Wow! Sansa Fuze- color me impressed- Fuze appreciation thread
Dec 28, 2008 at 8:50 AM Post #302 of 767
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got my Fuze yesterday then found this thread today. Wish i had bought at Radio Shack instead of Best Buy. Prices really vary, Circuit City 119. Best Buy 99, Radio Shack 79. online lower but i didn't have time before my vacation to wait.

Just read this whole thread and i have to agree at least on the offset that i was disappointed at the muddy sound, in fact i described it as that exactly on another thread before reading it here. I have a LOD to my ipods that go to a Lisa lll amp and a Pico amp and with both of those the LOD from the ipod sounded to be both clearer and have a punchier bass. I figured it was a good back up and decided to use it exclusively today to get used to the sound. Listening to it without comparing it is sweet enough but the lod out on the ipod seems to wipe away a veil if i a/b the sound. I tried the Fuze with my older Hornet M amp with esw9 headphones tonight and it seemed to be more complementary to the sound. Hopefully it will burn in or i will become more accustom to the sound signiture(better synergy). Crossing my fingers. I did like it enough to get a 16 ghz card for it.

As far as ease of use i think it is great, there are many things i like about it if i can get over the SQ signature.

Hi dallan

There's nothing to burn in....

Which headphones sounded muddy?

What format are you listening to?

What EQ settings were you using?

USG

Dec 28, 2008 at 9:10 AM Post #303 of 767
hi everyone, i just ordered a new fuze and im pretty excited. im using it unamped. i was going to get a fiio e5 for the clip feature that it is. but someone told me that the fio e5 will just make it more bulky and i hear the sq is better unamped for the fuze, ill be using it with image x10's. what do u guys use to clip ur fuze to ur pants or w/e. and i saw those big cheap weird looking white ones that come with the silicone cases. im not interested in those. i wanna try to get something like the clip that the sansa clip has on the back. those look pretty cool. so any suggestions? also...

is #1 and #2 in this list on amazon ok to use with the fuze?

Amazon.com: 8gb microsd: Electronics

what is this class 2, 4 etc thing? i dont get it? the prices vary based on the "class". do these matter for the fuze? thanks!

***EDIT***
btw, is amping the fuze with a fiio e5 a good idea or no? i will be using x10's with the fuze when it comes. i posted up another thread, not sure if u guys read it or not. but someone said they had the exact same rig im talking about (fuze, fiio e5, x10's) and they say its not reccommended. my threads titled "sans fuze and fiio e5 good combo or no? need help!"

Dec 28, 2008 at 12:05 PM Post #304 of 767
I never quite understood why this player's so hyped. It neither has good punchy/deep bass nor is it particularly detailed, I can barely make background details out on it that I would otherwise hear clearly on a D2/H320. It also has no sound customisation other than an EQ which you really can't use without mucking up the sound. Pretty decent for the bargain price you can get it at but otherwise nothing special.

Dec 28, 2008 at 12:31 PM Post #305 of 767
Quote:

Originally Posted by my.self /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what is this class 2, 4 etc thing? i dont get it? the prices vary based on the "class". do these matter for the fuze? thanks!

From Sansa web site:
"One additional description on the SDHC card is the speed class. The SDHC cards guarantee a minimum sustained data transfer rate. There are three available speed classes – Class 2, Class 4, and Class 6."

I don't know the speeds for each class, or why they start at "2"
Might make a difference for video, and loading speed.

I've noticed on cameras the speed makes a big difference in how quickly you can take another picture.

Dec 28, 2008 at 12:31 PM Post #306 of 767
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedSky0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never quite understood why this player's so hyped. It neither has good punchy/deep bass nor is it particularly detailed, I can barely make background details out on it that I would otherwise hear clearly on a D2/H320. It also has no sound customization other than an EQ which you really can't use without mucking up the sound. Pretty decent for the bargain price you can get it at but otherwise nothing special.

Maybe it is just because of what you are saying about this unit that I considered to be very positive attributes for the Fuse. A lack of color is what I am interested having in a player. The Fuse has no over emphasized bass but yet it has good bass extension. This unit has no exaggerated treble but yet has good extension on this end as well. The Fuse allows music to flow as it is recorded or as good as can be had for a unit at this price range.

For myself, I enjoy listening to the music as recorded and not emphasized in any way and this would suggest that any "customization" is not necessary for me to enjoy the Sansa Fuse. So I am happy for the attributes as you have noted them and for the price it is very hard to better. So I am hyping what it does not have. It does not color my music very much at all and to me this is good.

Dec 28, 2008 at 12:34 PM Post #307 of 767
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kicksonrt66 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From Sansa web site:
"One additional description on the SDHC card is the speed class. The SDHC cards guarantee a minimum sustained data transfer rate. There are three available speed classes – Class 2, Class 4, and Class 6."

I don't know the speeds for each class, or why they start at "2"
Might make a difference for video, and loading speed.

I've noticed on cameras the speed makes a big difference in how quickly you can take another picture.

To load music when at my computer I see no issues with a speed of "2" for my 16 gig microSDHD card. I completely re-wrote all my tags last night on the files on my card. It took some time but this was during a period when I was not using it. It does take much less time to re-write the tags on files on my computer's hard drive though.

Dec 28, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #308 of 767
Quote:

hi everyone, i just ordered a new fuze and im pretty excited. im using it unamped. i was going to get a fiio e5 for the clip feature that it is. but someone told me that the fio e5 will just make it more bulky and i hear the sq is better unamped for the fuze, ill be using it with image x10's. what do u guys use to clip ur fuze to ur pants or w/e. and i saw those big cheap weird looking white ones that come with the silicone cases. im not interested in those. i wanna try to get something like the clip that the sansa clip has on the back. those look pretty cool. so any suggestions? also...

