Would re-cabling my DT-770s be worth it if I used these cables?
Apr 28, 2013 at 5:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

SneakyPelican

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone, I recently ruined one of the drivers on my DT 770's (mistook the voicecoil wires for hairs on the driver) and I figured, "Hey, since I have to open these up anyways, should I recable these?" So I came here to ask. I have two types of cable that have been laying in a droor for a while, one is Scosche and looks to be a dual braid. The other one is Raptor and looks to be silver covered copper or something of the like. Are either of these worth using on DT 770's or are they too cheap to consider? Thanks :D

Apr 28, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #2 of 11
The stock cable is already cheap.

Anything should do, really.  Go for the more flexible one.

Apr 28, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #3 of 11
Is there any benefit to running a cable to each cup instead of one cable to the left? It seemed to me that my left driver had more volume while listening but that might have just been the right driver being weaker.

Apr 28, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #5 of 11
That's okay.

The cable goes into the left side only then a long thin wire goes over to the right side through the headband.  It is mostly for convenience.

Are you sure that the channel imbalance is not due to your own ears?  You may have some kind of problem going on with the right channel driver, or the thin cable going to the right side is kinked or damaged.
If the right channel driver is fine, then go for a dual-entry cable.  This will require drilling a small hole in the right cup.

Apr 28, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #6 of 11
It wasn't my ears. I wore it backwards to check. Luckily the driver i ruined was the more quiet one so once i get my new driver and solder it on ill check and see if its still somewhat more quiet than the left. If it is, I'll go dual entry.

Apr 28, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #7 of 11
By the way If I recable I really want to make it a removable cable...  Like this http://www.head-fi.org/t/643648/beyer-dt770-pro-80-detachable-cable-mod
Though I'd have one in each cup.. I've also thought about doing that but with female RCA jacks. I dunno.
Out of curiosity do you happen to know how to woody a dt 770? I want to REALLY badly but nobody has a tutorial. Only finished product pictures.

Apr 28, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #8 of 11
Derp, I forgot that you mentioned that you messed up a driver.

Try single-entry first.  You will have to burn-in the new driver so that it sounds the same as the older one.  If channel balance was fine before and remains that way, then single-entry will do unless you want to go dual-entry for the heck of it.

There's the possibility that if the new cable is a little too much better than the cable going over to the right side, then you may notice the right side sounding a little more colored and less clean than the left, but you need to burn-in the new driver first to check for that.  Then you should go dual-entry unless the difference doesn't bother you.

Apr 28, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #9 of 11
If that was the case I could just use some of the new cable to cross from the left to the right, couldn't I? :p By the way is there some faster way to communicate on head fi than refreshing my thread list to see when you've responded? XD

Apr 28, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #10 of 11
You could do that as well.

This is not a chat/instant messenger place, duh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back