 3.

My in-ear exp.
SkullCandy Buds (before discovered head fi) > Sennheiser CX500 > this.

Nov 17, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #2 of 20
You have to get used to them. The CX500, from my understanding, uses dynamic drivers, and are designed to deliver in the bass frequencies. The SF3, however, uses balanced armature drivers, which have less noticeable bass due to very little bass impact (the drivers move very little air compared to dynamics). I'd suggest boxing up your Senns for a few months and listening to these exclusively to get used to them.

Nov 17, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #3 of 20
One of two things IMO.

Either the CX500 has loads more bass, and you'll have to listen to the super fi's for a bit to get used to them, or you don't have a correct seal, which 9 times out of 10 is problem when people complain about lack of bass with IEM's.

I've heard the Super Fi's can be hard to get a good seal with.
Have you tried experimenting with various tips that you have?

You could also invest in some comply foam tips, which should help if you have an issue with the seal, but they're expensive and don't last nearly as long as silicon tips.

Nov 17, 2008 at 11:27 PM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duffy1207 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could also invest in some comply foam tips, which should help if you have an issue with the seal, but they're expensive and don't last nearly as long as silicon tips.

My suggestion too. I've used the silicons and foams that came with them and they were good . . . but not great, and pretty bad with the stock foams.

After the complys there's no doubt you'll get a great seal, and that's what matters most when it comes to the bass. They're levels better than what they were without them.

Nov 17, 2008 at 11:30 PM Post #5 of 20
To simply put, the super-fi 3's don't have alot of bass compared to the Cx500 as i_don't_know has said before, you'll get used to it after a while if you use them constantly.
Also check your seal, which can effect the bass the 3's, also try the foam tips.
Lastly have you tried the flip-side mod? to me it helped a little bit, but nothing drastic.

Nov 17, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by egosumdoomd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To simply put, the super-fi 3's don't have alot of bass compared to the Cx500 as i_don't_know has said before, you'll get used to it after a while if you use them constantly.
Also check your seal, which can effect the bass the 3's, also try the foam tips.
Lastly have you tried the flip-side mod? to me it helped a little bit, but nothing drastic.

LOL it was the seal. im using my comfortable as hell cx500 tips with it :p (i hate foam) ill get used to these.... i love the vocals on these and the bit better isolation!

Nov 18, 2008 at 1:23 AM Post #7 of 20
use shure tips if you have them, thats what im using with the IE 10's, which i got 1 week ago. the seal is much better imo. sadly, the cable is starting to weaken at the connector, so its now exclusively for computer use.

Nov 18, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by choobincanada /img/forum/go_quote.gif
use shure tips if you have them, thats what im using with the IE 10's, which i got 1 week ago. the seal is much better imo. sadly, the cable is starting to weaken at the connector, so its now exclusively for computer use.

im liking the sound, but hating the fit cuz i wear glasses! T_T i cant return these... oh well present for somebody!

Nov 18, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #9 of 20
Just take off your glasses while listening unless you're on the move. No need to see your music.

Nov 18, 2008 at 2:33 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_don't_know /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just take off your glasses while listening unless you're on the move. No need to see your music.

i usually use IEMs when i am on the move, my headphones for home.... sadly

Nov 18, 2008 at 8:34 AM Post #11 of 20
can't you don't wear it over your ear?

Jan 17, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #14 of 20
I'm using the Super.fi 3 Studio right now and for me, going the flip mod configuration and the foam comply tips is the only way to get a comfortable fit that stays in the ear properly. The only downside is that it does take some time to work the foam comply eartips into the ear.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back