Wow! Sennheiser HD 540 Reference are so good.
Apr 18, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #2,011 of 4,350
Nicely done Sir :)
there is a division of the company work for that has done some 3D printing - I'll look into it

BTW: Those are the pads that I am currently selling :D
What pads are they, mr parker? Pray tell, sir.

Apr 19, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #2,012 of 4,350
Ah well, Im glad you ask Sir
Tis these
http://www.storkz.com/brainwavz-bwa...wmEi-bf_Cuqm90sjRoJWDiz-1LV5IFEgaAtdpEALw_wcB

I also have a pair of the leather one of these . . . that Im happy to sell

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Replacem...var=561044994507&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

:)

PS Just bought the [late] 1970's Sennheiser HD 400 !
Phenomenal headphones for the times. I would just as happily sit outside in the garden with them as I would the 540's !!
Well, I wouldn't feel that I was loosing out too much sonically speaking
Which blows my mind :)

Apr 19, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #2,013 of 4,350
Ah well, Im glad you ask Sir
Tis these
http://www.storkz.com/brainwavz-bwa...wmEi-bf_Cuqm90sjRoJWDiz-1LV5IFEgaAtdpEALw_wcB

I also have a pair of the leather one of these . . . that Im happy to sell

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Replacement-Ear-Pads-Cushion-For-HD520-HD530-HD-HD530-II-HD-520-530-Headphones/261338110308?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=561044994507&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

:)

PS Just bought the [late] 1970's Sennheiser HD 400 !
Phenomenal headphones for the times. I would just as happily sit outside in the garden with them as I would the 540's !!
Well, I wouldn't feel that I was loosing out too much sonically speaking
Which blows my mind :)
Blimey, we're both going (further) back in time :) I'm looking at getting a pair of HD430 (early model) even if they're knackered, I can use the headband.
Soo, are you saying the Brainwavz pads are better than the thinner ones you're selling ... ? They're the pads I use on my Ref1s but initially weren't so hot on the HD250s .... but now that they have loosened up considerably from the tightness after being left on a shelf for some time, I may have to try them again. Still, I have the 'orhpolster' German pads on the way now. Are those Brainwavz pads as comfy as they look?
I can barely take the HD250s off my head now! The amount of detail I've never heard before during live concerts is startling. Talk about 3D separation and depth!

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #2,014 of 4,350
Blimey, we're both going (further) back in time :) I'm looking at getting a pair of HD430 (early model) even if they're knackered, I can use the headband.
Soo, are you saying the Brainwavz pads are better than the thinner ones you're selling ... ? They're the pads I use on my Ref1s but initially weren't so hot on the HD250s .... but now that they have loosened up considerably from the tightness after being left on a shelf for some time, I may have to try them again. Still, I have the 'orhpolster' German pads on the way now. Are those Brainwavz pads as comfy as they look?

DUDE! I had a pair of HD 430 early model arrive last week - They sound similar to the HD400 - beautifully natural, balanced superbly tuned headphones. I hate to use the phrase because I dont want it misunderstood BUT for their age / time they were made they sound very very good - In fact much better than all the mid tier headphones I tried in a recent airport shop

AND I did just that - used the headband from the 430's for my 250's - Win Win! The 250 headband was kinda 'n' shaped where as the 430s are more the 'C' shape so better fit :)

The Brainwavz pads are deluxe! super lush, firm yet soft and comfy! - They weren't quite right for me sonically on the 540 but then I am super fussy with things like that. As for the other ones that everyone seems to love, again, they just didn't quite work for me. Will have something to do with my set up im sure but when I find a pad that makes a headphone sound 'right' I just stick with it. Ive been really lucky in this regard with velour pads working wonders on almost all my vintage AKG's

