Would I be dissapointed if I bought the Ety ER-6i's?
Aug 4, 2007 at 10:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

pez

Headphoneus Supremus
I currently love my Super.fi 3's and they are wonderful at detail, and I can constantly hear the bass burning in to these. I don't want to get headphones that are worse than what I already have. I really love clarity, especially when I listen to metal. So the question stands, are the Etymotic ER-6i's going to be a let down compared to my Super.fi 3's?

Aug 4, 2007 at 11:17 PM Post #3 of 27
um i really would like to know about what I asked, but I'm waiting for christmas, if the answer comes to a definite from my above question, then I will definitely be getting the UE Super.fi 5 Pro's, but never mind that, I really want to know^^

Aug 5, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #4 of 27
My birthday is coming up and I have this obsession w/ headphones, I'm either gonna buy the Ety's if I get good feedback or a shuffle for when I'm at school.

Aug 5, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #5 of 27
I don't believe the difference in quality will be that extreme between what you have and the ety's....they definitely sound different. I personally prefer the etymotics by a very slim margin, but if you could hold off and get something better like er4p or the UE super fi 5 i think you'd notice a tremendous boost in quality.

Aug 5, 2007 at 3:48 AM Post #6 of 27
You will love ER6i if you are an Ety lover, kind of like how some people love Grado but some hate them... Ety has a distinctive sound signature that most people will find it to be too lean and clean. You best bet is SF5 pro, if you are more of a 'normol' listener
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 5, 2007 at 4:00 AM Post #7 of 27
david, can you tell me if the bass is stronger even a little bit in the ety's? and how's clarity?

Aug 5, 2007 at 4:36 AM Post #8 of 27
From what I remember the bass is not stronger in the Ety's........If you're a bass fan, you may want to look into shures, or stick with Ultimate Ears. Etymotics tend to appeal more to people who prefer a very VERY controlled and tame bass response. The clarity is about the same, maybe the ety's could be perceived as a little clearer because the bass is slightly less. What music specifically are you going to be listening to, could you name a few artists / bands?

Aug 5, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #9 of 27
is the bass a little cleaner? it seems w/ the super.fi 3's it's not as clear as ety's sound they would be...i listen to metal, but i still prize clarity over bass, but i still want some bass...sry for being so picky and irritating, but could you give me a straight comparison to the super.fi 3's w/ the er-6i, oh and btw...my fav bands are... Drop Dead, Gorgeous; Fear Before the March of Flames; Norma Jean; Circa Survive; Scarlet (even though they broke up :<); Acacia Strain; Lamb of God...etc. I like a variety of Metal, Screamo, Alternative, and some rap pretty much. I'm really waiting to by IEM's such as the Super.fi 5 Pro's til X-mas, but I want to know if the Ety's are worth the comparison...another reason....i wear glasses so i'm not too fond of the UE's even though I have them perfectly adjusted now.

Aug 5, 2007 at 5:03 AM Post #10 of 27
Yeah the universal fit UEs can be a little difficult in terms of fit. Hmmmm, I'm a bit unfamiliar with the metal acts you mentioned. I have heard Pantera and Metalica on both the Etys and the UE's.........I'm thinking you would prefer the Ety's because they are clearer and the bass is more controlled though not as present. THe UE Super fi 5s have a bit too much bass for me personally, but its not muddy. Of all IEM brands, I think Ultimate ears make the best products. But for metal I'm thinking the Ety's would be very pleasing. Before you make any final decisions, look into the ER4P.......I know those are in a whole different ball park in terms of price (170 bucks), but those are pretty much the best non custom fit IEMs and theyre reasonably priced. However, the ER6i is very good for the money and etymotics has pretty much established themselves as the "kings of clarity" with regards to IEMs.

Aug 5, 2007 at 5:49 AM Post #11 of 27
ok dude thanks i think i'm going to make this purchase, btw, how long have you had your ety's and i hear ppl call them and ask them for diff. tips, does ety give these for free?

Aug 5, 2007 at 6:01 AM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok dude thanks i think i'm going to make this purchase, btw, how long have you had your ety's and i hear ppl call them and ask them for diff. tips, does ety give these for free?

I just bought my er6i, and they came with 1 pair each of triple-flanges, small and large size double-flanges, and beige foamies. You can buy replacements for any of these on ety's website. You can also use Shure's popular new "black olive" foamies with them, which I might be purchasing in the near future.

Aug 5, 2007 at 7:17 AM Post #14 of 27
do you like the er6i's umcloud?

Aug 5, 2007 at 8:26 AM Post #15 of 27
I do like them, but I'm not sure I can recommend them to you, since I've never heard the super.fi 3. As advertised, the clarity and detail is very good, and the bass is pretty lean, but accurate. I can say that for me, they are very comfortable with both the triple flanges and foamies (used them at a 10 hour shift at work yesterday with little fatigue), and they also isolate extremely well.

I was also considering the d-jays by JAYS, which I would suggest you take a look at as well. They supposedly have stronger bass than the etymotic, and more of an overall fun sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back