Would I benefit from Modi/Magni Combo?
Jun 27, 2014 at 12:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Beach13

New Head-Fier
I've been looking into DAC's and amplifiers and am looking into getting this combo as it seems like it is a good introduction. Just curious how much I would be able to tell the difference from my current setup. My setup is V-Moda M100's hooked up to my computer which has a sounblaster x-fi titanium sound card in it. If it would be a dramatic improvement should i get the schiit modi w/ the USB or Optical input. and also I do a lot of gaming and watch a lot of movies on my computer will it drastically improve these as well?

Jun 27, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #2 of 5
  I've been looking into DAC's and amplifiers and am looking into getting this combo as it seems like it is a good introduction. Just curious how much I would be able to tell the difference from my current setup. My setup is V-Moda M100's hooked up to my computer which has a Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium sound card in it. If it would be a dramatic improvement should i get the Schiit Modi w/ the USB or Optical input. and also I do a lot of gaming and watch a lot of movies on my computer will it drastically improve these as well?

Is it the Titanium regular or Titanium-HD?
The Modi/Magni should offer improvement in audio quality.
Get the Modi with optical, connect it to the Titanium's optical output so you can still use CMSS-3D headphone surround sound.
USB will bypass the sound card features.

A cheaper improvement is to just replace the Titanium with Sound Blaster Z ($90 to $105).
but technically would not match the Modi/Magni sound quality, but should still be better then the Titanium.

Jun 27, 2014 at 2:32 AM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the response. The exact sound card I'm using is this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102019

For gaming would it help/improve the surround sound noticeably for first person shooters?

Jun 27, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #4 of 5
  Thanks for the response. The exact sound card I'm using is this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102019

For gaming would it help/improve the surround sound noticeably for first person shooters?

You have what is sometimes referred to as a Titanium (non-HD) sound card.
Adding an external DAC/Amp connected (optically) to the Titanium (non-HD) sound card, would not really change the headphone surround sound feature.
It might make whatever sounds you hear in a FPS sound just a little more realistic or a touch more clarity.

Jun 28, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #5 of 5
I honestly don't think you'll find "drastic" and "dramatic" improvements in your setup by adding a dac/amp. I think a better term for the improvements you'll see would be refinements.

Is there anything in specific you'd like to improve on your current setup for gaming?

- Roy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back