Would you consider the HD 449 to be "portable"?
Aug 14, 2012 at 9:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

FS2

Head-Fier
I'm looking at getting a new pair of headphones and have my eye on the 449s.  They look comfy and are closed back which I'm hoping will offer a small amount of isolation.  Only thing is they do look a bit big, and I'm wondering if they're easy to carry around, or will I just end up getting another smaller set for that purpose.

Would really like to hear from current owners what they think... :)

Aug 15, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #2 of 6
I have them and yes they are very portable, why : they are light weight, come with a carrying bag, very comfortable and offers some isolation(18 decibels)(without music being played, once you have your music on the cant hear a thing from outside). they only thing is they dont have swivel earcups( earcup that can turn 180 degrees). 
cool.gif

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #3 of 6
in size, yes.
in practice, no. i dont consider them portable because they dont isolate well, and they leak a lot when i turn up the volume to counter the noise made from the bus and subway.

Aug 16, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #4 of 6
Interesting - I have a pair of PX 100 right now that I use, and I can't turn it up because my ears are pretty sensitive, and they'd hurt if I did so.  The noise of busses and trains is already uncomfortable for me.

Comfort is quite a big factor in my choice here, IEMs and earbuds are out because I've never been able to get used to them.

Are there any other headphones that I should be looking at?  Something with similar or better levels of comfort, sound quality and isolation?

Aug 20, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
if you like the px100, then the px200 ii is a good alternative.
closed back, on ear, sounds like a senn.

Yes and no... Overall the PX100 is nice, I do like the sound.  But at the same time it's a bit "fatiguing" - when I first started using it the sound was ever so slightly harsh and my ears hurt slightly after prolonged use.  Not because of clamping force or volume levels, just the... I dunnno... tonality?  of the thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back