WTB: Headband mod for Ultrasone HFI-780
Sep 30, 2009 at 5:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

papalion

New Head-Fier
I purchased a pair of Ultrasone HFI-780 last week. I was not able to try them on in the store. If I had, I probably would never have bought them. THEY ARE TERRIBLY UNCOMFORTABLE!
mad.gif
  • The clamping pressure is excessive. (I have a small head, and I left them for three days stretched over three large textbooks.)
  • They are not completely circumaural. My relatively small to medium-sized ears don't fit completely inside the pads.
  • The pleather earpads are too thin and hard
  • The cushion on the top of the headband is to small presses down on the center of my head
Overall, I end up with a huge headache after < 1 hour of listening.

I would like to keep them though. I could change the earpads using Beyerdynamic leather ones but would only do so if I can also find a way to make the headband less uncomfortable.

What I am looking for is something like what Muftobration made in this post.

If anyone has one of these to sell, can make one for me, or direct me to where I can buy one, please respond.

Oct 7, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #2 of 2

papalion

New Head-Fier
I've decided to return the headphones. Any headphone company that makes a set of cans that is so PAINFUL to wear does not deserve my money. Nor, is it worth the time, effort or money involved to mod a pair of headphones that were made so poorly in the first place!
frown.gif

It's not the pleather that bothers me because i've had pleather headphones in the past that were comfortable. It's the padding under the pleather. This stuff is as hard as styrofoam. The plastic headband may be sturdy but who really wants to put their head in a vice?
confused_face.gif

Ultrasone, why don't you have your engineering department actually come up with a design that is actually wearable?
confused_face(1).gif

I've seen more posts on this site about the HFI780 headphones relating to their comfort, or lack thereof, and there need for modification than about any other aspect of these 'phones. As for me, if i'm paying $250 for a pair of headphones, I should be able to wear them out of the box!!!

As for me, I'm returning the HFI780's to the store where I bought them and will be seeking out a new pair of comfortable cans. I'll be keeping an eye on Ultrasone from time to time to see if they actually ever produce a pair of not overpriced (read: edition series) headphones that can be worn without causing severe headaches.

Users who are viewing this thread