Would I like the AKG 1000's?
Apr 24, 2002 at 5:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

PUGSTUB

500+ Head-Fier
I have been looking at the AKG 1000's and thinking of trying a pair. I value definition and superior imaging as the requirements. Is this the right headphone for me? If it is, what amp works well with it that costs less than $800 or so. I can't afford the ASL 1005, it is out of my price range. Thanks for the help.

Apr 24, 2002 at 6:23 AM Post #2 of 12
The K1000 has, understandably, good "out of the head" imaging and has a smooth natural sound that's pretty alluring. If you don't mind looking like a dork, don't need isolation and don't mind having a regular amp for it, it's not a bad headphone to have at all.

I'm kinda wondering if many people have used it with the Micro Integrated Drive. Someone had suggesting using a bottlehead preamp and a couple of those Wave 8 amps by ASL. I wouldn't mind hearing that. I heard it on Flump's Rotel which as I understand it, was a bit of a price/performance leader. What was the model? 775 I think?

Apr 24, 2002 at 6:44 AM Post #3 of 12
I also heard the Rotel/Melos combo for the AKG-K1000 which, surprisingly, was lacking when compared with a direct connection to a Parasound HCA-1000A amplifier. It's possible that the Melos and Rotel were negating each other's strengths.

A used Parasound amp can be easily found for $350 and works great with the K1000. Probably any high current solid state amplifier will do. Or you can go the DIY route like DRCope and get a pair of Bottlehead Paramour monoblocks for $575. That will give you wonderful sounding tube amplification with sufficient wattage (I've heard) for cheap.

Apr 24, 2002 at 7:08 AM Post #4 of 12
I wouldn't reccomend using the Wave 8's with the K1000, personally. They work alright with speakers but they're not good enough to be used with a headphone like the K1000. the wave 8s have heavy bass and harsh treble, and these faults would only be magnified by the AKGs. (By the way, I used the wave 8s and the AKG K501s using the ASL headphone adapter and they sounded rotten. that's another reason why I don't think they would work with the K1000s.)

Apr 24, 2002 at 7:17 AM Post #5 of 12
Neruda (and Kwarth), since you guys are the K1000 champions, have either of you heard the McCormack MID? I admit I'm a little excited about the idea of an amp that would drive both normal headphones and K1000s (and be good), would like to hear from someone who has used it that way.

Apr 24, 2002 at 12:05 PM Post #7 of 12
Melos SHA-1 -> Wave 8 monos -> K1000 is clearly superior to SHA-1 -> HD600, I haven't used the Senns since the K1000 arrived, except to compare. The Wave 8s are not bad value at $110 each but there is obviously a lot of room for improvement. I think I'll probably replace mine with a pair of Laurel IIX monoblocks (SE 300B) from Welborne labs, but I'm still considering everything.

Apr 25, 2002 at 4:15 PM Post #8 of 12
I own the MID, and I think it's a terrific headphone amp/preamp. It has to be one of the most versatile amps out there. It's a shame that it's discontinued. I use mine as a headphone amp, as a full-time preamp, and occassionally, as an amp to drive speakers (which it does very well - plays LOUD).

I have used the MID to drive a pair of AKG K1000s. It does this very well. I simply removed the internal jumpers (easy to do) to increase the gain from the standard 12db to 26 db. With that much gain, the amp has more than enough juice to drive the K1000s.

My MID is one of the newer models and does not have the speaker binding posts in the back. Steve McCormack, though, sent me a custom adaptor he made for me that enabled me to drive the the K1000s (and speakers) from one of the headphone jacks on the front.

Kelly, I got your e-mail with your questions regarding the MID. I am really busy with work, but will respond as soon as I get a chance.

Apr 25, 2002 at 4:30 PM Post #9 of 12
Thanks, John.
smily_headphones1.gif

I haven't even decided whether I'm ultimately going to keep the MID but I still think it's a great product. If I do keep it, I'll almost certainly have to get K1000s.

*sigh* HD600, Etymotic ... Omega II, K1000

"...but you only have one head!"

Apr 25, 2002 at 4:52 PM Post #10 of 12
If it helps, Headroom has the K1000 on sale right now.

Apr 25, 2002 at 8:45 PM Post #11 of 12
Turns out the Melos sucks as a preamp, at least with the Rotel... It was doin' weird things to the sound, so its gone now. I imagine just the Rotel would probably be better... Anyway, I have no clue what amp would be good, but these are great headphones for classical music.

Apr 25, 2002 at 11:54 PM Post #12 of 12
Kelly, I feel your pain. There are a lot of great headphones out there. Unfortunately, in order to sound their best, they all seem to have individual preferences in regards to matching source and amplifier matches.

I own the HD 600s and think they truly are a world class headphone. Sometimes, I think they don't garner the same amount of respect as the really expensive phones (STAX, Sony MDR R-10, etc), simply because of their (much) lower cost.

I've never heard the Etymotics and would really like to, someday.

The K1000's are good, but I actually preferred the HD 600s, and subsequently returned them to Headroom (sorry, Todd). Of course, I never tried them with a tube amp, which is (according to some, at least) the way to go. I'm kind of intrigued, again. And they're on sale at Headroom. Must be strong; must resist temptation.

Besides, I've already spent WAY too much money, lately. I've been a STAX convert for over a year now and just recently purchased the Omega II's from EIFL. I will write up a review as soon as I have a really good (objective) feel for its sound characteristics (and also as soon as I get some time).

Oh, and I promise I will respond to your e-mail!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back