would the edition 8 fit my needs?
Oct 6, 2009 at 9:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

BoxBoxBox

Aka: AndrewG
I am looking for a headphone that has these qualities, I am looking at edition 8 because it is more versatile and I can take it out with the dog or on trips, but I also want something that is high end /

* capable for prog rock with fast, impactful sound/powerful bass and clarity
* listen to clsasic rock and some classical, so lots of 'fun' but 'musical'
* very 'immersive' where the sound is addictive and you look forward to putting on the headphones and getting lost in the sounds
* good sound stage / accurate for spoken word (I am a transcriber and listen to lots of podcasts)

I'm also considering the HF2 but I heard edition 8 is more like speaker-quality. another thing is that i would be wearing several hours a day, so I am afraid the heavy pads might make my ears sweat a lot, anyone experience that problem? thanks for your help!

Oct 7, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #3 of 15
Yes - they fit all of your criteria. They have the tightest bass (Krell like bass) I've heard from a pair of headphones so far. If they weren't so darn expensive (and ugly), I'd be picking up a pair. They are a synergistic match with the Phonitor/Auditor amps.

**I have previously thought the Ed8's I auditioned were Ed9s and posted as such. So if anyone comes my posts where I have mentioned that I auditioned Ed9s with the Phonitor, it was the Ed8s I actually tried. The owner of the store that I audtioned them at had told me they were Ed9s and I believed him. It was only after I checked the ultrasone website a few days ago that the truth was revealed to me.**
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #4 of 15
Yes they should fit well (not sure about the spoken word part as I only use them for music). I would never wear them out and about though for fear of them getting stolen or damaged.

Oct 8, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #5 of 15
As an Ed8 owner, I think they would fit the bill perfectly for what you want. And I do take mine outside and on trips, etc. Of course, I benefit from living in a small town where the Ultrasone name is basically anonymous to passers by. I may as well be wearing headphones from Wal-Mart (albeit very shiny ones with Ethiopian sheep skin).
wink.gif

Oh, one other thing--will you be using a portable amp? While some have expressed satisfaction with the Ed8's unamped from an iPod, to me they sound so much better properly amped that I don't think I could ever justify using them as an unamped, portable phone.

Oct 8, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #6 of 15
I don't know where you live, but if possible, it would be a good idea to try them out before you buy them or buy from an authorized dealer with a good return policy. Folks who have heard the Edition 8s seem to either love them or dislike them. I fall into the latter category. In my opinion, for that money, JH13s completely wipe the floor with the Edition 8s, and most headphones, with what you're looking for. I don't think the 8s are bad headphones, but also think they're so much better available.

Oct 9, 2009 at 4:03 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know where you live, but if possible, it would be a good idea to try them out before you buy them or buy from an authorized dealer with a good return policy. Folks who have heard the Edition 8s seem to either love them or dislike them. I fall into the latter category. In my opinion, for that money, JH13s completely wipe the floor with the Edition 8s, and most headphones, with what you're looking for. I don't think the 8s are bad headphones, but also think they're so much better available.

I'm seconding this suggestion as I'm in the same boat as her. All the Ultrasone cans that I have ever tried (Proline 650, 750, HFI-580, HFI-780) have this unnatural sound about them. I personally don't like it but the owners of these of course do so proving the old adage that one man's treasure is another man's trash.
tongue.gif

Oct 9, 2009 at 12:24 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by hentai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a brief listening with the ed8 and I felt that vocal's not the phone's strength.

As expected of the typical Ultrasone sound. In those cans that I had tried, the midrange was almost non-existent.

Oct 9, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

With a price tag so close to hd800, i think its better to buy the sennheiser instead.

I don't agree. E8's IMO look better, sound better and isolate much better.

Oct 9, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

With a price tag so close to hd800, i think its better to buy the sennheiser instead.

Getting back to the OP's needs--versatile headphone for home, travel, or light outdoor use--obviously the HD800 is not an option.

The Edition 8 is a pretty polarizing headphone around here. I like mine alot, but I certainly realize that it is far from a great value as headphones go. As for the sound quality, the mids are a bit recessed, but it's hyperbole to say they are non-existent. As with most Ultrasone cans, the bass is the dominant trait, but I find it to be tight and well controlled when properly amped. Despite the prominence of bass, the high end does not suffer. Highs are clear and airy without a trace of sibilence.

Can you get better sound for less money in a headphone? I think most everyone (even Ultrasone fanboys) will answer in the affirmative. So why do I like mine? I think there are a lot of intangibles that make me not resent the inflated purchase price. I find the Edition 8's to be extremely comfortable, even for long listening sessions. The compact circumaural design really works well for me, providing great comfort and isolation without being overly bulky. The Ed8's convey a full-size, home headphone listening experience in a design that is small enough to travel with or take outside. And the build quality is second to none, IMO. For these reasons I find the Ed8 to be a very unique and versatile headphone. If budget is an issue, it is probably hard to justify owning them. They fall into the "extravagance" category. However, I find them to be enjoyable and fun in enough different settings (home, travel, light outdoor use), that I can rationalize a place for them in my headphone inventory.

Oct 9, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #13 of 15
I have the 9's and auditioned the HD800 as a possible replacement. To me The HD800's were not exciting and not for me. They also seemed lacking in the bass area but after wearing the ed -9's for a year, a sub woofer straped to my head would probably leave the same impression....

I plan on buying the 8's sooooon

Oct 9, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #14 of 15
Could try the Pro 900 as well. Cheaper and very much possible better. They certainly don´t have any problem in their mid range quite the opposite
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 9, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #15 of 15
Well, I suppose my ears are defective or something. I can never get the Ultrasone sound... the other day I had an argument with a fellow audiophile that I would take the MS1i over his PRO 750 and he took offense to that.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back