WOW!! Alienware puts out pc setup that allows dual video cards!!
May 16, 2004 at 4:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

xtreme4099

Headphoneus Supremus
It seems they bought that voodoo 2 SLI technology from back in the day i was hearing from somewhere else, and our implenting some version of it on their new systems, something called X2, which essentially allows you to run dual geforce6800 ultras of ATI X800 pci express cards, wow imagine getting like 50-100 percent more fps in Doom3.

Alienware Announces Video Array™ and X2™: An Exclusive Advancement in PC Graphics Technology

High-Performance PC Manufacturer promises significant performance improvements in gaming and graphics intensive applications.

MIAMI, FL May 12, 2004 - Alienware, the leading manufacturer of high-performance desktop computers, notebooks, and professional systems unveiled today at the Electronic Entertainment Expo, Video Array and X2 -- an exclusive, patent pending technology designed to significantly enhance the performance of graphics intensive applications including extreme gaming, professional design and engineering, real-time rendering and animation, and flight training and simulation modules.

Video Array is an accelerated graphics processing subsystem that will allow users to add multiple, off-the-shelf video cards to their Alienware computer systems and have both cards process graphic commands in parallel. Understanding the wide-ranging wants and needs of its customers, Alienware designed its solution so that it is not tied to any one specific video card. This design will allow users to take full advantage of the fastest video card on the market for a significant performance increase.

Alienwares exclusive Video Array combined with X2, an Alienware designed motherboard which is currently based on Intel Corporations next-generation chipset and will include dual PCI-Express high performance graphics card slots, will deliver significant performance gains over current graphic solutions. The new Video Array Technology and X2 motherboard will enable users to run graphics intensive applications flawlessly at maximized settings, render 3D visuals in record time, and much more.

“Innovation has always been one of our guiding principles,” said Nelson Gonzalez, Chief Executive Officer of Alienware Corporation. “This new technology continues Alienwares commitment to innovation and is only one of the many exciting technologies and products from Alienware.”

“Alienware has dedicated significant resources into our research and development team, focused on technology and innovation. We are confident that this new solution will dramatically impact the enthusiast market and further establish Alienware as the definitive high-performance leader,” said Humberto Organvidez, Executive Vice President and Chief Technology Officer of Alienware Corporation. “Our goal is to set the standard for all other performance-based PC manufacturers to follow.”

The Alienware Video Array and X2 motherboard will debut in Q3/Q4, exclusively through Alienwares new ALX brand, a family of extreme performance systems catering to the demands of the most hardcore PC enthusiasts. ALX systems will be sold only in the United States, directly through www.alienware.com/alx or 1-800-ALIENWARE.

ABOUT ALIENWARE CORPORATION - Alienware Corporation manufactures high-performance computer desktop and mobile systems and leading-edge professional systems. Alienware offers unique and award-winning products that incorporate state-of-the-art components, innovative engineering and design, and unprecedented customer service. Alienware systems are available direct within the United States and Europe. For more information, please visit www.alienware.com or call 1-800-ALIENWARE (254-3692

Alienware, the alien head logo, ALX, Video Array and X2 are the registered trademarks or trademarks of Alienware Corporation. The Video Array and X2 products are subject to various pending patents.

May 16, 2004 at 5:06 PM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by austonia
that's insane. games aren't even close to maxing out hardware as it is. at least until doom 3 gets here, if ever.

yeah, but they get there FAST... I built a gaming computer for a friend of mine 8 months ago with all top of the line or next step down specs and it is already having difficulty with a lot of the very new games
frown.gif

May 16, 2004 at 5:09 PM Post #4 of 24
try farcry ... it chokes any videocard i know, my friend even has hard time with everything turned on with his 9800pro by the way a beautiful engine having turned on all settings is the only way to go, plus doom3 which will be out in a like a month.

May 16, 2004 at 5:43 PM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by austonia
that's insane. games aren't even close to maxing out hardware as it is. at least until doom 3 gets here, if ever.

