Would you sell your gifts or birthday presents to buy other things?
Mar 4, 2006 at 3:27 AM Post #2 of 27
its the thought that matters, right?

why keep a gift that you're never going to use? they bought it for the sake of improving your life one way or another, not to be left unopened, gathering dust in the closet.

Mar 4, 2006 at 3:53 AM Post #3 of 27
I traded my best man gift (SR-71) plus other things away to get a HP2. Someday he'll forgive me. But baby, I forgive myself everytime I put those cans on!
icon10.gif

Mar 4, 2006 at 3:56 AM Post #4 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
I traded my best man gift (SR-71) plus other things away to get a HP2. Someday he'll forgive me. But baby, I forgive myself everytime I put those cans on!
icon10.gif

ditto the 501...

Mar 4, 2006 at 4:03 AM Post #5 of 27
though I rarely get gifts or birthday presents, when I do, I keep it. It's sort of disrespectful to the person, especially if they're close.

Mar 4, 2006 at 4:24 AM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by cire
its the thought that matters, right?

why keep a gift that you're never going to use? they bought it for the sake of improving your life one way or another, not to be left unopened, gathering dust in the closet.

I completely agree.

Mar 4, 2006 at 6:42 AM Post #9 of 27
When I get CC, BB or Frys guift certs, I use them to buy something, and then I return it a day or 2 after and have them credit my CC. I turn around and use that $$$ on ebay or here.

So... I guess that makes me a Yes.

I will never trade/sell my RS1, gift from my wife or my HF1, John made it specially for me.

Garrett

Mar 4, 2006 at 7:01 AM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabwong
That's why the best birthday present is money
biggrin.gif

QFT

Mar 4, 2006 at 7:11 AM Post #12 of 27
I would never sell a gift given to me. They come from the heart and are symbolic for the relationship I share with that person. My aunt and uncle by marriage - they give me an eggstractor - it sits there and it reminds me of how thoughtless they are. My girlfriend gives me a Todd Rudngren/Jethro Tull concert poster - my parents buy tickets for me to come with the family on a trip to Florida after a lot of stressful months for all of us - these gifts are thoughtful and remind me of how much I care for the individual. Gifts, as just said, come from the heart, and are not things that, in my mind, should be along the lines of hi-fi gear or other such things. I can buy the things I want in regards to my pastimes - gifts are not just physical objects, but also representative of caring, love, and devotion.

Whether a gift is good or bad, thoughtful or thoughtless, it doesn't deserve to be sold or traded. You can fund your purchases with your own hard-earned money. I find it morally wrong to sell gifts given to you by family. If they are thoughtful, they would only give you a gift if they thought you'd like it. One must be respectful of this act of kindness.

I've experienced that many of my friends agree with me on this issue - especially ones from Asian (particularly Japanese) decent. The Japanese, as I've learned, particularly value gifts in their culture and find them to be of extreme importance (I've only had official business with one Japanese man - but needless to say, we traded gifts!). They are seen as being of true value and kindness - instead of how they're seen often in America as merely being expensive items of mostly unthoughtful consideration.

Mar 4, 2006 at 9:33 AM Post #13 of 27
That was a great post Aman, and I would tend to agree. I'm sort of conflicted on this question though...

Mar 4, 2006 at 12:27 PM Post #15 of 27
IMO it depends on who gave it and what it is.
Some gifts are especially heart-felt, chosen with great care . . . others are, well, just gifts.
Obviously the former are to be kept and cherished, they are special.
The latter are a different case and can be exchanged without guilt.
Heck some people will even 're-gift' those to someone else
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back