Would I be happy with Westone 3 if...
Sep 11, 2009 at 8:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ibis99

100+ Head-Fier
I had SE530's. the Bass was Good, the Mids were Great, but the Highs were no where to be found.

I had ER4S. I loved them and still feel there very good. but I wanted something warmer so I went with 530's, but then I missed the sparkle of the Ety's.

Now I have the Phonak PFE and quite frankly for the price there unbeatable at the moment, but I'm wondering if the W3's are my sweet spot between defined punchy bass, smooth,liquid mids and precise,articulate highs.

Has anyone else had the opportunity to try the 3 phones I've listed and give a brief opinion?

And yes, I used the search feature.

Sep 11, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #2 of 12
Are you going to use this unamped? If not, what is your source/amp?

You should also consider the RE0 too. I've heard all of these except the ER4S, but I'm sure they fall into the PFE category.

To me, the RE0 is more detailed than the W3/SE530... when I was listening to those two, I found myself missing the detail of my RE0, although the added bass/warmth was nice.

The PFE is great but I much prefer the RE0 to them... but then again, I've only heard the PFE unamped and it sounded very analytical/lifeless.

Long story short.... warm: W3/SE530, cold: PFE.... sweet spot: RE0

Kinda funny/ironic since it's the cheapest one
tongue.gif

Sep 11, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You should also consider the RE0 too. I've heard all of these except the ER4S, but I'm sure they fall into the PFE category.

To me, the RE0 is more detailed than the W3/SE530... when I was listening to those two, I found myself missing the detail of my RE0, although the added bass/warmth was nice.

The PFE is great but I much prefer the RE0 to them... but then again, I've only heard the PFE unamped and it sounded very analytical/lifeless.

tongue.gif

These will be amped to a total airhead using an iPod touch 2nd gen and LOD. i like the PFE's w/black filter and silicon tips as they are quite warm.

What I'm looking for is the perfect balance between the ER4S and SE530. Or will I have to enter the custom market?

Sep 11, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #4 of 12
As I just said, the perfect balance between the ER4S and SE530 to me is the RE0.

I know you might find it hard to believe that the cheapest IEM out of the group sounds the best, but it's true.

Another more expensive option is the UM3X, which FWIR, beats the SE530 in almost every category.

Sep 11, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #5 of 12
FWIW, I've been around the block with the SE530, triple.fi 10 Pro, and Westone 3.

The SE530 feels and sounds rather boxy, meaning you can definitely tell you're listening to an IEM. The lows are okay, the mids are great, and of course the highs are...wait, where'd they go?

The triple.fi 10 Pro is my favorite of the three; it's like an Ety with part Grado. Wide soundstage that's odd for an IEM, and my only minor complaint was that the sound felt a bit "rough," or "unpolished."

The Westone 3 I felt never sounded natural. Very "EQ'd" to my ears, and there's really no other way to describe them. Like everything sounded exaggerated or messed with, but not in s horrible way. Just a very noticeable way.

(Ugh, this is the first time I typed something this long on my netbook, and now I am royally pissed off with how many spelling errors I achieved because of the stubborn, shallow keys.)

Sep 11, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Detrex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Koven, sound is subjective. What may be one's man honey can be another man's poison...You're making it seem as if your opinion is 'universally valid'.

Considering his requirements and my personal experience, having heard all of those IEM's, it's plenty valid.

Sound is obviously subjective but a forum is for sharing opinions.

Sep 11, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #7 of 12
Consider the UM3X, which is hyper-detailed, and very balanced. I had the W3s, but favor the UM3X for its balanced delivery. Read the threads on that phone, before you buy. Check out Catscratch's review, near the end of the UM3X thread.

Sep 11, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #8 of 12
If you have any way of trying out the W3 and the UM3X, please do. The W3 is very much a love it or hate it type of sound sig. The UM3X is a lot more like an improved version of the ER4S, which sounds like what you are looking for.

As I always say: buy a used pair here, try them out for a while. If they aren't your cup of tea, sell them for around the same price (or even more on Ebay) and try something else.

Sep 12, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #9 of 12
I think you want warm fuller sound with same details as on ER4S. ATH-CK100 sit perfect for this because they are very detailed with great bass extention. Some head-fiers says these are the improved version of ER4P/S with more bass and fuller sound. They also sound warm, airy and the both male/female vocals really sound great on these IEMs. UM3x and Westone 3 are warm, detailed the only difference between these two is, W3 sound fun warm and very detailed with deep punchy bass and extended highs. While UM3x shows perfect balance with more details in mids and same great highs.

Sep 12, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ibis99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had SE530's. the Bass was Good, the Mids were Great, but the Highs were no where to be found.

I had ER4S. I loved them and still feel there very good. but I wanted something warmer so I went with 530's, but then I missed the sparkle of the Ety's.

Now I have the Phonak PFE and quite frankly for the price there unbeatable at the moment, but I'm wondering if the W3's are my sweet spot between defined punchy bass, smooth,liquid mids and precise,articulate highs.

Has anyone else had the opportunity to try the 3 phones I've listed and give a brief opinion?

I own both the W3s and SE530s and based on your comments you would love the W3s. The highs really sparkle and the bass is even better. However, NOTHING beats the mids of the SE530s, but the W3s are really good.

Cheers,

Sep 12, 2009 at 9:25 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ibis99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have the Shure 530's and Westone 3's now. I've had my W3's for little over a month now and had the Shure530's for about 2 weeks. They both sound fantastic. Both are crystal clear and have no problem coming across as high-end headphones. The W3 has a better more punchier bass but doesn't over do it. On the Shure, there is bass but it is more quick and sutle. Above the bass into the mids the Shure's sound really great here. They outshine or clear up just a hair more then the W3's. Then to top it off, the W3's have been exceptional in doing that. Yea, the 530's can do it also but mixing all the levels I think the overall sound is coming from (and also) much more confortable in ear. I can sleep on the side of my head and wake up feeling not sore or anything.
I have brand new Shure530. I bought them for $266. Anyone wanna take em let me know. $266 and whatever shipping. They are going back to Amazon anyway.

Sep 12, 2009 at 9:26 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif

tongue.gif

I'm curious to think why I see a lot of positive stuff on the RE0's? I just read a post indicating there is no bass. Why are they popular, just because of how cheap they are?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back