Would I be losing SQ when I burn songs from iTunes onto a CD?
Nov 7, 2007 at 11:16 PM Post #16 of 27
There are three seperate statements here, so I'll answer them seperately.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you suggesting that buring AAC files to a CD decreases their SQ in some magical way?

No! That's what you said:

"The second WAV file will sound noticably lower quality than either of the first two files."

Quote:

Are you suggesting that WAV to AAC is not lossy?

Your the one who said:

"The lossy file will probably sound almost identical (if not identical) to the original WAV file."

How can a "lossy file" sound identical to the original WAV?

This thread isn't about the transparency of "lossy files" in the first place so I have no idea why you're mentioning it.

Quote:

Where does the upconverter get the information to add back in to create the original WAV file to enure it's the same as the original?

Huh? What "upconverter"? Please explain.

This thread is about the decoding of AAC files to WAV files. Nothing else.

FACT:
There is zero quality loss when decoding AAC to WAV. The resulting WAV will sound exactly the same as the AAC file.

EK

Nov 7, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #17 of 27
One could also say that the whole point of a lossless algorithm is that you don't lose information when converting to it...

Nov 7, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by K2Grey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One could also say that the whole point of a lossless algorithm is that you don't lose information when converting to it...

PCM is not even a "lossless" format. It's uncompressed audio. By definition you can't "lose" anything.

EK

Nov 7, 2007 at 11:49 PM Post #19 of 27
True that. But wouldn't the AAC->PCM conversion be considered a lossless algorithm?

Nov 8, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by K2Grey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
True that. But wouldn't the AAC->PCM conversion be considered a lossless algorithm?

Yes, it is.

"fordgtlover" post's are bugging me. I'm sure there is some simple misunderstanding, but the "upconverter" has me intrigued
wink.gif

EK

Nov 8, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, it is.

"fordgtlover" post's are bugging me. I'm sure there is some simple misunderstanding, but the "upconverter" has me intrigued
wink.gif

EK

or miswording.

Nov 8, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Well, please explain yourself then evilking. If this is all you are going to say - you're just thread crapping. Please enlighten us all then.

Are you suggesting that buring AAC files to a CD decreases their SQ in some magical way? Are you suggesting that WAV to AAC is not lossy? Where does the upconverter get the information to add back in to create the original WAV file to enure it's the same as the original?

As I previously stated - try it for yourselves and make your own mind up.

I'm sorry but Evilking is right. You are talking nonsense. And why should he waste timing explaining to you why you are talking nonsense if you haven't even bothered to check your stories before you start giving "advice". The wav file created from a lossy file (barring software or hardware errors) contains the exact same information as the lossy file.

Nov 8, 2007 at 9:18 AM Post #24 of 27
Sorry for the confusion. I re-read my statement and realise that it is wrong due to me thinking about one thing and writing about another. For some reason I thought the OP wanted wanted the AAC file to be the same as the original WAV.

I have edited the post to leave the only sensible, and on topic, comment in the post. (hopefully that's not too contentious)

My apologies to the OP and the thread.

By upconvert I broadly mean decompress.

Nov 8, 2007 at 11:18 PM Post #25 of 27
It's okay fordgtlover. Like I said before, I only burn the disc without having to convert the files into anything prior to burning. I just want to be able to listen to the songs in the same quality as I would when I'm listening on my PC. I appreciate all the replies in this thread and I've learned quite a few.
600smile.gif

Nov 9, 2007 at 9:54 AM Post #27 of 27
You wont loose any sound quality or audio data.
Cause AAC to PCM decoding is a lossless process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back