Wow! Sennheiser HD 540 Reference are so good.
Mar 25, 2019 at 7:44 PM Post #2,641 of 4,350
Finally my Gold are at home... Sooo Happy... I already own RefI and RefII so then will follow impressions... Now few pcts. Really great conditions only needed to be changed dark foams because of Age.
Wow, don't they look great! No doubt the stock cable may be a limiting SQ factor, but still, what a great buy. I wish you all the best with them. Even the pads look good too, at least from the photos. Yes, I imagine the foams under the pads may have expired, are they the ones you mean?

Mar 25, 2019 at 8:32 PM Post #2,642 of 4,350
Wow, don't they look great! No doubt the stock cable may be a limiting SQ factor, but still, what a great buy. I wish you all the best with them. Even the pads look good too, at least from the photos. Yes, I imagine the foams under the pads may have expired, are they the ones you mean?
Yes, I bought original round foams which I already knew I had to replace before little parts of it dirt the drivers. Now everything looks like new but What make me happier are the pads that are still stiff. I own Mogami 2893 cable that I use with my RefI with satisfaction but at the first attempt seems the original has cleaner highs. Instruments are as focused as Mogami and I came back but I Will make more try. It seems to be 600 Ohm version but not really sure. Post pct
IMG_20190325_212753.jpg

Mar 26, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #2,643 of 4,350
Yes, I bought original round foams which I already knew I had to replace before little parts of it dirt the drivers. Now everything looks like new but What make me happier are the pads that are still stiff. I own Mogami 2893 cable that I use with my RefI with satisfaction but at the first attempt seems the original has cleaner highs. Instruments are as focused as Mogami and I came back but I Will make more try. It seems to be 600 Ohm version but not really sure. Post pct
Where did you buy those original round foams?

The Gold itself has cleaner highs than the regular HD 540 I reckon, even with the standard cable.

Have you compared the standard HD 540 Gold cable vs Mogami on your Gold?

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #2,644 of 4,350
Where did you buy those original round foams?

The Gold itself has cleaner highs than the regular HD 540 I reckon, even with the standard cable.

Have you compared the standard HD 540 Gold cable vs Mogami on your Gold?

It was my First day with Gold so no hard comparison between sisters. Mogami cable stayed nearly One hour then back stock but I Will compare them again, I really like Mogami with RefI.
Here where I bought foams

https://m.thomann.de/it/sennheiser_foam_piece_hd_430.htm

Are the same as hd430

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #2,647 of 4,350
How do you find HD 540II and Gold compare to each other soundwise?

I decided to take some days to get used again to the kind of music presentation of these old Sennheiser. Other headphones companies (Akg, Hifiman, etc) reproduce music in different ways and Is always difficult for the brain accomodate with new style, I need time.
Coming from Akg at the begin Sennheiser sound seams confused and to much mixed because Akg tend to focus to each instrument, Sennheiser Is more for the ensemble and then brain Is able to go into and find each.

Sorry for long replay, I'll make a comparison between them with my humble english in few days.

Thinking to It jumping quicky between cans of different company make differences clear and seams useful but not always the result is the same after more time with each of them. But Is not the right topic, Sorry again.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #2,648 of 4,350
I decided to take some days to get used again to the kind of music presentation of these old Sennheiser. Other headphones companies (Akg, Hifiman, etc) reproduce music in different ways and Is always difficult for the brain accomodate with new style, I need time.
Coming from Akg at the begin Sennheiser sound seams confused and to much mixed because Akg tend to focus to each instrument, Sennheiser Is more for the ensemble and then brain Is able to go into and find each.

Sorry for long replay, I'll make a comparison between them with my humble english in few days.

Thinking to It jumping quicky between cans of different company make differences clear and seams useful but not always the result is the same after more time with each of them. But Is not the right topic, Sorry again.
No I mean your Sennheiser HD 540II vs your Sennheiser HD 540 Gold

Mar 27, 2019 at 8:16 PM Post #2,649 of 4,350
No I mean your Sennheiser HD 540II vs your Sennheiser HD 540 Gold

We are speacking about little, really subtle differences, not huge. Gold in What I'm able to hear has a signature a bit "warmer" (not really warm) than the RefII. Bass frequences give you a more solid feeling (always compared with RefII) and more quantity.
Treble Is less on Gold I'd tell the right quantity while RefII sometime Is annoying me because of it.
Instruments and voices appear more focused and definite and Is possible to hear more detail on Gold expecially in music more articulate (many instruments together). Soundstage wide Is similar but the position of each instrument Is more precise with Gold.
I'd tell everything flows more fluid.
Signature of Gold (always in my opinion) Is more similar with RefI than RefII, with more detail.
I used same cable (Mogami 2893) and original pads in good conditions with both. Hope helps

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #2,653 of 4,350
Hello everyone! Long time lurker here...
Hmm... How does the treble balance with the bass? I have velour pads on my HD540G. I actually want to start experimenting with pad rolling also. How did you mount your pads?
Bass is still relatively weak as compared to the treble, however the lower mids through the upper treble are extremely neutral.

Vocal presence is more distant though because the pads are thicker. I prefer the wang pleather pads for the intimate vocals, and the brainwavz sheepskin for the liquid timbre.

When you take your pads out, you should see a black ring attached to the earcups. I use a thin knife under the rings, and pull the knife upwards to get the rings to detach from the cups, they pop right out that way.

After that you put the rings in your pads of choice, with the deeper part of the rings sticking out, and click them back on the earcups.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #2,655 of 4,350
Nice! Im definitely going to jump on some Wang pleathers soon! Timbre and imaging are my favorite things about this headphone. It is almost like meditation when listening.
What pads do you have on them now? I've found the chinese Beyerdynamic DT 880 velour pads to be best for the imaging, certainly using them for gaming that way.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back