Wow! Sansa Fuze- color me impressed- Fuze appreciation thread
Oct 19, 2008 at 4:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 767

abitdeef

Formerly known as ihatepopupads
Headphoneus Supremus
I tried one of these a while back and thought it was meh. I just bought a black one again from circuit city out of curiosity, and because it was so damn cheap- 80 bucks. All I have to say is the first one I had was defective, I think it might have had a headphone jack problem? Anyways that one had no highs and sounded small and compressed. But, this on sounds well amazing, great deep-smooth low end and crisp highs and awesome midrange. I tested it against my touch 2g, my new sony s730, my cowon, and my nano 1st gen. I have to say that at a flat EQ setting it bested them all, more detail, soundstage and just depth and warmth.

No hint of a "digital" sound, really amazing. I thought the eq kind of weakened the sound, but I don't really use eq anyways- especially when a player sounds this good flat. I ordered a 16 gig micro sd for 80 bucks and have a 20 gig killer sounding dap for 180 dollars. The screen resolution sucks and the gui could use some work, but it is serviceable. I will use my touch for surfing and movies and my nano and sony for general use, but this baby will be my new "serious" listening dap
smily_headphones1.gif
By the way the radio has better reception than my new sony and the build quality is not as bad as I expected for s cheap player. Now sandisk make a "deluxe" model with a killer screen and a better gui, and the same sound chip and I will be first in line.

Edit: The link for the 16 gig sdhc micro card didn't work, says not available. Anyone know anybody that has them? All I see are 8 gig for around 20 to 40 dollars.

Oct 19, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #2 of 767
My thoughts exactly

Oct 20, 2008 at 7:05 AM Post #3 of 767
I too picked on of these up a week ago and I've been very happy with the SQ and ease of use. I love being able to drag 'n' drop FLAC files (all my music is in flac, and its a pita to keep converting it prior to moving it onto my DAP).
I have also found that I have to push the headphone jack in quite hard, a couple of times the sound has been flat, and its been due to the jack not being all the way home.

Great little player, I just got an 8GB card which will do me fine untill 16GB comes down to 2 bucks a GB.

Oct 20, 2008 at 7:44 AM Post #4 of 767
ok... first post in like 6 years.

premise:

car got broken into tonight and my 30gb zen vision is now gone, so I'm in the market for something rhapsody capable, preferably with battery life and user interface that don't suck as bad as the god awful zen.

not having 3 second pauses when skipping tracks would also be nice.

two questions:

from a 1 hour browse of my old stomping grounds (is it just me or or there like 4 million flash ads on this site now?) this thread is looking like a winner.

1. If I get a 4gb fuze and a 8gb expando, can anyone confirm that I'll be able to drag and drop onto the device and it will just look like a 12gb device? (specifically from rhapsody software if anyone knows) I only had like 5gb in my 30gb zen so this should be plenty.

2. The one thing I liked about the zen was the "random album" feature. 1 button push starts a random album, plays the whole album. This is great for switching music while driving. Anything comparable on this device? Is this a good choice for finding something to listen to while driving?

Other suggestions welcome
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 20, 2008 at 7:54 AM Post #5 of 767
To answer your 2nd point. Nope, it got me at first, but your 8GB expension is a sepertate drive and shows up as such. However, you just drag 'n' drop files in there and the player builds a database so you can see them all, i.e. they all come under the same database when loaded. I'm glad I got the 4GB, as now I leave my 'keepers' on the internal memory and then add/remove from the second 8GB card.

As for random album play, the fuze only supports shuffle.

Oct 20, 2008 at 8:08 AM Post #6 of 767
blahh, sounds questionable if i'd even be able to put rhapsody music in the expansion memory then. hmmmmm.

I guess shuffle could work, but it spells trouble for battery life if I forget to switch the player off when I leave the car, and there's something very charming about the random album feature. I've grown fond of it.

I wonder what other head-fi'ers use for their cars. It does seem a bit off topic, but I certainly want good SQ for car player that I will then be blasting at ungodly volumes through my car stereo, and something worthy of my ER4's that I can take with me when traveling.

...I'll just have to remember to keep it out of sight from now on :
rolleyes.gif
:

Oct 20, 2008 at 8:17 AM Post #7 of 767
If my friends ask for a MP3 player recommendation, I'll definitely recommend the Fuze. It's probably the best value, no frills MP3 player out there. Can't wait for the Fuze's successor, with gapless playback and better EQ it would be the perfect player.

Oct 20, 2008 at 10:28 AM Post #8 of 767
taffguy buy a new ipod. you will be very impressed. If ur not, return it and buy a fuze

fzue is clean and flat, great usability, plays flac and ogg, expandable, lackintg in extra features that the ipod has, with load sounds great.

Oct 20, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #9 of 767
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Junesequa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
taffguy buy a new ipod. you will be very impressed. If ur not, return it and buy a fuze

fzue is clean and flat, great usability, plays flac and ogg, expandable, lackintg in extra features that the ipod has, with load sounds great.

What feature does the ipod have that's better than the microSD card expansion?

Oct 20, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #10 of 767
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Techno-Fashion?

Oct 20, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #11 of 767
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i think it's the huge numbers of fanboy
smile.gif

Oct 20, 2008 at 4:02 PM Post #12 of 767
I'm loving my Fuze.. I actually returned my 4GB Clip and got an 8GB Fuze and the sound is just as good, but with more capacity, external card slot, and control via the scroll wheel...

Not to mention support for OGG and FLAC playback...

-Robert

Oct 20, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #14 of 767
no need for a card reader, internal sd shows up when fuze connected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back