WOW ... foobar with the kernel streaming plug in just blew my mind
Oct 3, 2009 at 4:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

bergman2

500+ Head-Fier
wavs/flacs > foobar 9.6.9 (with KS plug in) > usb > TA USB 10.1 > 110ohm AES/EBU balanced out > bjc 110ohm cable > lavry da10 110ohm balanced in > zu rca's > earmax pro (baldwin 12ax7 & amperex 6922 white labels) > 650's

i just installed the foobar kernel streaming plug-in on a lark in place of the trusty asio and was pleasantly surprised by the enhanced sq .. there were a couple pop up boxes from windows and foobar about known compatability issues, and my computer sometimes needs a restart when I try to play through my speakers on the on board chip but my 650's are singing now

Oct 3, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #3 of 56
Have you tried WASAPI (assuning you have Vista/7 running)?
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 3, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #4 of 56
WASSUP with WASAPI?

Oct 3, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #6 of 56
I am, admittedly, prone to hyperbole but separation, extension and weight seem much improved

in re MM comments, perhaps i will give wasapi a try later this weekend

Oct 3, 2009 at 8:40 AM Post #7 of 56
Yeah, KS certainly make am audible difference. Enjoy!
smile.gif

Oct 3, 2009 at 12:46 PM Post #8 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, KS certainly make am audible difference. Enjoy!
smile.gif

Why, it should do the same as ASIO

Oct 3, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #9 of 56
it depends on the windows driver implementation. ASIO is third party and has its own latency timer.

DirectKS is part of the WDM architecture. everything's based on KS in windows, and DirectKS is the m$ KMixer-free answer to ASIO.

DirectKS Sample Application
Quote:

the DirectKS approach results in exclusive access to the audio device, which can break many aspects of the user experience, including disabling warning alert sounds and loss of interoperability with other audio applications.

on my board DirectKS in foobar works in bit-matched/bit-perfect/exclusive mode on XP SP3 and forbids SRC, good stuff
smily_headphones1.gif

but DirectKS is m00t on the Asus soundcards(not bit-matched, no exclusive mode)...so again, it all falls back to how the windows drivers were written in the first place.

Oct 3, 2009 at 1:04 PM Post #10 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why, it should do the same as ASIO

I meant compared to foobar2000 in stock configuration, using Direct Sound.

Oct 3, 2009 at 1:23 PM Post #11 of 56
Yes, if you read the original OP post, he was on ASIO and converted to KS,
for that I find strange that big difference,
or maybe we should need some Lavry **** to get illuminated,

Oct 3, 2009 at 1:48 PM Post #12 of 56
Quote:

Well, you see, it would take several degrees in mathematics and engineering to understand exactly why KS presents such an advantage.

Oct 3, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #13 of 56
Quote:

Yes, if you read the original OP post, he was on ASIO and converted to KS,
for that I find strange that big difference,

perhaps so, and perhaps the settings i had selected didnt fully maximize its capabilities ... at any rate, i am quite happy with the current bit perfect output settings with ks

Oct 3, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #14 of 56
I compared WASAPI and KS and found that KS produced a more prominent high end and also slightly more bass impact. WASAPI was smoother and put the mids more up front. These were subtle but reproducible results and from what I described above, the treble was the most obvious difference between the two.

Oct 3, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #15 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by bergman2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wavs/flacs > foobar 9.6.9 (with KS plug in) > usb > TA USB 10.1 > 110ohm AES/EBU balanced out > bjc 110ohm cable > lavry da10 110ohm balanced in > zu rca's > earmax pro (baldwin 12ax7 & amperex 6922 white labels) > 650's

i just installed the foobar kernel streaming plug-in on a lark in place of the trusty asio and was pleasantly surprised by the enhanced sq .. there were a couple pop up boxes from windows and foobar about known compatability issues, and my computer sometimes needs a restart when I try to play through my speakers on the on board chip but my 650's are singing now

Do I understand that you were using the Foobar ASIO plugin and ASIO4All? (which actually send output to the WDM kernel streaming interface.)

And now you are using the kernel streaming plugin to send output directly to WDM kernel streaming?

If I have this right, you are using kernel streaming both ways.

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back