Wow-factor foldable cans as a birthday present for a casual listener?
Jan 25, 2010 at 9:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Napilopez

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, so I'm looking to buy some fashionable, very portable headphones for a friend's birthday. Her bday isn't anytime soon, but I know what I want to get her headphones, especially after having her hear and come off very impressed with my PX200-IIs. I know, you may be asking yourself, why don't I just get her the PX200-IIs? Well, two main reasons: I don't want to just get her the same exact thing I have, and she was hearing the PX200-IIs through Graphicism's 5.1 virtual surround dolby setup. Meaning, she was impressed by the clarity, but also very much with the soundstage.

I might simply get her the white variants, but I'm wondering if there is anything mostly closed out there with an expansive soundstage that sounds good straight out of a a creative Zen or Laptop, while being stylish and foldable? Now the PX200IIs have good soundstaging, but I'm wondering if theres something closed that sounds even more open. I think she might like the look of the Ultrason Zinos or NuForce UF30s(those pads on the zinos look really cool). Good packaging and build quality would be nice as well, as this would be a birthday present.

In fact, I'm quite sure I would get one of those, most likely the Zinos, were it not for the apparent non-existent isolation I've been hearing about. I mean, shes used to cheap buds which don't provide any isolation either, but I think it would be nice for her to get some isolation, seeing as she has to ride the subway to home, and sometimes is at a noisy home and she has suggested she'd like something to drown out the noise. That S-Logic tech thing though does seem enticing because she can listen to higher volumes without hurting her ears or fatigue, which I suppose makes up for the lack of isolation somewhat

I would rather not go the IEM route, as I would have to be almost 100% sure they wouldn't be uncomfortable for her, and I want the product to feel like it will last. If I did go the IEM route it would likely be the Klipsch S4.

100 bucks is my absolute max.

Lol, so I guess the PX200-IIs are probably the best option still, but it would be interesting to hear other suggestions =P

Has anyone heard the Zinos or UF30s in a noisy environment? Are they listenable at all for a casual listener?

Jan 25, 2010 at 10:04 AM Post #2 of 6
get her onto's
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 26, 2010 at 3:54 AM Post #5 of 6
Panasonic RP HTX7-W1
31-Ifd2wjcL._SS500_.jpg

looks are probably going to be a lot more important so get her something like that. a lot of girls wear them around our campus and I think it looks pretty nice. Sound quality probably isn't amazing, but they are very portable and have decent isolation. Honestly though, if she thought that headphones running the dolby headphone mod sounded "clear" then I assure you, sound won't matter.

also, I know you asked for folding headphones, but from my experience, people who think of headphones as fashion (especially girls) would rather hang them around their neck as opposed to folding them up and packing them away

btw those only cost $20-30, so use the rest of the money to buy her...
1) dinner
2) or an mp3 player if she could use one (sansa fuze is my recommendation)
3) or some CDs
4) or all of the above

Users who are viewing this thread

Back