Wow! Canned air is fun!
Jun 8, 2002 at 6:19 AM Post #31 of 36
It’s a war every time I go up in the mountains. mosquitoes are giants up there... scary. every time I came home from the retreat I would have mosquito bites cuz the cabins already had them in there. my arms would swell up, it would get infected and heat up, and itch like mad.

The best bug repellent I have ever used is garlic. Especially for mosquitos. In the summer I carry a clove of garlic with me to the great outdoors. I just use my thumbnail to make a little cut on the clove and then rub the garlic oil on each arm and on the back of my neck. Bugs stay away. It doesn't take much, I can use the same clove for month or so. Keeping it in my vest pocket probably helps too.
It's also good for keeping pesky people at a distance.
biggrin.gif

Jun 8, 2002 at 6:40 AM Post #32 of 36
Yeah, freeze all the bugs you can. They annoy the hell out of me.

I have a pocket knife displaying the freshly-hewn body of a spider on my window sill right now as a warning to all his brethren. It's actually kind of amusing to try to stab jumping spiders. ...

kerleybonto

Jun 8, 2002 at 7:49 AM Post #33 of 36
I don't like spiders. I'm afraid they will bite me. However, I do have an ant farm. I watch the ants a lot. They go about there business, and I just sit there watching them. When I first started the ant farm, there weren't very many, but now there are thousands.

It is I alone who controls how much food they will get, or whether they will eat at all. I alone determine their fate. Sometimes, when I approach, they stop what they are doing, in awe of me. It has become apparent that they think of me as their god. I must admit I have done nothing to discourage this behavior.

Jun 8, 2002 at 7:59 AM Post #34 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by zbuddah
Insects have had their fair share of torture on me also it only about time for me to pay those suckers back!@!!@!@#

Well, then you should only torture the ones that bit you.

Greg -- how is it you don't have a custom title yet, you have the greatest stories!

Jun 8, 2002 at 9:14 PM Post #35 of 36
Thanks Dusty. I guess I haven't crossed whatever threshold Jude uses to identify his victims. Kind of surprising, since exceeding thresholds is sort of a habit of mine.

A clarification on the gas bottle story above: it was the bottle itself that took off and went ballistic. Not sure where the valve went. Sorry, I wasn't typing straight last night. Could have been those pitchers of Kiltlifter Ale that I was helping some friends drink.

A similar story was related to me by a friend who used to be on stationed on an aircraft carrier. It seems that there was to be some inspection by a high ranking officer, so a serious cleanup was ordered. On the to do list was the disposal of a bunch of fully charged compressed air bottles. We are talking the 5 ft tall bottles similar to the ones seen on cutting torches. At 3000 psi there is a LOT of energy there.

(Disclaimer: what follows is unconfirmed and highly dangerous. Do not try it unless you are in open ocean and have your own steam catapult).

In what was undoubtably one of those guy type brainstorming sessions, they decided that dumping them overboard was simply too much work. Better to lay them in the steam catapult track, with the bottom of the tank pointing toward the water, and whack the valve off with a sledge hammer. BANG, whoosh, instant missile! I guess they had a hillarious time of it. Wish I could have been there.

As for the insect thing, that is one of the main reasons that I moved to Arizona. Mosquitos seem to be very fond of me, and the infatuation is not mutual. I have only seen 3 of the little bastards in the 18 years that I have lived here. I made damned sure that I killed those just to be on the safe side. I don't want them getting the word back to their bigger brothers in the rest of the country! The tradeoff is the occasional scorpion or rattlesnake. While venemous, those beasties are not hell bent on tapping into my blood stream. I take such advances quite personally. I do kill scorpions and black widows around the house (or in the house). Rattlers I just relocate. I prefer them to packrats.

btw, have you heard our unofficial state motto?

"Arizona, it bites!"

Have a great weekend.

gerG

Jun 9, 2002 at 4:09 AM Post #36 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.PD

The best bug repellent I have ever used is garlic. Especially for mosquitos. In the summer I carry a clove of garlic with me to the great outdoors. I just use my thumbnail to make a little cut on the clove and then rub the garlic oil on each arm and on the back of my neck. Bugs stay away. It doesn't take much, I can use the same clove for month or so. Keeping it in my vest pocket probably helps too.

that really works? wow cool I should do that next time. For the two nights I was in the cabin, it was hell. I hid underneath my sleeping blanket hovering my left arm over the bite so the blanket wouldn't rub against the bite. Breathing my breath(hyperventilating?) over and over as it got hotter and hotter in the sleeping blanket. The sweat probably didn't do much in repelling the mosquitoes. I would have a little peeping hole that I used to get fresh air into the sleeping blanket. Sometimes when I get the chance to fall half-asleep I would hear a mosquito buzz by, freaking me out as I wave my hands to try and shoo it away in the dark.

A fat one got in my house cuz my dad took too long to get in the house. it snuck in and he slapped it down. I picked its infectous body up with a tissue and burn it up.

I do my best to kill all that flies in my house. Trapped one in my room for 2 days while i tried to look for it. I slept in the den. Finally found it and kill that tiny freaking thing.

first thing i do wheni get bit is to find some hydrogen peroxide to prevent the infection from getting worse and i would put some anti-itching creem on and add some neosporin to it just to be sure. it stil ends up getting infected but not as bad if i didn't take care of it immedaitely.

well as you can see i hate insects that harm me or cause any discomforts.

back to the canned air
smily_headphones1.gif
yes they are pretty helpful in blowing out dust in tight crevices especailly between the fins of the heatsink, and also as a useful tool in iradicating anti-human insects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back