WTB: Cheap, decent powered speakers. Also taking recommendations.
Sep 25, 2008 at 5:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

rwest1389

500+ Head-Fier
Just lookin for some decent speakers that get relatively loud out of my laptop. My laptop's speakers don't get loud enough, so I just want some powered speakers that would fill a dorm room nicely.

I would just buy some from amazon, but I figure the people here would have the best bargain speakers, from which they've since upgraded. PM or email me with an offer.

BTW, cheap means 25-30 ish, but up to 50 if its worth it.

Also, if you just have a recommendation on some speakers that fit my criteria, I definitely don't mind buying new so I'd appreciate it.

Sep 30, 2008 at 7:36 AM Post #3 of 4

Uncle Erik

Uncle Exotic
Are you sure you don't want a receiver to power the speakers? There might be some good powered speakers, but it's a whole lot easier to pick up a used receiver and a pair of bookshelves. For your budget, I'd scour thrift stores, junk shops, garage sales, Craigslist, et al. for a good used receiver. They do exist, often under $20. Then I'd pick up a pair of bookshelves like the Insignia NS-B2111 at Best Buy. They might be a few bucks over your budget, but they go on sale now and then.

You should be able to do it all for under $100. Some side benefits will be a radio and probably a phono stage in the receiver. If you come across an old turntable (highly recommended) you'll be able to give it a tuneup and start spinning vinyl. There's a chance the receiver will have a headphone out, too. Also, the Insignia has an audiophile following. There are a number of DIY upgrades and tweaks for it out there.

So, instead of some so-so computer speakers, you could get your feet wet in budget audiophilia.

Oct 3, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #4 of 4

pinkfloyd4ever

500+ Head-Fier
I don't disagree with Uncle Erik (in fact I just recently bought a pair of Insignias) but if you're looking for something quicker & easier, check out AcousticChef's recommendation here http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f21/lo...eakers-286851/

EDIT: Hmmm, I just saw that AcousticChef was banned, so it could be that he was just trying to sell stuff on his website maybe?
confused_face.gif
Anyone heard those speakers he recommended? Look4Computer.com | Computers, Peripheral, Components, and Accessories DIGITAL SPEAKER W/1SUBWOOFER, 2SPEAKERS Anyway, if you don't wanna go Uncle Erik's route, I'd go with the Logitech X-230 (theyre discontinued @ newegg now, but you can definitely find them elsewhere on the net) as I've heard them and could not believe the sound that came from them

Users who are viewing this thread