Would My Sony X1060 And Earsonics SM3 Combination Benefit From An Amp?
May 30, 2010 at 9:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Big Kev

500+ Head-Fier
Whilst I'm very happy with the current X1060 and SM3 combination, I am wondering if it would get even better, with the addition of a portable amp?

I don't want to spend any money on an amp if there is little/no benefit, but as I have never owned, or even tried an amp, I'm asking for some advice from far more knowledgeable people than me.

If I would benefit from an amp, any suggestions?

Cheers.

Jun 1, 2010 at 7:00 AM Post #3 of 18
I have heard neither the Sony nor the Earsonics. But purely from what I have read I doubt the EM3 are difficult to drive.

I suggest you try to meet other head-fiers in London and try your combo with an amp to see if you like what you hear. Sometimes people use amps to compensate for any deficincies in a earphone (like emphasizing bass in bass light phones or boosting the midrange to compensate for recessed mids). However I hear that the EM3 does not have any such deficiency and is about as neutrala as they get.

Jun 1, 2010 at 12:36 PM Post #4 of 18
Thanks for the reply mate.

I can't see any deficiencies in the current set up, but as I have no experience with amps, I thought I'd enquire.  I might just stay as I am for the moment, still deciding.

Jun 5, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #6 of 18
I have the X and some headphones and am thnking about a portable amp too. I am thinking of getting the E7 but am too uncertain about the benefits. Maybe I will simply buy it and see for myself.

Jun 5, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #7 of 18
Sony X has a very good built in amp. Some fellow head-fiers have said that they have seen some benefit by adding an amp to the sony X. It broadens the sound stage i believe. Also LOD is the best way to go to get any benefit. I am waiting for my PICO slim. Will see if amp makes a difference or not ..

There is this article that might give you some idea : http://www.headfonia.com/?p=2796

PC

Jun 6, 2010 at 6:30 AM Post #9 of 18

Quote:
Sony X has a very good built in amp. Some fellow head-fiers have said that they have seen some benefit by adding an amp to the sony X. It broadens the sound stage i believe. Also LOD is the best way to go to get any benefit. I am waiting for my PICO slim. Will see if amp makes a difference or not ..

There is this article that might give you some idea : http://www.headfonia.com/?p=2796

PC

I would of course buy a LOD cable to go with the amp.

Jun 6, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #10 of 18
I am not sure how good the Sony X line out is, but the line out on the A845 is pretty bad in comparison to the older A828. I don't know if that is a bad implementation in all of Sony's S-Master units or not. But be careful, the inclusion of 'line out' doesn't mean anything. As has been illustrated in many DAP's from the Cowon X5 to Sony's newest players, line out doesn't mean better. One thing though, the line out reduces the awful hiss and some background artefacts, but it does so at the expense of signal fidelity. 

Next, the S-Master is decent, but not great. I'd actually say in terms of recording fidelity, it is a bit worse than previous Sony players, but it seems smoother which is probably grabbing all the headlines. I like and use both, but I am not happy with my purchase of the S-Master series over my 2-year old A series. The SM3 is an EASY to drive earphone, whether or not the internal amp section is good or not.

It maintains a good frequency response from almost any decent player (exclude a lot of players out there, but still...) and good space. It MAY benefit from a good amp (but there are lots of rubbish ones out there) for space and maybe sparkle, but not really. I am impressed with how similar the amped signal and the unamped signal are from this badboy.

Jun 6, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #11 of 18
I can tell you that an amp can make a difference in certain IEMs.  I've noticed that IEMs with multiple drivers such as TF10 sounds much different when amped.  Sound tightens up and becomes much more punchier probably as a result of additional power from amping.  Yes, thats with Sony X.  I do not believe that dynamic drivers benefit from amping.

Jun 6, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #12 of 18

Quote:
I am not sure how good the Sony X line out is, but the line out on the A845 is pretty bad in comparison to the older A828. I don't know if that is a bad implementation in all of Sony's S-Master units or not. But be careful, the inclusion of 'line out' doesn't mean anything. As has been illustrated in many DAP's from the Cowon X5 to Sony's newest players, line out doesn't mean better. One thing though, the line out reduces the awful hiss and some background artefacts, but it does so at the expense of signal fidelity. 

Next, the S-Master is decent, but not great. I'd actually say in terms of recording fidelity, it is a bit worse than previous Sony players, but it seems smoother which is probably grabbing all the headlines. I like and use both, but I am not happy with my purchase of the S-Master series over my 2-year old A series. The SM3 is an EASY to drive earphone, whether or not the internal amp section is good or not.

It maintains a good frequency response from almost any decent player (exclude a lot of players out there, but still...) and good space. It MAY benefit from a good amp (but there are lots of rubbish ones out there) for space and maybe sparkle, but not really. I am impressed with how similar the amped signal and the unamped signal are from this badboy.

Hmm . Haven't thought that way . I did love my old A7x series. But it only had 16 gb so i bought the X. However Headfonia had some good reviews on the line out for Sony. Seems positive ..

PC

Jun 7, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #13 of 18
It has already been stated in the forums and in reviews that the X's line out is much better than the A845's.

Quote:

Jun 7, 2010 at 6:54 AM Post #14 of 18
I've not read that. I've read just opinions that one sounds better than the other or not, but no real serious work done with the line out. In fact, I see very little attention paid to anything but the news that something has a line out and if it does, the immediate flocking of everyone to the device whether or not the line out is worth it or not. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back