Apr 19, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #2,015 of 4,350
So then, what has happened to Sennheiser since then? Is it public response that is asking for more ultra detailed headphones that have seemingly lost the plot a bit as far as truly balanced, coherent and holistic musicality is concerned? A mix of both the Sennheiser techs and public need/desire, maybe. Look at the HD700/800 series and how much mucking around is often required to get them to sound balanced. It seems the current trend is for either extremely revealing, ulterior-detailed cans like the HD800/Focal Utopia/HDxxxxyou know who you are etc or the Beats style with bass, bro!
I might just have to go for a set of those HD430s after all :) I like balance and so far as that's concerned, the most truly organically alive balanced cans I have are the HD540 Ref1s as I have them at the moment, even if the HD250s are more detailed :)
Mmm, Brainwavz pads .... another thing on the list!

Apr 19, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #2,016 of 4,350
Man are these HD250 Linear picky little beasts as far as pads go! I've just gone back to those pleather pads that are so blissful on the Ref1s and the transformation over the DT880 velour pads is night and day. The mids become noticeably more laid back and less 3D defined, the mid bass increases significantly (as does the lower bass to a lesser extent) and the treble rolls off a bit. Drum strikes are incredibly .... striking .... with their transient speed and impact! Fast, weighty and taut. The mids are not as stunningly focused as with the velour pads, which can be incredibly attractive, especially with live material, the sheer depth and detail is reduced here. Some might say more evenly balanced overall, but I'm missing that astonishing midrange. Maybe the new German 'orhpolster' pads will bring me the best of both worlds :)

Apr 20, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #2,017 of 4,350
So then, what has happened to Sennheiser since then? Is it public response that is asking for more ultra detailed headphones that have seemingly lost the plot a bit as far as truly balanced, coherent and holistic musicality is concerned? A mix of both the Sennheiser techs and public need/desire, maybe. Look at the HD700/800 series and how much mucking around is often required to get them to sound balanced. It seems the current trend is for either extremely revealing, ulterior-detailed cans like the HD800/Focal Utopia/HDxxxxyou know who you are etc or the Beats style with bass, bro!
I might just have to go for a set of those HD430s after all :) I like balance and so far as that's concerned, the most truly organically alive balanced cans I have are the HD540 Ref1s as I have them at the moment, even if the HD250s are more detailed :)
Mmm, Brainwavz pads .... another thing on the list!

Well thats the weird thing - it was ALL the great headphone company's - AKG - K240 Sextett / Beyerdynamic - DT 880 / sennehiser 540 / 250 - For that brief 5-8 year period some of the best headphones ever made arose. personally I think
A. it was to do with the engineers at the time having a lot of experience and an open fresh mind
B. This was still a time before digital so engineers had to rely on their ears!
C. Most 'serious' people were listening to Jazz / classical so they tuned their headphones for that - Because a lot of jazz & classical are recorded / produced and mastered especially well then that would certainly explain the excellance
D. Now its all about making a lot of money - With the ipod people unknowingly sacrificed quality for quantity :/
C. and more . . . :)

Apr 20, 2018 at 7:03 PM Post #2,018 of 4,350
DUDE! I had a pair of HD 430 early model arrive last week - They sound similar to the HD400 - beautifully natural, balanced superbly tuned headphones. I hate to use the phrase because I dont want it misunderstood BUT for their age / time they were made they sound very very good - In fact much better than all the mid tier headphones I tried in a recent airport shop

AND I did just that - used the headband from the 430's for my 250's - Win Win! The 250 headband was kinda 'n' shaped where as the 430s are more the 'C' shape so better fit :)

The Brainwavz pads are deluxe! super lush, firm yet soft and comfy! - They weren't quite right for me sonically on the 540 but then I am super fussy with things like that. As for the other ones that everyone seems to love, again, they just didn't quite work for me. Will have something to do with my set up im sure but when I find a pad that makes a headphone sound 'right' I just stick with it. Ive been really lucky in this regard with velour pads working wonders on almost all my vintage AKG's

Can please share a pic of the 540 with the brainwave pads on? I currently have a hifiman focus pad on my 540 and they sound great but I'm looking for some pads that will put a little more distance from the ears.

