Would the Senn 201s fit my need for moderate isolation?
Mar 21, 2006 at 3:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Dan S.

New Head-Fier
I'm a college student, and I'm looking for a sealed pair of headphones to complement my Grado SR-60s. My roommate likes to put on music or watch TV at medium volumes, and there are times when I want to block that out. I understand that IEMs would isolate the best, but I'm also very conscious of my wallet--if the 201s can block out (or significantly muffle) a level of noise equivalent to normal speaking volume, that's all I need. Would the 280s provide sufficient isolation? Some considerations are: I have a big head and medium-large ears; sometimes I wear glasses while listening; I use my laptop and no amp for listening to music, and my soundcard is nothing special. I'd appreciate any input on the matter. Thanks!!

--Dan

Mar 21, 2006 at 4:18 AM Post #3 of 11
The HD201s don't let very much sound out but they do let quite a bit in as do the HD280s, good for work environments but not for train/bus/public use. The HD280s are advertised that they block out 32db of noise but that's bs, they don;t really block out anything.

Mar 21, 2006 at 4:32 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
The HD201s don't let very much sound out but they do let quite a bit in as do the HD280s, good for work environments but not for train/bus/public use. The HD280s are advertised that they block out 32db of noise but that's bs, they don;t really block out anything.

Do the HD201s isolate similarly to the HD280s? A friend in my dorm has the HD280s, and the isolation they provide is enough for my use, so if the HD201s are comparable, then they will be perfect.

Mar 21, 2006 at 4:36 AM Post #5 of 11
I found the HD280 to isolate better than my MDRV6 and slightly better than my DT770, owning all 3 at the same time. Not shure how it compares to the 201 though.

Mar 21, 2006 at 5:11 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan S.
Do the HD201s isolate similarly to the HD280s? A friend in my dorm has the HD280s, and the isolation they provide is enough for my use, so if the HD201s are comparable, then they will be perfect.

I'm afraid the HD201 is not even close to the HD280 in isolation. The HD280 is the most isolating closed non-IEM headphone I've used. The HD25 and HD25-SP would be my next-in-line, isolationwise. Then A900 (and presumably A500, though I haven't tried it), then HD201 somewhere below that.

For a student, I would tend to recommend IEMs over full-sized headphones because I think their extra isolation and their portability give you an edge, allowing you to block out noise and keep your focus anywhere. Roommate's TV? Not a big problem. Distracted by murmurings in the library? Not any more. You know how the lecture hall is always loud and boistrous while people are getting settled in for a test that's about to start? Want to spend those 10 minutes cramming instead? With IEMs you can.

If you are looking for a lower-budget solution than the HD280 or serious IEMs, consider getting a pair of Etymotic ER-20 "high fidelity" earplugs to wear under your Grados. Certainly not a perfect solution, but better than you're probably thinking while reading this. I love ER-20s; they're a great "cheat" to have on hand for all kinds of noisy situations.

Mar 21, 2006 at 5:19 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by episiarch

If you are looking for a lower-budget solution than the HD280 or serious IEMs, consider getting a pair of Etymotic ER-20 "high fidelity" earplugs to wear under your Grados. Certainly not a perfect solution, but better than you're probably thinking while reading this. I love ER-20s; they're a great "cheat" to have on hand for all kinds of noisy situations.

that's what i do on the bus... foam earplugs with ksc75 blasting over them. SQ not that great, but on a noisy bus I can live with that.

Mar 21, 2006 at 5:25 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by episiarch

Interesting suggestion! Are the ER-20s as effective in isolation as IEMs? If not, are there other earplugs that are as effective? The "high fidelity" feature of the ER-20s is nice, but my first priority is to block out sound; unfortunately for me, I need silence (or quiet music) to concentrate. Also, do these ER-20s fit the ear similarly to IEMs? One of my concerns about IEMs is comfort, so if the ER-20s are similar in fit to IEMs, this would be a good opportunity to audition them. These ER-20s, however, look like they'd be a good alternative to the pricier IEMs/HD280 solutions; it's too bad the HD201s don't look like they'll work, but I'd like to thank everyone for saving me from wasting $20! This site is terrific.

By the way, it seems like most of us are located near one another; I'm also in the Bay Area (at Stanford).

Mar 21, 2006 at 5:26 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfunk408
that's what i do on the bus... foam earplugs with ksc75 blasting over them. SQ not that great, but on a noisy bus I can live with that.

Try it with ER-20s. It'll be a whole different experience than with foams. Foams attenuate highs much more than lows, giving you a very muffled sound, while ER-20s attenuate pretty evenly across the spectrum, giving you sound that's pretty close to the real thing, just a lot quieter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back