***EDIT***
btw, is amping the fuze with a fiio e5 a good idea or no? i will be using x10's with the fuze when it comes. i posted up another thread, not sure if u guys read it or not. but someone said they had the exact same rig im talking about (fuze, fiio e5, x10's) and they say its not reccommended. my threads titled "sans fuze and fiio e5 good combo or no? need help!"

Higher class card means faster read/write speed, and as far as the amp it's good with higher imp headphones, but not needed for low imp cans. Take a look at newegg for the memory for the cards also, sometimes they have some really good deals, I got my class 4 8gig (sandisk) for 14.99 and free shipping, but that was before x-mas.

Dec 28, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #309 of 767
Quote:

***EDIT***

I don't know who said that it is not recommended to amp a fuze, but he is wrong! The fuze does benefit from amping. I use a FiiO E3 with fuze and Etymotic ER4S and it helps greatly with bringing out details and expanding the soundstage. However, if you want to reduce your load, you don't need an amp as the fuze sounds great by itself. As far as a clip is concerned, I have not seen a case for the fuze that has a clip. You may have to custom make one. Otherwise, get yourself an 8GB Sansa Clip player at sansa® Store: Clip Series MP3 Players if you don't care about expandability.

Dec 28, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #310 of 767
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedSky0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never quite understood why this player's so hyped. It neither has good punchy/deep bass nor is it particularly detailed, I can barely make background details out on it that I would otherwise hear clearly on a D2/H320. It also has no sound customisation other than an EQ which you really can't use without mucking up the sound. Pretty decent for the bargain price you can get it at but otherwise nothing special.

paired with an FiiO E3 and ER4S, I can hear recording static, defects and background noise that I am unable to pickup with any other player including the D2 and Sony S639.

Dec 28, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #311 of 767
I' seriously thinking about getting some UE super fi 5 pro and getting one of the 8GB fuze + 8GB HCSD on amazon for a little over $100. Mainly because I am going to want to start listening to higher bitrates I think. Im thinking of trying it out with my amp as well as it shouldnt be much worse than carrying my nano with it.

So in that list of known issues, do you think the one referring to play all is about gapless? I went through not having gapless on the ipod and that was very frustrating so that is the only thing bothering me about going with the Fuze right now. Im trying to think that it isnt that important, but then I remember how annoyed I used to get. I sound like a spoiled brat on that Sweet 16 show or something.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 28, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #312 of 767
Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi dallan

There's nothing to burn in....

Which headphones sounded muddy?

What format are you listening to?

What EQ settings were you using?

USG

All is FLAC lossless files, the headphones that i originally used where Grado SR225 with apuresound portable recable the EQ was off, when i originally tried that i couldn't believe they had the gaul to even include it. Amp used was first a Lisa lll which is about the highest end portable you can find out here, with an ALO Cryo 18 gauge cable harness. I then also tried it on the Pico amp as well A/B with the ipod LOD.

Later i tried it without a/b test on the Hornet M with the AT headphones and it seemed great but again that is not testing.

Format?? what are you referring to?

This morning i put both through my xcans using recabled HD 650s and had about the same a/b experience. I don't know if the Ipod is just brighter sounding or if it is actually more pure audiophile line out or just a different signiture to get used to(i hope). Trying to pin it down, it may also be the difference between an expensive dap dac in the ipod and a cheaper player.

I have now learned it and loaded it, gotten used to it and thrown away most of the packaging but if i had known what i knew now a must admit, i would have gone for the Cowon d2 based on the SQ. Got to admit that it is a bit discouraging.
frown.gif

Guess it wil go in the drawer as a back up or just uses it like i was going to for an easy flac player, i donno.

Dec 28, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #313 of 767
Dallan -- it may just be a matter of taste and preference. At a minimum, you've got a relatively inexpensive "beater" with flac support that you can use on the go or in places/locations where you wouldn't want to take an expensive rig.

FWIW, I've always felt that that the human ear and human hearing adjusts to sound and sound signatures over time, such that after extended listening and becoming accustomed to the Fuze, the Ipod LOD sig might sound too forward and/or forced by comparison. While I do believe that IEMs/cans that produce actual sound (as opposed to digital hardware) can "burn-in" or adjust/mellow with use, IMO reviewing/commenting on SQ signatures and preferences tends to omit consideration of the adaptability of the human ear.

Dec 28, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #314 of 767
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robisan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dallan -- it may just be a matter of taste and preference. At a minimum, you've got a relatively inexpensive "beater" with flac support that you can use on the go or in places/locations where you wouldn't want to take an expensive rig.

FWIW, I've always felt that that the human ear and human hearing adjusts to sound and sound signatures over time, such that after extended listening and becoming accustomed to the Fuze, the Ipod LOD sig might sound too forward and/or forced by comparison. While I do believe that IEMs/cans that produce actual sound (as opposed to digital hardware) can "burn-in" or adjust/mellow with use, IMO reviewing/commenting on SQ signatures and preferences tends to omit consideration of the adaptability of the human ear.

I completely agree with everything you say here. I'm hoping for the best and at worst, the sound isn't horrible, kinda just sounds like a system before all the fancy cable upgrades or something. Okay for casual listening anyway. Thanks for your comment.

Dec 29, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #315 of 767
How do you amp your Fuze? First of all make sure the volume is set on "high" in the System Settings. Sometimes firmware upgrade sets it on "normal" by default.
I also found it's better to amp it when the volume on the dap is set to the max (or 80%).
I dunno the techincal reason for why it sounds better, but u can test it the otherway around:

Set the volume on the amp to max and adjust it to a listenable level from the dap. It just sounds "congested" like that..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back