Wow! Sennheiser HD 540 Reference are so good.
Mar 12, 2020 at 2:14 AM Post #2,821 of 4,350
Oh btw, the only thing that underwhelmed me was the bass (both extension and midbass impact) with the 300 ohm version
When I got to hear a set of 300 ohm HD540 IIs, I found that they had some musical similarities with my Ref 1s, but it was that upper mid/lower treble peak that got to me on some music, even though it's always there, just less noticeable on some music. From memory, I remember a slight mid bass hump that is not there on my Ref1s, which are quite a bit more linear in extension both ends of the spectrum until the very top end roll off. I used the Mogami cable on both and while I mostly enjoyed the Ref IIs, the Ref1s are a wider open window, I find. Having owned them since new in 1989, I still utterly love what they bring to a musical event, nothing else I've heard allows such organic immersion into the performance, despite not being as ultimately detailed as say, the HD6XX (although only in some areas) and the Mogami'd HE 400 S cans with A pads, the latter having it's own little lower treble peak and less 3D soundstage. The Ref1s disappear on my head, as if they physically play no further part than project the soundstage of musicians. With everything else, I know I'm actually wearing a device, regardless of sound quality. I have not, however, heard the likes of the top end HifiMAN, Audeze and Focal etc. The lower models I did hear did not make me lust after them and want to put the Ref1s away. I like the HD250 Linear 1s from the mids on up, where they truly are linear! As for that bass though ..... sigh. I cannot live with it after the Ref1s, I much prefer my Sony MDR-1Rs (Mogami'd) if I want closed cans, tuneful little fellas.

Apr 4, 2020 at 8:00 AM Post #2,823 of 4,350
No, sorry, Burnart. Probably others do though.

Apr 4, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #2,824 of 4,350
IMG_20200404_184336.jpg

Apr 4, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #2,826 of 4,350
I knew what you meant, but although one or two folks here have attempted to change just the inner foam ... what a PITA! I could suggest you may be better off just buying a new set of pads altogether. If you have a pair of the original soft cloth covered pads, then I can certainly understand you wanted to keep the outer fabric, I had two sets of them and when they went to the bin eventually, there were no more to be found. I tried a number of other pads and liked none of them until I bought a set of the 'wang' pleather pads mentioned many times by several users here, there are copious notes within these pages. I'm not suggesting they are the ones for you, they just transformed my own listening with my own cables and gear. There are many pads out there, but do watch the memory foam versions, some models can really sap the life out of the music, deaden the top end and basically ruin the terrific open sound and timbral qualities of the HD540 Refs.

Apr 5, 2020 at 5:13 AM Post #2,828 of 4,350
I meant foam in the pads, not under the pads :)
An sorry! Reread and now I get it :)
8F4228EA-4CB3-4D86-9263-91A1069BAF2D.jpeg27B07CDD-9EB3-4FDA-ADFB-1989A30696AA.jpeg
That looks good! Well made. I have all velour pads on my pair. Not sure if they are original though. Stored my gold's somewhere for a later day.

May 5, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #2,829 of 4,350
Hello to the thread. I want to say that I joined the 540 Reference club with a pair of 540 Reference Gold (300 ohm) bought from Arielext (posting above). I only did one switch between the 540 and the 600 and the latter certainly sound fuller, but with just one afternoon of listening, I can say that these sound very nice and natural. I am listening to some tracks from The Wailin' Jennys and really enjoying the female vocals.

I look forward to learning more about these, potential earpad replacements, etc.

Currently I am pairing them with my RME ADI-2 DAC and the Chord Mojo. But my Woo Audio WA3 should be here by Friday, so I will get to test them with tubes soon.

