1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Wow! Sennheiser HD 540 Reference are so good.

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by hairspray, Jun 29, 2013.
First

Back
151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160
162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171
Next

Last
  1. BucketInABucket
    I need to get a pair of those Chinese pleathers tbh, may I have a link please?

2. dakanao
  3. myusernameislove
    No and no.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  4. myusernameislove
    This month I am going to try 2 more pads - Brainwavz perforated pleather XL and chinese pads from wang_yifei. Next month or month after that I may try more pads from Thomann //edit/ but I also may just buy few more Hd430 pads instead - those are best.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  5. 2002tiiguy
    20181203_193419.jpg 20181203_193404.jpg
    No idea what pads these are, and i know im new to head-fi and the headphone game, but these sound absolutely phenomenal. I kinda stopped listening to everything else i have lol

trellus likes this.
  6. myusernameislove
    It is one of those chinese noname pads. Just search KRQ red pads on Amazon or Aliexpress. Looks like standard thick wrap pleather, kinda low profile and rather unusual mesh foam inserts. I would suspect such pads to sound somewhere in between higher profile thick wrap Brainwavz pads and low profile thin wrap chinese pads. That might add a bit of bass amount and softness and body (in opposite to thin wrap chinese pads) while messing with the sound a little less (or similarily?) then higher profile Brainwavz pads.

2002tiiguy likes this.
  7. dakanao
    When you say the Brainwavz pleather destroys the natural sound characteristics, do you mean like the soundstage and imaging, or does it make the sound less realistic?

Because I don't mind soundstage and imaging loss, for more body to the vocals, smoother treble and more bass.

8. myusernameislove
    Brainwavz pads add so much bass that it sounds close to my modded planar Hifiman HE-400i, except the bass does not go as low. But the amount of bass is there, the body is there - and the heights are destroyed. It sounds muffled. The beauty is gone. I think it does nothing to soundstage. But there still may be hope - because I tried another noname cheap pleather pads with higher profile and a thicker pleather wrap, and it destroys (muffles) high frequencies less than Brainwavz pads. Thick-wrap pleather pads are very comfortable. I think the key is to keep looking in that direction - into not too thick, but also not too thin pleather wrap pads with medium height, round pads. Something like the red pads that the guy has shown to us, but probably thinner wrap. I think that the thickness of the wrap adds bass but takes away the treble. Compromise must be found. Comfort is usually achieved with thicker wrap and softer inner foam. So far the HD430 pads from Thomann with thin inner foam inserts from ebay sound best, but I am currently having it on HD560 Ovation 2 as it arrived today and it sounds wonderfull. Chinese pleather pads from ebay are on its way. HD430 pads are more comfortable (a little softer) than those noname pleather pads I posted on those 2 photos, but it still is not as comfy as Brainwavz pads...

9. BucketInABucket
    Personally I found stock HD540 to be too bright so brainwavz pads are a big improvement

10. sennsay
    That's normally the case only when used with the old stock cable/original pads combo ........ unless you are extraordinarily sensitive in the upper midband, even when using smoother cables and pads!
    When well balanced with say, Mogami cable (or similar) and good pleather pads with a quality DAC/amp combo, there should only be an open, extended and organically delightful musical performance dancing forth from said headphones :) No harshness, no edge, yet still detailed and alive. This is my continued experience even with a mid-priced 20 year old Technics SA-290 receiver using an SL 1900 turntable as a source, as I have lately, still so much fun! I'm enjoying the combo so much that the Mimby is having a rest. Occasionally, I take the Tape Out from the amp and into the Magni 3 and listen to my LPs that way as well. The dynamic driving rhythms via the mint EEI 500 Parabolic cartridge, with a new LP Gear stylus on it, are brilliant! Next year, I will have owned my 1989-bought HD540 Ref1s for 30 years and they are still my favourite headphones! By upgrading the pads to pleather and the cable to Mogami, they have only shown more of the brilliant communication skills and organically alive quality that was apparent from brand new.
    I was horrified at what the particular Brainwavz (I'm aware that there are different versions) and Dekoni Elite Velour pads did to destroy the balance of my Ref1s! An already superbly balanced SQ from my electronics and Ref1s was thrown into mush and I got rid of them very quickly when I sold the HD6XX. Those pads might have been slightly more acceptable with a much brighter and leaner system, yet still only a tone control.

myusernameislove likes this.
  11. myusernameislove
  12. jon parker
    I have tried them - thought they made the 540's sounds awful - very thin and anemic :/

The only pads that I have found to really work wonders on the 540's is the old grey velour pads that came with the HD 560 Ovation. I have even bought a couple of them just to get the pads!!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    sennsay likes this.
  13. myusernameislove
    Original HD560 grey Velour pads are for sale here: https://www.audiosanctuary.co.uk/sennheiser-hd560-ovation-hd560-ovation-ii-earpads-black.html
    Original HD525 / 565 / 265 oval soft pleather pads were supposed to be unavailable as well but they have them too https://www.audiosanctuary.co.uk/sennheiser-hd525-replacement-annular-earpads-with-foam-disc.html

Ordered 1 piece each to see if it is worth it. Currently I have 1x HD540 600 Ohm, 1x HD560 Ovation 1 and 1x HD560 Ovation 2, 1x HD250 Linear 1 600 Ohm, 1x HD250 Linear 2. And 1x HD265 with the original soft pleather pads, 1x HD565 with worn out velour pads (those will be replaced).

14. dakanao
    How do the Ovations 2 compare to your HD 540?

15. myusernameislove
    Apples to Oranges. I need same pads. I have 4 channel amp to compare phones. After new year soonest.

First

Back
151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160
162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171
Next

Last