WOW! Taking the foams out of the HD650 makes a BIG difference!
May 11, 2006 at 5:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Connectz

100+ Head-Fier
Man, I just took the foamies out of my HD 650's and put some regular No Nonsense pantyhose in there and damn it sounds like I have some new headphones!

It seems like the "veil" has been lifted and the presence of the music is just "more". They don't sound so dark and (slightly) muffled anymore. As a matter of fact, I had to tone my Foobar EQ down a few notches to compensate for the extra treble sparkle.

Wow, if you own these cans, you should definately try this mod.

May 11, 2006 at 5:59 AM Post #4 of 13
I'll put some up later.

May 11, 2006 at 6:02 AM Post #5 of 13
Heh, my favorite mod for the 650s. I can't stand listening to them with the foam over the drivers, but it makes a world of difference without the foam... mmm
biggrin.gif

May 11, 2006 at 6:08 AM Post #6 of 13
xp78zq.jpg

xp797o.jpg

May 11, 2006 at 12:07 PM Post #8 of 13
I have done this to, I love this mod. Right now I am using panty hoes in place of the foams, but they are scratchy on my ears, I am going to replace it with some speaker grill.

May 11, 2006 at 1:13 PM Post #10 of 13
I've tried this mod myself a few times and I hear a big difference as well. I prefer it with the foam screens in, though. I've never really noticed any veil with an Equinox cable and without the foam there's not enough weight in the bottom end for my taste; although there is more clarity.

May 11, 2006 at 2:12 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
shiver me thimbers ! there's a contest ?

yes, once again it is time for the annual 'De-Foam your HD6x0's' thread
biggrin.gif

Yes this is somewhat effective at changing the presentation, but after extended listening I re-installed the foams.
But hey, for the time and money involved . . . why not try it? Cheapest mod I know of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back