Apr 20, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #2,019 of 4,350
Well thats the weird thing - it was ALL the great headphone company's - AKG - K240 Sextett / Beyerdynamic - DT 880 / sennehiser 540 / 250 - For that brief 5-8 year period some of the best headphones ever made arose. personally I think
A. it was to do with the engineers at the time having a lot of experience and an open fresh mind
B. This was still a time before digital so engineers had to rely on their ears!
C. Most 'serious' people were listening to Jazz / classical so they tuned their headphones for that - Because a lot of jazz & classical are recorded / produced and mastered especially well then that would certainly explain the excellance
D. Now its all about making a lot of money - With the ipod people unknowingly sacrificed quality for quantity :/
C. and more . . . :)
I'd agree with D and the others all make sense and my own growing listening experience to other cans from that era confirm there seemed to be a different 'feel' for music reflected in the coherent communication of those very headphones.
I watched the most excellent doc on Netflix last night called, Sound City, the story of Dave Grohl's buying of one of only four of it's type Neve mixing desks from that iconic recording studio. It cost twice as much as the studio owner's house!
This wonderful film describes the move to digital and the different pressures on studios and the sound that was created from them, compared to the incredible sound of this great desk, where musicians got together in one room and communicated their life blood in music in analogue. If you haven't seen it, just do it, stream it to your home sound system in the lounge like I did (brilliant!) or pop on a set of cans connected to the desk top rig and listen in. A beautifully made film by Dave Grohl, it's where the early Nirvana records were recorded and sooo many other great bands of the 70's and 80's.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #2,020 of 4,350
Aha - made it work !!
3xpad angle.JPG
3xpad.JPG

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #2,021 of 4,350
15gv05s.jpg
[/IMG]

Here you can see the 540's with the the same pads as above on the 540 :)

Attachments

• 3xpad angle.JPG
    3xpad angle.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 3xpad.JPG
    3xpad.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 27, 2018 at 5:33 AM Post #2,022 of 4,350
Wow, I've just bought a pair of Senn HD430s in superb condition! I just wanted a headband! These were in such great nick though, I couldn't help myself :) New original leather pads too.
I have also had shared with me some very important information re the HD250s. The original HD250s came with a very specially shaped foam inner that lifted the edges of the ear pads, this provides the correct air pathway for the bass of the HD250s to be truly linear as designed. Anything other than that makes the HD250s less linear than intended to varying degrees. These shaped foams allow airflow of the bass to flow correctly from the small bass tube/port behind the drivers. Since these special foams are now very hard to source apparently, my tech buddy uses the original Senn HD400/410/414 foam ear pads which are almost perfect in replicating the original foams. They are also the correct density of foam that Sennheiser designed for the HD250s. The pics will show what I mean. I really got what he meant and ordered the 400/410/414 pads instantly and they ought to be in my hands probably Monday now. The new original German leather pads also shouldn't be too far away. Also, although a number of folks take out the felt ring, best response for greatest linearity is to leave them in.
I'm very much looking forward to hearing my own HD250 Linear cans as intended! Mids and top end are very good at the moment, but I can easily hear that they go nowhere as deep in the bass, or as linearly, as my Ref1s. The HD414 pads are used as they are and the lifted edges (12mm) hold the HD250 ear pads at the right height and reduce to about 1mm in the centre. Seems a lot of peeps don't know this info about the HD250s.

!
s-l500.jpg
Linear II.jpg
Unknown-4.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2018 at 7:52 AM Post #2,023 of 4,350

jon parker, did you find that the HD430s had a bright treble peak? I read one review that said his did have quite a sharp spike, but that could also be amp dependant. I probably ought to have bought some cheapies just for the headband, but really, the one's I bought tonight look almost like new. Pads look great, I could pirate not only the h/band but the pads as well! Try 'em on the Ref1s or the HD250s. I'm just finding more and more to like about that era of Senns. Haven't gone down the Beyer path as yet.

