Wow! Can't believe a Mini can drive my SR 225's.
Jun 21, 2005 at 6:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Spiritboxer

1000+ Head-Fier
Figured no way but I decided to try it anyway. What a surprise! Exposes the low bit rate I'm using and I may have to go to lossless but still. How is it possible something so small can drive a big pair of cans like the 225's. Low impedance? Superior effiency?
Any info would be greatly appreciated as I'd like to be more informed and I'm close to clueless.

Jun 21, 2005 at 7:03 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiritboxer
Figured no way but I decided to try it anyway. What a surprise! Exposes the low bit rate I'm using and I may have to go to lossless but still. How is it possible something so small can drive a big pair of cans like the 225's. Low impedance? Superior effiency?
Any info would be greatly appreciated as I'd like to be more informed and I'm close to clueless.

likely the low impedance is the key. At 32 Ohms, you don't get a much easier drive. Bottom line is that there is little resistance to the flow of current into the headphones, so the bottom line is that the only big you get is can size and sound!

Enjoy!

Oriel

Jun 24, 2005 at 8:07 AM Post #3 of 10
The RS-1 sounds pretty good from an iPod photo 30GB headphone port. It is large for portable use, though.

The SR225 with a modified shorter cable and mini plug sounds ideal for pairing with an unamped iPod.

Jun 24, 2005 at 9:05 AM Post #4 of 10
I'm gonna try to power my 650s with the ipod mini.... ill let you know how that goes.

Jun 24, 2005 at 9:50 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey_V
I'm gonna try to power my 650s with the ipod mini.... ill let you know how that goes.

Good luck.

The Senn HD650, HD600, and HD595 didn't sound good direct from my iPod.

Jun 24, 2005 at 9:55 AM Post #6 of 10
Low impedance and high sensitivity. Grados are generally very efficient cans, and can usually be driven to a good volume level on portable stuff. I'm not sure how good the iPod Mini amp is, but you might want to compare it with some home equipment or something with more powerful amplification to see if it sounds any different. Grados seem to like lots of current, despite being quite efficient. Erm, that said, I'm down with the Grado-portable love.
rs1smile.gif

Jun 24, 2005 at 1:04 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas
The RS-1 sounds pretty good from an iPod photo 30GB headphone port. It is large for portable use, though.

The SR225 with a modified shorter cable and mini plug sounds ideal for pairing with an unamped iPod.

I'd love to see something like the 225's with a cable that is shorter and a little more flexible and less cumbersome, and have it attach to the earpieces by those sub-mini jacks (the ones that are a little smaller than 1/8"). I saw something like that on a grado mods page. that would be killer for use w/ an iPod..

Jun 24, 2005 at 6:38 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
I'd love to see something like the 225's with a cable that is shorter and a little more flexible and less cumbersome, and have it attach to the earpieces by those sub-mini jacks (the ones that are a little smaller than 1/8"). I saw something like that on a grado mods page. that would be killer for use w/ an iPod..

I have something similar
biggrin.gif

My modded Grado SR125 (from my website's project gallery)

Jun 24, 2005 at 6:45 PM Post #10 of 10
Nice! Is that difficult to do? (putting 1/8" jacks on the earpieces and making a cable that will work with them?). That might be a nice option for my SR60's. I need to find someone who can do that at a good price for me, as I have no skills to do so
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back