Would Logitech Z623 work well on stx sound card?
Apr 28, 2015 at 1:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

mxg848

New Head-Fier
Pretty much I have these speakers I listen to a lot of music and looking at getting a asus stx but I want to make sure my speakers are worth it. I also have a pair of Vmoda m100 headphones will those be worth it also.

Apr 28, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #2 of 19
Your getting the Z623 speakers but your not sure they are worth it?

The Essence STX sound card and Z623 2.1 speakers will fine with each other, as well as the V-Moda headphones.

Remember to disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, before installing the STX and software

I prefer using the Unified Xonar drivers, with my Asus sound cards.
http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

Apr 28, 2015 at 2:50 AM Post #4 of 19
Thanks so the 2.1 system would work better than surround sound right? Also do those drivers work better audio or compatibility wise

If you wanted real 5.1 speaker surround sound you would need a 5.1 speaker setup.
Personally for me for a 5.1, I would use headphones and a sound card like the Essence STX, which comes with Dolby Headphone surround sound.

Apr 28, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #5 of 19
OK and I'm new to all this but from some forums say sound card doesn't do well on low impedance and my vmoda are 32 I don't know what that means but is that true?

Apr 28, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #6 of 19
OK and I'm new to all this but from some forums say sound card doesn't do well on low impedance and my vmoda are 32 I don't know what that means but is that true?

The Essence STX comes with an output impedance of 10-Ohms and technically with 32-Ohm headphones, you would want a headphone amplifier with a 4-Ohms or less output impedance.
But 10-Ohm is about as low an output impedance you can get from a sound card.
I plugged my 32-Ohm AKG K550s into my Essence STX sound card and thought they sounded fine.

Apr 28, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #8 of 19
What is your budget? It's possible there is a better solution for you than the STX, one with lower output impedance.

With 2.1 speakers, I don't like virtual surround. All that does is artificially expand the soundstage a bit. Also, a lot of people find that virtual surround with headphones doesn't sound better with music than without it. So you might think about whether you need the virtual surround.

Apr 28, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #10 of 19
You could get a Meridian Explorer: http://www.amazon.com/Meridian-Explorer-USB-DAC/dp/B00BCJWTAM

It has a low headphone output impedance of 0.47 ohms, more than low enough. Has a separate line out for connecting your speakers.

Apr 28, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #11 of 19
I don't think I need surround sound at all it not for gaming or videos really just music. And my budget is around 200

If all your doing really is music, then you really have not need for surround sound.
You might be thinking of sound stage, which is involved in some music, which works with 2.0 speaker (or 2.1) and headphones.
You might see if you can get a FiiO E10K ($76 USA), USB/DAC/amp, comes with an amplified (and low impedance >1-Ohm) headphone jack and a separate line-output for the speakers (Z623).

Apr 28, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #12 of 19
Yea I watch movies but not very much almost all of it is musi but still want it to sound good when I do. So as long as it sounds OK I don't really need surround sound

Apr 28, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #14 of 19
So the meridian would work better for music then the sound card? Also internal or external matter is one better than the other

The Meridian is a better impedance match for your headphones, which has some effect on how headphones sound. External DAC/amps sometimes offer an advantage over internal soundcards in that they eliminate some potential EMI noise problems. Are there significant differences in DACs/headphone amps once you get up to the E10K and above? Well, if the amp is the right match to power the headphones, some people would say that the neither the Meridian nor the STX is practically better than the E10K, that the sound differences would be minute (well, other than if the STX had any noise issues be being internal on the computer).

So which would be better for your music listening with your headphones? Only you could be the judge.

Apr 28, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #15 of 19
Yea I watch movies but not very much almost all of it is music but still want it to sound good when I do. So as long as it sounds OK I don't really need surround sound

Some of the software programs used for watching movies (DVDs and Blu-ray) come with their own built in surround sound feature.
I use Cyber-links Power DVD 11 Ultra for watching Blu-ray movies and Media Player Classic for everything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back