Would You consider the Mad Dogs Neutral?
Feb 24, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #3 of 11
Nope. They are very very very very (keep adding more "very") far from neutral to me.

Mad Dogs have a warm-ish sound signature that's spacious and fairly clean, with some slight midrange emphasis.

If I have to compare them to any headphone, they would be like the HD 650, only with an even warmer sound signature.

Feb 24, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:
Are these cans considered neutral?

What do they compare to?

I strongly disagree with Bill on this question, but we use wildly different amplification.

If you're just concerned about neutrality, here's a rank of my headphones (once again, the order here is just based upon neutrality):
1) HE-6
2) Mad Dogs with Alpha Pads
3) LCD-3
4) ESP-950
5) HD650
I use a Schiit Magni, Schiit Asgard, Decware Taboo, and Cavalli Liquid Glass for amplification.  I do imagine that when under-powered, they may indeed be quite far from neutral.  

Feb 24, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #5 of 11
I am more with Jazzer here. I find the Mad Dogs to be pretty neutral but maybe a slight bit warm due to the bass. That may just be the sound of a closed headphone talking too. Wont find a more neutral/enjoyable closed back headphones in that price range that can match them though IMO. 

cheers

Feb 24, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #6 of 11
I don't think it's just the amp. I was driving the Mad Dog through Dan's Schiit Lyr at the recent SF Bay Area meet, with the iPhone 5 as the source (using Apple Lightning to 30-pin connector adapter, which has a Wolfson DAC). The pairing was as far from neutral as I can remember.

I also had a lot of HD800 and LCD-2 around the area to compare. The Mad Dog was significantly warmer than all of them.

It was only when I heard the Mad Dog through the Meridian Explorer DAC, and later with my C&C BH that I could hear some neutrality.

Feb 24, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

I strongly disagree with Bill on this question, but we use wildly different amplification.

If you're just concerned about neutrality, here's a rank of my headphones (once again, the order here is just based upon neutrality):
1) HE-6
3) LCD-3
4) ESP-950
5) HD650
I use a Schiit Magni, Schiit Asgard, Decware Taboo, and Cavalli Liquid Glass for amplification.  I do imagine that when under-powered, they may indeed be quite far from neutral.  

This is right on the money to my ears.

Feb 24, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #8 of 11
I found them to be on the warmer side of the spectrum.  Warm, smooth and pleasant overall.  Maybe some slight lower midrange / upper bass emphacis compared to my K701.  I wish I had the forethought of A/B comparing Dans phones to my K701 on his demo rig... so keep my commentary in its proper perspective.

Feb 24, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

1) HE-6
3) LCD-3
4) ESP-950
5) HD650

Add a +1 to that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back