Would you recommend Half-Life and/or Half-Life 2?
May 7, 2013 at 12:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

Double-A

Formerly known as KingOfTheWild.
Hello, I just wanted to see if any of you head-fier's have ever played Half-Life and/or Half-Life 2 and would recommend either one or both of them. Do they have good sound quality? Also are they good in other areas besides sound quality?

May 7, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #2 of 53
If you use headphones, there's a headphones option in sound options that is probably* good to use. 

*Been a while since I played HL2, or rather anything. Also, play Portal and Portal 2.

May 7, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #3 of 53
I mean I wouldn't get them for their sound quality alone. Half Life 1 has sound samples that are a bit dated and pretty unrealistic. HL2's sound is pretty good from what I remember but it's nothing amazing. They are still great games though and you should play them.

IMO Half Life 2 is the best game of all time. Second is Half Life 1.
biggrin.gif

Not to mention that they both open up a world of amazing mods you can download.

May 7, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #4 of 53
I would recommend both, play Half life 1 first then Half life 2. Half Life 1 can be a little frustrating at certain points in the game but it is still worth playing. Half life 2 you MUST play, seriously, it's fantastic and it is still better than most fps games that are released today even though it was released in 2004! I bought it on release day back in 2004 and have replayed it more times than I can remember.

Sound quality wise, Half Life 1 does not sound good through headphones due to it being nearly 15 years old but Half Life 2 is pretty good but neither of them were note worthy in sound even when they were first released.

Also, if you want another great game to play then check out Bioshock if you haven't already. It's another fps game I have replayed many times, It has some of the best sound you can get in gaming and is up there with Half life 2 easily.

May 7, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #5 of 53
It sounds as if you guys think that the sound of the first Half-Life game draws you out of it. Is that correct? If it is that bad, I'll just read a summary of the story and just skip right to the sequel.

@spark3: That is another game I've never tried. There are so many video games that everybody loves that I haven't tried before . . . I only play a handful of games so I'm trying to expand my collection.

May 8, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #6 of 53
If it's just sound you're focused on rather than gameplay then yes, I would skip Half Life 1 but definitely give the Bioshock series a try. A few other games to try are Battlefield 3, Max Payne 3,  Dead Space 1 & 2, Alan Wake, Amnesia Dark Descent, Penumbra, Mass Effect series, Hitman Absolution and if you have a PS3 check Uncharted series and Siren Blood Curse. There are more but I can't think of them atm but those I listed should keep you busy for the time being
wink_face.gif

May 8, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #7 of 53
Quote:
It sounds as if you guys think that the sound of the first Half-Life game draws you out of it. Is that correct? If it is that bad, I'll just read a summary of the story and just skip right to the sequel. @spark3: That is another game I've never tried. There are so many video games that everybody loves that I haven't tried before . . . I only play a handful of games so I'm trying to expand my collection.

Well it doesn't draw you out of it, it's just nothing special and not particularly good by today's standards. But I mean plenty of people still play the game, or at least its mods.

You'll probably need to read a summary of the story either way, it's not easy to get the big picture. Both games have quite a different story telling method than most other games.

May 8, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #8 of 53
Recently I`ve been playing DEAD SPACE 2 on Android (Nexus 7), a great game and a good sound on my HD600 
smily_headphones1.gif

Half Life 2 is another very good game and as I remember the sound was rather good also.

May 8, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #9 of 53
I also forgot, there is a mod called Black Mesa which is Half Life 1 remade with the Half Life 2 engine and it's practically identical to Half Life 1 but uses the Source engine of Half Life 2. Check that out.

May 8, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #10 of 53
Quote:
I also forgot, there is a mod called Black Mesa which is Half Life 1 remade with the Half Life 2 engine and it's practically identical to Half Life 1 but uses the Source engine of Half Life 2. Check that out.

That reminds me I still need to finish that.

It is quite a bit different though, same general concept but they redid a lot of stuff completely. Even different puzzles and stuff. Really well done and a great game though.

I think it's missing the Xen stuff as well from what I've heard, so I have no idea if it just ends with a to be continued or what.

May 8, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #12 of 53
  If it's just sound you're focused on rather than gameplay then yes, I would skip Half Life 1 but definitely give the Bioshock series a try. A few other games to try are Battlefield 3, Max Payne 3,  Dead Space 1 & 2, Alan Wake, Amnesia Dark Descent, Penumbra, Mass Effect series, Hitman Absolution and if you have a PS3 check Uncharted series and Siren Blood Curse. There are more but I can't think of them atm but those I listed should keep you busy for the time being
wink_face.gif

I'm not only focused on sound; if I heard people saying that a video game I haven't played before had really good sound but that it was bad at everything else, I wouldn't want to play it. My video games have to have good sound quality (or at the very least decent sound quality) and also be good in other areas as well. Anyway, thank you for the suggestions. On a semi-unrelated note, have you (or anybody else who has posted in this thread) ever played Half-Life 2: Episodes 1 & 2? If so, did you enjoy those games as well?

May 9, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #13 of 53
Yes I have Ep 1 & 2 and they are pretty good, not as good as Half Life 2 but they are definitely worth playing if you enjoy Half Life 2. Each Ep lasts for around 5 hours on normal.

May 10, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #15 of 53
I remember when people were joking about Episode 3 having a release date as late as 2011.

I like Valve and all but damn their phobia of the number 3. When HL3/Episode 3/whatever they call it comes out it better be amazing. It will probably come packaged with Team Fortress 3, Portal 3, Left4Dead 3, and Dota 3. And then Counter Strike 2 just for the hell of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back