WTB: Entry/Mid Level Rock Cans, Ampable <$200
Nov 11, 2008 at 8:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

bmwpowere36m3

100+ Head-Fier
Looking for a decent set of cans, open or closed no preferance... other than maybe slightly to open. Looking for good synergy with Millet "Starving Student" Hybrid Amp. Want cans to excel when amp, high impedance.

Music:
  1. Metallica, BLS, Sabbath, AC/DC, Seether
  2. Led Zep, Pink Floyd, GnR, Rolling Stones
  3. AIC, Pantera, Deftones, In Flames

Sound:
  1. Head-Direct RE2 "Like" with more tight bass
  2. Wide Soundstage
  3. Neutral/Slightly Warm Sounding
  4. Tight Bass, w/ attack but NO head pounders'

Some Suggested to me:
  1. DT770
  2. DT880
  3. Senn580
  4. Senn555
  5. SR60 or 80 if cheap enough

Jan 11, 2009 at 8:32 AM Post #4 of 5

thedauntlessone

100+ Head-Fier
Here are some of my opinions. The Senn HD-580 is not exceptional for Rock/Metal phones and I would not get it for the music you listen to. I would not suggest you get the DT-770 because the sound sig is a love/hate thing.

If you want to go cheap, get the SR-60 or 80. But then it really depends on your taste. Personally, I like a thicker sound and the Grado can sometimes sound a bit thin for me to really rock out. Either way it's only like 70-80 bucks for the SR60 or 80 so it's worth the purchase. You can get tons of mileage from either cans.

Jan 12, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #5 of 5

bmwpowere36m3

100+ Head-Fier
THanks guys, but I long since already bought a pair of phones, Senn HD580's and they rock. Honestly everything I've throw at these phones from Rock, Metal, to classical sounds great. They do require a good amp to really shine though, and they have scaled great with every amp I've used them with. Currently listening to them with a SOHA II amp.

After using them for a couple of months now I don't have any regrets getting them and I mostly listen to Rock. While they are missing some things, it doesn't take away from their sound. I'm actually auditioning a pair of Grado SR80's and so far I'm not impressed by their sound. The only one that was nice and maybe would consider are the RS1's...

Users who are viewing this thread