Would I be better off with a new iPod, or an amp?
Mar 14, 2007 at 11:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

SLCentral

Head-Fier
I've currently got Ultimate Ears UE-5c IEM's, and I'm very happy with them. I'm using them unamped from an iPod Mini, and while the quality isn't completely perfect, it is hard for me to find many complaints with it. However, in typical Head-Fi style, I'm looking for an upgrade. My iPod Mini has just filled up, so a new iPod would be a reasonable purcahse. Then again, for the same price, I could grab something like a Tomahawk. I've been reading that the new iPods do perform better then the Mini did with custom IEM's, and some people even say that with the new iPods, an amp makes little difference for the UE-5c.

So, would I be better off grabbing a new iPod, which should improve quality and give me more storage, or getting a Tomahawk?

Mar 14, 2007 at 11:19 PM Post #2 of 2

Mrvile

Headphoneus Supremus
Any added performance you gain from getting a new iPod is greatly overshadowed by the performance gains of any amp, even a cheap Govibe. I bet the difference between a new iPod and your Mini are largely unnoticeable.

However, since you do lack the extra space, upgrading to a full 30gb iPod might not be a bad idea. But I assure you that a Tomahawk will sound worlds better.

Users who are viewing this thread