1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Would I need a headphone splitter for the Schiit Modi if I'm using the Beyerdynamic DT990?

Discussion in 'Dedicated Source Components' started by devilmonk, Oct 11, 2016.
  1. devilmonk
    I have the O2 Amplifier, with the Asus Xonar DG soundcard (with a built in dac). Hear this buzzing when plugged into the O2, and when its plugged directly into my computer.
    Wanted to make sure that it wasn't my headphones breaking randomly and they work fine on my iphone.

I've looked around at the cables, everything seems to be connected and working properly. I switched from using two powerbars to using only one for potential grounding issues, but I still had the problem.

Decided I'm getting a external DAC because that will probably fix all my problems. I'm considering getting the Schiit Modi with my O2 amp. Problem is I noticed the Modi has a separate Left and Right connection, so if I bought it would I need a headphone splitter?

2. chef8489
    The modi is just the dac. you would need a headphone amp to plug into the dac so you can run your headphones into. You would run usb or spdif in to your modi and rca into your headphone amp.

3. i20bot
    So your O2 amp only has the 3.5mm in the front and doesn't have RCA inputs in the back?  If it only has the 3.5mm input jack in the front then you'll need the RCA to 3.5mm adapter.

4. PurpleAngel Contributor

Not sure by what you mean about the Modi having a right and left connection?
    Do you mean the Modi has a right and left channel RCA output?

Assuming the O2 amp has a 3.5mm stereo input jack.

So you would need an RCA (right and left plug) to 1/8" 3.5mm stereo plug, to connect the Modi to the O2?

When you say your plugging the headphones directly into the computer, do you mean into the Xonar DG or into the computer's on-board audio?

Did you disabled the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, when you installed the Xonar DG?

If you bought a Modi DAC, you you get the USB only version, or the Uber version with USB, optical & coaxial input ports?

I would think using separate powerbar would be more helpful for fixing grounding issues, over using just one powerbar?

5. ProtegeManiac Contributor

Why would you need a headphone splitter? The Modi is a DAC, you'll use it with the O2. If your O2 is the one with the 3.5mm jack in the front instead of RCA for inputs, what you need is a 3.5mm to RCA cable, not a headphone splitter.

Still, there are two other problems going with that solution. First is the cable mess - the cables have to snake from the back of the Modi to the front 3.5mm jack on the O2. Second, and more importantly as this isn't just about neatness, the regular Modi only uses USB. That means your Xonar DG will be completely bypassed, so you won't get any benefit from the DSP, like virtual surround simulation. What you need is the Modi2 Uber, which has SPDIF inputs. You hook it up to the soundcard's SPDIF output and the DSP still works on the signal.

You might as well save up and get the Modi2 Uber and Magni2 Uber or Vali2.