Obviously you are not a serious gamer.

May 16, 2004 at 6:44 PM Post #7 of 24
Yeah, I heard about this. I'm also rather bummed that nVidia is having to play catchup again. They used to be the champions, and then ATI surpassed them. Rather like Intel and AMD. And I'm an nVidia fanboy
frown.gif
Granted, I've got a 9800 Pro (128MB) in my system, but that's only because I couldn't get a hold of a 5900 Ultra in time...

That being said, 147fps @ 1600x1200 w/ 32 bit, 4x AA, and 8x AF in UT2K4 is dang good
biggrin.gif
(oh yes, this was just a single X800 card. OC'd, granted, as was the CPU, but hey, 'cheating is a traditional part of the tournament...')

Me, I'm happy with my 50fps @ 1024x768 w/ 32bit, 2x AA, and 8x AF from the 9800 Pro. (XP 2000+, 512MB DDR) Coming from a Rage 128 that gave me around 10fps at best at 640x480 with everything turned off, this is sheer heaven.

(-:Stephonovich:)

May 16, 2004 at 7:04 PM Post #8 of 24
Sounds interesting.
Lets see how it works with different video cards and different drivers.
(I doubt it!
tongue.gif
)

(next time a simple link to the article is enough.
you run the risk of getting Jude in trouble with copyright
stuff when you cut and past the whole thing like that.)

May 16, 2004 at 8:22 PM Post #10 of 24
It also looks freaky as hell. (pun intended
biggrin.gif
)

Ever since I saw that video, with those human/spider mutant... You know, I thought Half-Life was freaky enough at night, lights off, headphones on. I'm going to piss myself when I play this.

May 16, 2004 at 8:35 PM Post #12 of 24
yeah... its sad, I used to be a 3dfx 'fanboy'... but then they died... oh well, I still have my voodoo 5500 and it does well with everything that I play [mainly into RPG computer games]

May 16, 2004 at 8:38 PM Post #13 of 24
IMHO, the whole thing seems like overkill. I don't know who can justify spending $1000+ or some other extravagant figure just for a few extra video cards. I'm sure the R420 and NV40 core cards will be able to handle Doom 3 just fine. If you really want to spend a whack of money on video cards it's your call, but I'm perfectly content with adjusting some of the visual quality levels lower, thanks.

May 16, 2004 at 8:44 PM Post #14 of 24
Yeah, I also hope nVidia dies so that ATI has no real competitor and can charge even more exorbitant prices for their videocards.
rolleyes.gif
We need at least both companies and I wouldn't mind if Matrox woke up from their slumber. The same with AMD and Intel - we need both for prices to remain somewhat sane.

EDIT: I'm an anti-fanboy. I use whichever product works best for me. I used nVidia cards when they performed the best and had solid drivers (when ATI drivers were horrible and their cards sub-par). However, the Radeon 9700 and nVidia's dustbuster 5800 changed everything - now ATI is clearly the leader in nearly every regard. So now I use ATI. I vote with my wallet.

May 16, 2004 at 9:16 PM Post #15 of 24
I'm a dying fanboy, to clarify. I want nVidia to be the best, because I think their products are/were awesome. Dustbuster not included. However, I also used to think Intel was the last word, and now I'm AMD all the way. Intel is WAAY overpriced for the performance they offer compared to AMD.

Also, nVidia does have one advantage (or disadvantage, depending how you view it) over ATI, in it's anti-aliasing. nVidia is much clearer and more detailed, however, at a performance loss. I myself like eye candy, and am willing to sacrifice some performance for it. (for instance, playing UT2K4 at 50 fps because it looks awesome with everything cranked up) I know other nutters, er, people who will set everything down to 640x480 just so they can have 300 fps. I personally see no point in this, but that's just me. Anything over 60 is overkill anyway, idn't it, due to how much our eyes can take in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back