WTB (sort of) Meta42...read for details
Sep 23, 2002 at 11:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

jalepeno

New Head-Fier
ok here is the deal...i have a meta42 in not working condition that i have spent an ungodly amount of time on, but i'm not a craftsman by any definition of the word...and my amp just doesnt work. i have all the parts necessary and have done the case work (a bit shody). what i'm looking for is someone to troubleshoot and complete the amp for me. i've run out of time with this project (had plenty of time before but now i have a new job and lots and lots of work to do....it started off as a lot of fun and now has digressed into something else completley. so if anyone out there could take a look at this amp (i feel like someone who actually knows what they are doing will be able to figure it out pretty easily) i would really appreciate it. and of course i would pay for your time and any parts you think you may need. just let me know beforehand an approximation of cost (like how much per hour or whatever)

thanks.

Nasser

Sep 24, 2002 at 12:38 AM Post #2 of 3

HighwayStar

Won't excrete urine on your holiday (unless you do so to his first).
Quote:

Originally posted by jalepeno
ok here is the deal...i have a meta42 in not working condition that i have spent an ungodly amount of time on, but i'm not a craftsman by any definition of the word...and my amp just doesnt work. i have all the parts necessary and have done the case work (a bit shody). what i'm looking for is someone to troubleshoot and complete the amp for me. i've run out of time with this project (had plenty of time before but now i have a new job and lots and lots of work to do....it started off as a lot of fun and now has digressed into something else completley. so if anyone out there could take a look at this amp (i feel like someone who actually knows what they are doing will be able to figure it out pretty easily) i would really appreciate it. and of course i would pay for your time and any parts you think you may need. just let me know beforehand an approximation of cost (like how much per hour or whatever)

thanks.

Nasser

Try PM'n JMT, eric343, tangent or antness.

Sep 24, 2002 at 1:23 AM Post #3 of 3

eric343

Member of the Trade: Audiogeek: The "E" in META42
Save your money
wink.gif

Here's what to do:
pre-a) Check all your solder joints. Make sure they're nice and uniformly silver and shiny. If they're not, use a soldering iron and solder sucker or solder wick to remove the solder from the bad joints and re-solder them, making sure they get nice and silver. If you can't do this (and/or are using cheap and/or lead-free and/or RadioShack solder), buy some Kester "44" solder from Digikey.com and use that. It's WELL worth it. TRUST ME.

Then go through and make sure every part is in the correct place, and that your input jacks and output jacks are wired correctly (on my first META42, I swapped the input/output jacks and swapped ground input on one of the channels).

a) Beg, buy, borrow, steal, or otherwise use a *good* *high-resolution* digital camera *with macro capability* to take *close-up* and *in-focus* photos of the top and bottom of the board. Make sure the flash does not create glare, everything should be easily visible. If necessary use a bunch of table lamps or simply take the darn thing outside instead of using a flash.

b) Upload the images to a webserver, either Imagestation or a free web account. If the latter, make a web page that contains all the images and link to that during step C.

c) Post a *detailed* description of the problem(s) on Head-Fi and HeadWize (in the DIY forums), and include an equally detailed description of your configuration, including but not limited to the resistor values, capcitors, volume control, etc. Also it would be helpful to know what, if any, previous electronics or even soldering experience you have.

That should help... If it doesn't, I recommend desoldering what components, ordering another board, and just starting over. When I was your age (err, just getting into DIY) I usually just junked my first attempt and the second worked perfectly.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread