Wow I just had a headphone scare...
May 23, 2005 at 1:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

mmmmcheese

500+ Head-Fier
I was sitting here at my computer looking at headfi with my SR325is sitting on the table. All of a sudden my cat scares the crap out of me and i kick the cable to the SR325is and I barely caught them as they fell... Scary moment there. I almost lost my babies.

May 23, 2005 at 2:01 AM Post #2 of 14
Those things can handle more than a drop to the floor, trust me. While they may look pretty fragile, the general consensus is that Grados stay in one piece even when dropped and banged around.

May 23, 2005 at 10:29 AM Post #3 of 14
Agreed! They are quite durable, although I need to send my SR60's out to get their connector sleeve fixed due to overbending. It's now semi intermittent, and I haven't got the skill to fix it. Personally though, I'd rather have a HeadFi member replace the plug with a right angled one that's decent.

biggrin.gif
Abe

May 23, 2005 at 8:30 PM Post #5 of 14
man that is not even close to a scare !

I have had mine ripped right off my head while off trail mountain biking when the cans caught a limb and they still worked though they looked a bit rough and the headband needed to be rebent to fit my head.I worried the cord would have been damaged but Grado must be doing something right bewcuse the stress did nothing.

another time my Alessandros survived me body slamming and then wrestling around (scrapping with a soundtrack !) with an ex-buddy of mine.
Again the headband got twisted but the cans worked just fine.

May 23, 2005 at 10:20 PM Post #7 of 14
I felt a tug on my SR200s and looked down to see that the long cable loop had hung over the desk edge, and the baby boy reached up with two chubby fists and was about to chew through that puppy with his sharp little baby teeth. i sacrificed a thumb to prevent him from completing the biting motion- whew, my cable came out without a scratch!

May 23, 2005 at 10:56 PM Post #8 of 14
Cables are the weakest link. I lost three phones on cable break.

Sitting at the plane, the passenger on my right squeezed by me and caught the cable connected at the arm. It just came right off. I was on my way to Asia and I picked up an eggo when I was there.

My puppy loved the eggo and chewed right through it.

Third phone got tangled in the vacuum cleaner. A little too much suction pulled the cord right off the phones.

Good news is they're fixable.

May 24, 2005 at 5:46 AM Post #10 of 14
Yes grados are definately great in the durability department. Funny how my grados look like they are the worst in the build quality department of all my headphones yet are some of the most durable headphones I've ever owned.

May 24, 2005 at 6:23 AM Post #11 of 14
Someone at work needed my attention (while I was on lunch!!!) and yanked the right cord of my Sensa 2XS and with a painful grimmace and What! out came the Sensas!

Everything was OK but my podmates were What as well! She apologized later after I told her it hurt and would have hurt her wallet if she had broken my 2XS.

May 24, 2005 at 6:27 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by reynman
Someone at work needed my attention (while I was on lunch!!!) and yanked the right cord of my Sensa 2XS and with a painful grimmace and What! out came the Sensas!

Everything was OK but my podmates were What as well! She apologized later after I told her it hurt and would have hurt her wallet if she had broken my 2XS.

You are better man than I. I would have probably done something like slash her tires or something.
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 24, 2005 at 7:02 AM Post #13 of 14
Thats it ???

I thought your cat was going to knock over a glass of rootbeer in/on them or something like that.

BTW that ALMOST happened to my DT770 when my kid decided to get creative with his cup of milk
blink.gif
blink.gif
I got lucky, and now Im MUCH more carefull where I leave my cans.

May 24, 2005 at 8:48 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by PsychoZX
Yes grados are definately great in the durability department. Funny how my grados look like they are the worst in the build quality department of all my headphones yet are some of the most durable headphones I've ever owned.

That's 'cause they're "pink slip" 'phones! Go up to a common brand fanboy with his $70 dungphones on and let him listen to a pair of SR60's... You'll beat the ego out of him with your sound, even though they don't look the part!

biggrin.gif
Abe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back