Would the ATH-M50x be a huge upgrade for my current headphones? if not, wich?
Jun 17, 2015 at 9:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

davidsg1197

New Head-Fier
hi, im pretty new to this forum and also a newbie in the headphone world, but since i discovered the great pleasure of listening to good headphones,  i do a lot of research in this forum and want to learn more about what to look for when buying a new pair of cans, i currently have a pair of sennheiser MOE that i bought at a very nice price, and now i wonder how much better and pleasant my music could sound.
 i see a lot of people recomending the ath50x and i want to know if these cans would be a huge upgrade for my current senns and if not, wich headphones could be a lot better?
i like to listen to almost every genres of music exept hip hop and these kind of bassy music, i also dont like rap, but i love rock and metal (the "soft" type), some types of electronic music and pop, but in general i want a set of cans that sound good with almost every genre.

my budget is around the price of the ath50, but i could save more money if other models worth it, my source is a meizu mx4 which is a pretty singular phone, i also wonder if i will need an amp for the "upgrade headphones" with this phone since it has very nice audio specs http://www.meizu.com/en/products/mx4pro/hifi.html and i want to know how far can i go with this phone without an amp.

i dont know yet if i want an open or closed cans, so, please recomend me both types of headphones i you can

english not my main languaje so be gentle with my grammar 
biggrin.gif

Jun 18, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #3 of 25
I think he has Momentum on  or over ear. If so AT50X will be a down grade for sure in my opinion. I returned  50X way over hyped.

Jun 18, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #4 of 25
You're not going to get better than the Sennheiser at ATM50X prices, so just get an amp. 

Jun 18, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #5 of 25
To my ears, the Yamaha HPH-MT220 is in a completely different league (ie significantly better) than the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x. It is available for $150 from some retailers, despite the $399 MSRP.

Jun 18, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #8 of 25
The Ath50's are absolute trash without the hm5 pad upgrade. You can pick either velour or pleather. Both will make a massive upgrade.

Jun 18, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #9 of 25
  To my ears, the Yamaha HPH-MT220 is in a completely different league (ie significantly better) than the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x. It is available for $150 from some retailers, despite the $399 MSRP.

Agreed, but someone preferring a somewhat bass boasted can may find that it is not their cup of tea.

Jun 18, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #11 of 25

Agreed, but someone preferring a somewhat bass boasted can may find that it is not their cup of tea.

The MT220's bass can rattle your skull if the song calls for it, without sacrificing clarity. The M50x's bass, on the other hand, just muddies up the sound.

Right--and then of course it's not due to boasted/enhanced bass in the sound signature.

Jun 18, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #12 of 25
i also was looking for the hd598 for upgrading my momentum on ears, the on ears where my first <50$ headphones.

what do u guys think about these cans if i will be listening to them on my meizu? do u guys find the 3.5mm adapter impractical?

Jun 18, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #13 of 25
  i also was looking for the hd598 for upgrading my momentum on ears, the on ears where my first <50$ headphones.

what do u guys think about these cans if i will be listening to them on my meizu? do u guys find the 3.5mm adapter impractical?

They're open--which means they leak sound and isolate poorly.  In addition, they are not the proper choice of those that like even a slightly bassy can.  They also don't extend as well in bass as does the MT220.

Jun 18, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #14 of 25

They're open--which means they leak sound and isolate poorly.  In addition, they are not the proper choice of those that like even a slightly bassy can.  They also don't extend as well in bass as does the MT220.

mmm i really didnt like the v shaped signature of the on ear too much, i wanted a more detailed headphone, and that is why i considered the hd598, i will see if the mt220 are aviable in my country or can be shiped to my country in amazon.

Jun 18, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #15 of 25

mmm i really didnt like the v shaped signature of the on ear too much, i wanted a more detailed headphone, and that is why i considered the hd598, i will see if the mt220 are aviable in my country or can be shiped to my country in amazon.

A bass enhanced can does not have to have a "V" shaped EQ.

The HD 598 is an excellent can.  While it will be superior in clarity, detail retrieval and imaging over your Momentums, it have the velvet smooth Senn veil and is not as clear as a number of similarly priced offerings by brands AKG and Beyer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back