Wow! Sennheiser HD 540 Reference are so good.
Apr 13, 2016 at 1:19 AM Post #1,261 of 4,351

Yep! I agree the first time i put them on I thought they sound so bad but after i removed some of my hair out of the way (better seal) the their Likeability has changed Drastically, I don't favour closed headphones so much, but this have very good resolution, and very (too much?) analog sound. 

Apr 13, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #1,262 of 4,351
  if you want a quick listen
try push the TH600 earcups

I actually tried this already.

The earpads are both still inflated, and I have very short hair - so I definitely got a good seal.
With my short hair I get a good seal even without pushing the cups against my head, and the difference between holding and not holding was minor.

The ONLY thing that changed was a VERY SLIGHT boost in the bass.

Pushing the cups on for a 100% seal did absolutely nothing for the cr*ppy frequency response and the awful cups full of horrible plasticky sound reflections. 
The soundstage is tiny, and there is absolutely no air and delicacy to the sound.
That's just how I hear it.

Not really sure what you're trying to prove with the youtube videos.
The microphone on that camera is nowhere near good enough to capture the quality of those speakers :/
Through your camera they just sound like one of these:

Apr 13, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #1,265 of 4,351
  but pressing it really hard, really does transform this headphones

Tried it again after I got back home from work.
I totally disagree.

Apr 13, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #1,266 of 4,351
I did pull out my pads, opened the 4 screws and carefully pulled out the drivers plus the plastic around it without yanking out any cable and I stuffed a large enough piece of cloth in the hollow space behind the drivers and closed it back up, this took care of most of the plasticy resonance sound. and I also Bent my headband inwards as much as possible to get the tight seal, but the only thing is the air pressure/underwater effect from the seal that i guess won't go away. these things have potential thats for sure, when i switch to my philips x2's they just sound so much grainy, only bass is better

Apr 13, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #1,267 of 4,351
  I actually tried this already.

The earpads are both still inflated, and I have very short hair - so I definitely got a good seal.
With my short hair I get a good seal even without pushing the cups against my head, and the difference between holding and not holding was minor.

The ONLY thing that changed was a VERY SLIGHT boost in the bass.

Pushing the cups on for a 100% seal did absolutely nothing for the cr*ppy frequency response and the awful cups full of horrible plasticky sound reflections. 
The soundstage is tiny, and there is absolutely no air and delicacy to the sound.
That's just how I hear it.

Not really sure what you're trying to prove with the youtube videos.
The microphone on that camera is nowhere near good enough to capture the quality of those speakers :/
Through your camera they just sound like one of these:

Sorry to hear that,
when seal properly, it should at least fix the "bathroom" sound
and those TH600 headphones need a top quality source,like Sony Qualia 010,they are super revealing
(TH30 will sound much better than TH600 on a portable player)
and please give it 1-2 days to break-in 

Apr 13, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #1,268 of 4,351
After TH600 broken-in (just 1-2 days), the  "plastic sound" should gone too.

but to get good quantity bass & good sound, the only way is use them on a high quality source
(include HD540,people should not use EQ to fix the bass)

Apr 13, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #1,269 of 4,351
In my experience of using HD540II with studio quality electronics from Graham Slee, I felt that the 540 bass weight lacks a bit when compared to devices like the HD800. The extension all the way down low is certainly there but the very lowest frequencies are lacking some weight and energy. This is because the driver size is quite small so it just can't move the air with any more authority. I would still consider the bass to be present and superbly controlled but it won't thunder enough to satisfy some listeners. You won't find such excellent transparency and tonal accuracy in many other headphones though.

Also, the Etymotic ER-4S is fantastic. It sounds like a HD540II with less bass weight and a slightly more forward upper midrange. Tonality of both is equally great. ER-4S has a very clear and spatial stereo image when properly inserted. 

Apr 13, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #1,270 of 4,351
A properly driven & sealed TH600 will sound better than ER4S/4B
(& ER4S/B are better than hd540)

I would only recommend TH600/500/60/50 to very experiened users
because:
1.A lot of them,about 50%,are defective  (no sound)
2.10-15% sound weird (a high peak at 250hz)
3.Require good sealing, high quality source and ....patience

I've seen some HD800 ER4 HE560 users got very good result on a TH600
when something is wrong, they can sound really bad

Apr 16, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #1,271 of 4,351
I know it's HD540 thread, but there are many vintage Senns experts in the thread so I try to ask here - is there any detailed manual on how to disassemble HD 250 Linear II? I took off the pads and that's it - I don't see any screws or clips in the cup.

Apr 17, 2016 at 5:02 AM Post #1,272 of 4,351
The HD250 pads pull out carefully just like those of the HD540. Many of the parts of these two headphones are interchangeable. Hold the HD250 capsule in one hand and tuck the fingers of the other hand underneath the pad. Then pull them apart carefully and you will hear them unclick.

Apr 21, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #1,273 of 4,351
Slightly off topic folks, I acquired a pair of HD 250 Linear II's this morning.
Only listened to a handful of tracks so far, but lets just say the 'bass heads' amongst you should be happy with these babies!

Bass is noticeably deeper than the HD 540, but tight and controlled. Midrange sounds fine too, but I need to do some side by side comparisons with my 540's to make sure (to my tastes) that the mid's are not too recessed.

Sound stage is nice, good separation between instruments.......  Got to go now, I'me busy listening to music! 
biggrin.gif

Apr 27, 2016 at 7:50 AM Post #1,274 of 4,351
I need to decide what to do with my remaining earpad foam now that all of my HD540 headphones are sold. I can cut them and sell them to people wanting to improve their HD540 earpads, I can send the foam uncut to people and guide them how to cut it to shape or I can simply forget about it and throw it all in the bin. I think I have enough foam squares to cut for about 10-15 pairs of HD540 pads.

If anyone is interested, please reply. Won't be charging much. Just the postage cost and a couple of quid for the time it takes me to cut them by hand.

Alternatively, I can sell all of it uncut for £10 and include the cutting board and cookie cutters that I use to cut them to shape. I won't enclose the scalpel so you'll have to source your own.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back