Here are some great pictures of the unit from Arielext, the previous owner who obviously took great care of them:

11223634.jpg11223641.jpg

May 14, 2020 at 8:58 PM Post #2,831 of 4,350
Just got HD540 Ref I 600 ohms. I'm in love. This will certainly quell my longing for HD800, even if there are people are on other forums who don't think it's comparable at all to HD800. LOL (I do want a HD540 Gold 600 ohms now though haha)

Anyways, right now I'm running this through my Creative G6. Of course that works because it can drive 600ohm cans, but what budget options should I be looking at for dacs and amps? I was thinking maybe Dragonfly Red (so I can have full MQA support with second unfolding) plus Schiit Heresy. Thoughts on that combo?

May 14, 2020 at 9:10 PM Post #2,832 of 4,350
Just got HD540 Ref I 600 ohms. I'm in love. This will certainly quell my longing for HD800, even if there are people are on other forums who don't think it's comparable at all to HD800. LOL (I do want a HD540 Gold 600 ohms now though haha)

Anyways, right now I'm running this through my Creative G6. Of course that works because it can drive 600ohm cans, but what budget options should I be looking at for dacs and amps? I was thinking maybe Dragonfly Red (so I can have full MQA support with second unfolding) plus Schiit Heresy. Thoughts on that combo?
The finest sounding combo I have now for the Ref1s is still the Schiit Modi Multibit, silver cables to a Magni 3 (3+ or Heresy are likely even better) with my Questyle QP1R as source via optical cable - the Mimby seems to have higher SQ via optical than USB, coax is ok. The Ref1s disappear when used like that, big soundstage, though intimate as opposed to slightly distant, depth and height to the stage. I'm considering a Magni 3+ or even Asgard 3. Some folks really like the Project Ember amps for their Ref 1s, add DAC of choice. However, I've just re-read that you want MQA support, so maybe the AQ DACs are better suited :)

May 17, 2020 at 4:58 AM Post #2,833 of 4,350
8F4228EA-4CB3-4D86-9263-91A1069BAF2D.jpeg27B07CDD-9EB3-4FDA-ADFB-1989A30696AA.jpeg
How would you comparw the t3050 foam to the original is it close enough. Do they still retain the opennes and airienesss with low end. Is the balance like it was with thw original foam?.
Have redone them myself. First with just brainwavz memory foam(taht sucked). Then replaced only the outer foam ring wirh the aame mermory foam and inner one left original. Got quite close to the intended sound. Though would like to know how one could identify the foam they uaed originally. Accorsing to sennheiser they di a lot of research to select the particular materials in the pads for 540 reference gold.

May 17, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #2,834 of 4,350
The finest sounding combo I have now for the Ref1s is still the Schiit Modi Multibit, silver cables to a Magni 3 (3+ or Heresy are likely even better) with my Questyle QP1R as source via optical cable - the Mimby seems to have higher SQ via optical than USB, coax is ok. The Ref1s disappear when used like that, big soundstage, though intimate as opposed to slightly distant, depth and height to the stage. I'm considering a Magni 3+ or even Asgard 3. Some folks really like the Project Ember amps for their Ref 1s, add DAC of choice. However, I've just re-read that you want MQA support, so maybe the AQ DACs are better suited :)

Why aren't you using the HD540 straight out of the QP1R, the amplification is better.

May 17, 2020 at 6:54 PM Post #2,835 of 4,350
Why aren't you using the HD540 straight out of the QP1R, the amplification is better.
Because the QP1R outputs only about 40-45mW of Class A amp power and the Ref1s are a 600 ohm load. Nowhere near enough power to drive them correctly and while 300 ohm models will work, there's not enough real bass drive and oomph for me. True, the QP1R is an exceptionally fine DAC/amp and is magnificently clean, fast and musically communicative with the 22 ohm HifiMAN HE400S cans, but even they are better driven again with the 250mW Class A amp in my restored 1977 Perreaux SP-100 pre-amp. I don't travel much with the QP1R these days, so it's mostly a superb digital source for full AAIF files into the Mimby and various amps and it gets used regularly as a compact test source when I'm working on the vintage amps I restore. It's even better with the most recent updates, the control wheel functions waaay better than originally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back