would you buy no-name speakers?
May 17, 2004 at 4:21 AM Post #3 of 32
Hey man,

I wouldn't go for any of those. They'll probably end up being rip offs. Try going with a used pair of well-established speakers you know you like.

May 17, 2004 at 4:28 AM Post #5 of 32
these are not OEM speakers. trust me. ...they look like the cheap crap they make in china. at least look like the type i see in chinese showrooms over there.

they'll probably sound fine. but they are not audiophile by any standard. i mean, if you can buy some for like $50-100, i guess it's okay, cause even cheap-o speakers of that size will cost more. but i wouldn't pay much more than that. and don't expect real hi-fi sound.

May 17, 2004 at 4:31 AM Post #6 of 32
Looks like the white van people have now invaded ebay.
blink.gif

May 17, 2004 at 4:56 AM Post #8 of 32
Better stick with a brand name speaker manufacturer that backs its products.

On the other hand, there are many inexpensive speakers that are of high quality from China....ones that carry the brand names of Athena, JBL, NHT, Wharfedale, Rocket, etc.... Never judge a product by their country of origin; just them by how they perform.

May 17, 2004 at 5:00 AM Post #9 of 32
If you are looking at paying 6 bills for a pair of speakers, check out the PSB Image 5T over at Yawa.

yawaonline_1792_233293

...or the Image 6T for 7 bills.

yawaonline_1791_308152

You would MUCH better off than buying the ones off e-Bay.

May 17, 2004 at 6:00 AM Post #10 of 32
The psb's need a great amp to shine. Beware the investment.

And here's another vote against the white van speakers on ebay! If your budget limit is $200-300, go on ebay and grab some used powered studio monitors. At that price, my choice is event tr-5 which you can land on ebay for around $200.

May 17, 2004 at 2:54 PM Post #12 of 32
There are just too many decent speakers out there to go for no name ones. If you want to save money, but speakers from Audiogon or Ebay.

The white van speakers are speakers that are usually sold out of white vans in grocery store parking lots. The sellers always have a good story on why they are so cheap and that they are usually thousands of dollars, but can be yours for a lot less.

May 18, 2004 at 4:36 AM Post #14 of 32
Did those guys in the van get to your town too. Man those guys really put some miles on. And that musta been some job they had cuz all those speakers they were selling outa that van are extras from an install job they had. I guess the guy who paid for 'em never realized they had extras and that's how come they can sell 'em so cheap. I'm sure it's true.
The guy told me they're the best speakers you can buy and that i could run 'em right off my computer's headphone jack without an amp 'cuz they were so "powerful" plus they're really light so they're easy to cary and resonate really nice with great bass. They really wanted to just get rid of 'em cuz they had another job and needed the room in the van for the new stuff. They mainly just wanted enough for lunch so I figure I got a great deal.
CPW
etysmile.gif

May 18, 2004 at 6:20 AM Post #15 of 32
About 9-10 years ago, the white van speaker guys were very active around here. I used to see them lingering around supermarkets, banks, etc. Eventually, word got out that the speakers were substandard and a local news crew did an exposé on the white van guys' shady dealings. The BBB got into the act and forced the white van guys to offer full refunds to anybody who bought their speakers. Unfortunately, according to the BBB, only about 30% of the people who complained actually claimed their refunds. The reason? With TV news crews loitering around the white van guys' warehouse, many people were too embarrassed to go down there and publicly admit that they'd been scammed.

A friend of mine was one of the 70% who was too embarrassed to get his money back. He kept the speakers in his closet for a couple of years, then finally decided to throw them away. I offered to take them off his hands and he dropped them at my place. They are currently connected to an older component system in the living room. I have to say that they're not complete *****, but they're not exactly great, either. Certainly not worth the $400 CDN that my friend paid for them.

So, yeah, stay away from these white van/overstock/liquidator/whatever-they-call-themselves-now ripoff vendors. Take your money to a reputable audio dealer, or buy some good used speakers from someone on Head-Fi or Audiogon or similar, instead.

D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back