1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Wow! Sennheiser HD 540 Reference are so good.

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by hairspray, Jun 29, 2013.
First

Back
149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158
160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169
Next

Last
  1. sennsay
    No, I didn't think you had bought the original steel cable, just that there are a few folks out there that are still using it :) Yes, the new 1.3M HD6xx cable is better than the stock cable, it's a worthwhile budget replacement cable and sounds good, no Mogami, but good ... without the sheer refinement and extension.

2. myusernameislove
    [​IMG]

Malfunkt and WilliamLeonhart like this.
  3. dakanao
    Aren't those the stock pads? And weren't you using the Brainwavz oval leather pads?

4. dakanao
    What cable here are you referring to, that sounds worse than the stock steel cable?

5. dakanao
    So I tried looking for the HD 6xx stock cable for 2 days, but I can't find anyone who sells it? Are they not sold seperatly?

If anyone knows where I can buy it, please let me know

6. myusernameislove
    This photo is 2 weeks old.

dakanao likes this.
  7. sennsay
    They were a (the only) stock replacement for the HD540 from Sennheiser Australia some years ago, just thin and quite basic copper cable, sounding ok, smoother (yet lacking something vital) than the original steel cable. Pretty much the equivalent of cheap patch cables given away with electronics as a starter. They are not HD650 cables.
    I bought them because the original cable was starting to separate between each channel wire, most likely from way too much dancing around and occasionally pulling the cable out of either the headphones or the amplifier :) Ya see what these cans can do for the joy of music! I've spent many hours in years gone by like that.
    I still see these el cheapo replacements on eBay from time to time. Don't bother with them ....... unless you want something purely for emergency duties. I still have mine and they just sit in a box of spare cables. Fortunately, I have another set of original steel cables that came with the HD430's from Germany, they are in great condition, though without the 4 pin original adapter that came with my HD540 Ref1s back in 1989 when I bought them brand new for $269NZ. They are the only piece of hifi gear that I've kept with me for almost 30 years and I can still remember listening to them new.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  8. dakanao
    And so the HD 6xx short cable is better than both of them?

Do you perhaps have one HD 6xx cable I can buy from you?

9. sennsay
    Yes it is, recommended as a general replacement cable. No, sorry mate, I sold my HD6xx and all pads and cable with it. You may be able to get one from Massdrop, either from a drop or via one of the other HD6xx guys there, plenty of chat on the HD6xx forum.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  10. ArChaos
    sennsay likes this.
  11. dakanao
  12. sennsay
  13. sennsay
    Yes, a much better option! There's a lot of HD6xx out there now, so someone will no doubt be willing to part with one after buying an aftermarket cable. I was quite please with the results on the HD540's.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  14. myusernameislove
    How would HD540 (Reference 1 600 Ohm with Brainwavz pads) compare to the sound od HD660S? Would it still be superior in technical aspects, tonality, musicality and detail retrieval? And what about HD800S? Did they fix the clinical sound problem, that would lead you to pick HD540 instead of HD800 for both technical mastery and musicality?

/ edit I guess I will need to do these comparions myself. In my local store they have Aeon Flow Open, HD660S, HD800S and LCD-X all available for listening, so if I ask kindly, they may let me compare their sound to HD540 on their KANN for few minutes each.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  15. myusernameislove
    Hi, two additional questions.

I personally run HD540 (with bassier and fuller sounding Brainwavz pads) through darker sounding DAC+AMP combo, but I wonder, if anyone did compare its sound WITH BRAINWAVZ PADS on both darker sounding (multibit, R2R) aparature and clearer and brighter sounding delta sigma aparature. What did he prefer? In my opinion R2R adds wonderful texture, and proper delta sigma solution would add increased detail and clarity while removing some of the darker background (which I am unsure if that is a good or bad thing, depending on preferences) and it would probably also decrease that texture and fluidiness, that is typical for R2R solutions.

If someone was looking for cheapest possible yet technically good enough solution to start enjoying his 600 Ohm or 300 OHm version of HD540 with Brainwavz pads, for which AMP+DAC combo should he look in the sub (or around) 100USD category? In my opinion he would have to go the typical Delta sigma dac sound route (with increased clarity and detail retrieval) with powerful enough amp to drive these. Also, such price category is dominated by cheap chinese solutions, that can sound surprisingly good for the amount of cash you pay. Would X-AUDIO DAC-X6 2.0 that goes for 65USD do the trick? In its specs we can see Output power: 90mw / 600Ω, 180mw / 300Ω, 450mw / 100Ω, 610mw / 62Ω, 910mw / 32Ω, 1000mw / 16Ω . Is that sufficient?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
First

Back
149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158
160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169
Next

Last