1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Would This Be Crazy?

1. Skycyclepilot
    Can't seem to find those perfect headphones. Can you relate...

Love the extended sub-bass of my PM-3 headphones. Love the openness of my HE400i headphones. Thinking about selling/trading one or both for Beyer DT-1990 Pro headphones.

Am I losing my mind?

2. CT007
    Why not just buy a 1990, and return it if it sucks? Sell the junk, keep the gold.

3. Skycyclepilot
    Well, I'm not sure I'd have any luck selling the HE400i or PM-3 headphones, and I'd have to return the 1990s if I couldn't, even if I liked them. $600 is a lot of money for me right now.

4. megabigeye
    I can't speak to the HE400i, but the DT 1990 and PM-3 are pretty dissimilar, to my ear.
    Oddly, even though I own both, I've never really compared them. They just kind of fill different roles in my mind.

The PM-3 has a more emphasized bass/mid-bass than the DT 1990, but I think the DT 1990 reaches lower with more strength. I think of the DT 1990 as having very dynamic bass and the PM-3 seems more subtle and relaxed. Maybe? The bass on the PM-3 feels warmer, I think. I kind of assume that this comes of their being closed.
    Other than that, the mids aren't too different. The PM-3 has a little dip in the 250-500Hz region that makes them sound a little cold to my ear. The DT 1990 don't suffer from that problem, but they are slightly behind the rest of the mix in comparison to the HD 650, but I think the HD 650 are a bit forward in the mids. I think the mids on both the DT 1990 and PM-3 are more or less in the same place in the mix, it's just different parts that are forward or recessed.
    Treble is where the PM-3 and DT 1990 really differ in sound, though. I know a lot of people hear the PM-3 as being very neutral, but to me they've always sounded dark, with a downward sloping sound: emphasized bass, slightly withdrawn mids, and very rolled off treble. The rolled off nature of the treble hides a little bit of unevenness. To my ear, the DT 1990 is linear from sub-bass to below 6kHz, and then there's a strong peak at 8kHz, though to my ear there's no harshness (there was a discussion in the DT 1990 thread about whether or not the treble is sibilant; I say no, others say yes). If you like the treble presentation of the PM-3, there's a chance the DT 1990 might be too much for you.

As far as sounding open... The DT 1990 certainly sound more open than the PM-3, but I don't find the soundstage to be very large. I would say it's comparable to the HD 650, if you're familiar with that. If you're looking for a really open sound, you might not be satisfied.

All that being said, I think the DT 1990 and PM-3 are a good complement to each other: one is open, one closed; one is neutral-to-bright, the other is neutral-to-dark; one is kind of in your face with detail, the other more relaxed. Like I said, they fulfill different roles.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  5. megabigeye
    Gah! So I just realized that I was listening to my PM-3 with glasses on, which definitely affects the sound. What a dope!
    Taking my glasses off makes the bass more elevated than it is otherwise, definitely making them sound darker than the DT 1990, though I might also see how some would say it makes them warmer.
    I still think I'll stick by what I said earlier, though. The PM-3 have a thicker, warmer, bigger bass, but the DT 1990 are more linear and reach lower.

6. Skycyclepilot
    Thanks for your observations. I found a good buy on the 1990s, so ordered them. I find the PM-3s to be neutral across the board, with extended sub-bass. The treble is a bit soft to my ears. The HE400is are much brighter. Interestingly, the FR graphs on RTings show the PM-3s, HE400is, and 1990s all to have peaks at about 8 KHz, and all within a couple of decibels of each other. One thing is consistent in reviews, though - the 1990s peak is too much. I'll decide once mine are here. If it find them too sharp, I'll notch filter them just a little.

Why can't someone make a perfect set of headphones for $500... And why can't I afford the Focal Clears, which seem to come close... This is frustrating...