WOW ... foobar with the kernel streaming plug in just blew my mind
Oct 6, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #46 of 56
god bless her

Oct 6, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #47 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Uthadude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember switching from asio4all with mediamonkey to wasapi with xmplay and was blown away, but it was the particular combos and not asio vs wasapi.

ASIO4ALL is an ASIO>KS wrapper.

proper KS should be bit-matched, bit-perfect and run in exclusive mode, that's what m$ says and that's how it works on my current board
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 6, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #48 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by bergman2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
god bless her

Thanks.
confused_face.gif

I like the "WOW" factor you're talking about. I can sometimes get it with no change of software or equipment. I can be listening to a song and think, "where's the bass?" and then another song comes on and I think "hey these little Grado SR60s have awesome bass"

I think it all really does go back to what do your ears like? If it sounds better, it is better.

Oct 6, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #49 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's more ~85% mark tbh. Asus Vista drivers (including sound drivers) for example don't work on Win7.

Even in compatibility mode? From my experience, ASUS's drivers use a simple operating system version check but they work fine. The Prelude just needed a slightly tweaked driver to tell it to bask in the greatness of Windows 7 and it worked perfectly (they now have official W7 support too, but the latest version has some issues...).

Oct 6, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #50 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Uthadude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it all really does go back to what do your ears like? If it sounds better, it is better.

EXACTLY !!! And that's the quibble I have with some conversations on these boards once they devolve into the --- are you sure you're hearing it? is it measurable? it's just the placebo effect? --- familiar routine

Unfortunately even with the greatest objective, man made measuring equipment and testing methodologies, GOD happened to imbue each and every one of us with a unique set of monitors (ears, cochlea, anvils, hairs) and auditory processors in our brains (http://www.news-releases.uiowa.edu/2...903poremba.GIF) making such discussions, at times, comical, and others, counterproductive, and, worse yet, moot

the ability to perceive and differentiate component changes is always an issue, but it is, or should be, a given in this arena ... perhaps a sticky should appear on each forum with something to the effect ... "Subjectivities are a given in sq analysis, particularly with respect to ic, pc, software, and other component changes, so please keep any such conversations to a minimum." As a disclaimer, I too am guilty of from time to time going down the primrose path of pissy argumentation but please (and this is not directed at you justin)

Oct 6, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #51 of 56
JB-
I've played classical guitar off and on for 30 some odd years. I remember one particular lesson with the maestro years ago where I had perfected a certain Bach fugue, of which I was extremely proud of myself. After playing it for him, he said, "you played the notes perfectly...., now let's learn the music." I was crushed. You see, there are some things you can't measure (no pun intended).

P.S. Were you finished with this sentence?
Quote:

As a disclaimer, I too am guilty of from time to time going down the primrose path of pissy argumentation but please (and this is not directed at you justin)

Oct 6, 2009 at 12:06 PM Post #52 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the KS plugin seems to suck out the warm midrange and makes things sound clearer. this could be good/bad thing depending on what you prefer. i'm using one of the warmest tubes i have with the RS1i and the midrange isn't as sweet and warm as it used to be...

I would say kind of a harsh sound which is close to the default windows direct sound,
btw, have you found it louder then the ASIO sound?

Oct 6, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #53 of 56
the highs seem to extend further but they don't sound harsh to me. i did not find it to be any louder than ASIO. since yesterday, i had a hard time deciding whether or not i like the sound from KS, it does sound somewhat better but its too solid state like for my taste. every tube i've rolled sounded the same. since then, i've switched back to ASIO. i could see why it will sound good on the HD650, since it takes away a bit of that midrange warmness and perhaps lessens the veil.

Oct 14, 2019 at 1:09 PM Post #54 of 56
I compared WASAPI and KS and found that KS produced a more prominent high end and also slightly more bass impact. WASAPI was smoother and put the mids more up front. These were subtle but reproducible results and from what I described above, the treble was the most obvious difference between the two.
I totally agree! But results aren't subtle. They are huge! Bigger Sound stage, better instruments separation, and highs are just like fixed it, it sounds releasefull
Quote:

wavs/flacs > foobar 9.6.9 (with KS plug in) > usb > TA USB 10.1 > 110ohm AES/EBU balanced out > bjc 110ohm cable > lavry da10 110ohm balanced in > zu rca's > earmax pro (baldwin 12ax7 & amperex 6922 white labels) > 650's

i just installed the foobar kernel streaming plug-in on a lark in place of the trusty asio and was pleasantly surprised by the enhanced sq .. there were a couple pop up boxes from windows and foobar about known compatability issues, and my computer sometimes needs a restart when I try to play through my speakers on the on board chip but my 650's are singing now

Do I understand that you were using the Foobar ASIO plugin and ASIO4All? (which actually send output to the WDM kernel streaming interface.)

And now you are using the kernel streaming plugin to send output directly to WDM kernel streaming?

If I have this right, you are using kernel streaming both ways.

Bill
Hey Bill,

KS is the output of the audio media player and sends data directly to the DAC driver.

Oct 18, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #55 of 56
I totally agree! But results aren't subtle. They are huge!

Are you just going around bumping every thread ever made on this forum that mentions Kernel Streaming? The last post in this thread was over a decade old, before you bumped it. About 6 years before Windows 10 was even released, and only a few months after Windows 7 was released, meaning a lot of people in this thread were probably still running Windows XP. A lot has changed in 10 years. Kernel Streaming was a nice option on Windows XP...

Oct 18, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #56 of 56
Are you just going around bumping every thread ever made on this forum that mentions Kernel Streaming? The last post in this thread was over a decade old, before you bumped it. About 6 years before Windows 10 was even released, and only a few months after Windows 7 was released, meaning a lot of people in this thread were probably still running Windows XP. A lot has changed in 10 years. Kernel Streaming was a nice option on Windows XP...
I'm aware of that.
I used wasapi exclusively, decied to try kernel and results were totally different in my case, with my dac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back