Apr 27, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #2,024 of 4,350
jon parker, did you find that the HD430s had a bright treble peak? I read one review that said his did have quite a sharp spike, but that could also be amp dependant. I probably ought to have bought some cheapies just for the headband, but really, the one's I bought tonight look almost like new. Pads look great, I could pirate not only the h/band but the pads as well! Try 'em on the Ref1s or the HD250s. I'm just finding more and more to like about that era of Senns. Haven't gone down the Beyer path as yet.

Not in the slightest - in fact like the other 2 i bought from the same period (HD400, HD 414x) they are all creamy smooth, clear and very very well balanced throughout the whole range (considering their age especially!)
Did you enjoy the HD430's ? I use mine now for daily PC listening, vids, youtube etc etc, gaming
I still have the 430 orignal pads in great shape - I will get round to trying them and the German pads on my ref 1's soon

Superb job on your info though - keep it coming !

i found an old yellow flat pad from that era as well that I forgot I had and tried putting them under the german pads on the 250 but it muffles the trebles and mids too much - Not a huge amount but enough

Was also thinking [with respect] one has to be careful about goind down the better bass route. Its always a temptation to feel more bass or low end would be better
I say this because a well done / tuned / recorded low end / bass is actually very rare
Quality of bass is subtle
A famous engineer recently said that in his 40 years of sound engineering it was only in the last few that he really started to appreciate and understand bass
I was thinking about this earlier and listening to my 250's - The bass isnt huge but fits very well and respectfully with everything else in freq range :)

Apr 27, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #2,025 of 4,350
Not in the slightest - in fact like the other 2 i bought from the same period (HD400, HD 414x) they are all creamy smooth, clear and very very well balanced throughout the whole range (considering their age especially!)
Did you enjoy the HD430's ? I use mine now for daily PC listening, vids, youtube etc etc, gaming
I still have the 430 orignal pads in great shape - I will get round to trying them and the German pads on my ref 1's soon

Superb job on your info though - keep it coming !

i found an old yellow flat pad from that era as well that I forgot I had and tried putting them under the german pads on the 250 but it muffles the trebles and mids too much - Not a huge amount but enough

Was also thinking [with respect] one has to be careful about goind down the better bass route. Its always a temptation to feel more bass or low end would be better
I say this because a well done / tuned / recorded low end / bass is actually very rare
Quality of bass is subtle
A famous engineer recently said that in his 40 years of sound engineering it was only in the last few that he really started to appreciate and understand bass
I was thinking about this earlier and listening to my 250's - The bass isnt huge but fits very well and respectfully with everything else in freq range :)
No, I won't be receiving the 430s for a good week or so, I imagine. Nice to know your experience of the 430s is of a smooth and balanced type. Detailed too? I suspect that the reviewer of the sharp and bright 430s had old and worn pads, rather symptomatic of the 540s too, combined with old velour pads. My Senn tech buddy is actually a studio recording engineer of many years experience and relies on his HD250 Linear 2s to tell him what's happening. He monitors with an O2 amp, believe it or not, incredibly accurate detail on drum pans, fades etc. He knows how the HD250s are at their best for the most accurate results. I consider myself a bit privileged to garner some of his expertise ☺
As they currently are, my own HD250s are quite inaccurate in the bass, more of a blob of bass with some mid bass detail and the rest of it just warm weight with no real depth and articulation. The REF1s cream them for deep extended detail without disturbing the midrange. Some organ music the other night made that blatantly obvious! Mids were good though. I miss the Ref1s and may have to pop the headband back on them for a good session this weekend.
Regarding your last excellent comments on bass response and quality, I agree entirely! My 250s are definitely off song though and I'm hanging out to hear them as they should be, correct pads, foams and all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back