Would I be able to hear the difference?
May 29, 2021 at 8:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 81

ultrarunner2018

100+ Head-Fier
I own a pair of ATH-M50X. I use them almost exclusively while listening to flac files (ripped from CD's or purchased on iTunes) on my Windows PC.
My audio device is a Behringer UMC202HD. I have Windows set up to drive it at 44.1KHz 16 bits.

My hearing runs up to about 15KHz.

I also have a Moto G7 Optimo Maxx phone which has a 3.5mm headphone jack. Occasionally I will plug the ATH-M50X into it.
I have recently switched from .ogg to .flac on the phone.

I'm really curious to know whether I would be able to hear the difference between the ATH and a pair of really expensive (wired) cans - say $1,000+.
And if so, what would the source of the music need to be? I have my doubts that 16 bits @ 44.1KHz will cut it.
My music of choice is classic Rock and Classical (Beethoven, Mozart, etc).

Thanks for your advice / suggestions

Ultrarunner

Last edited:
May 30, 2021 at 8:10 AM Post #2 of 81
That's CD quality, which is about at the limits of what humans can hear anyway, so yes the sound quality of your music is good enough to hear a difference with higher quality headphones. How much of a difference is hard to say, it may not be as big as you think or it may sound like a revelation, that's really subjective. Also, you would have trouble powering high end headphones from most smartphones and even your Berhinger might not do the job depending on the headphone.

May 30, 2021 at 8:24 AM Post #3 of 81
I'm really curious to know whether I would be able to hear the difference between the ATH and a pair of really expensive (wired) cans - say $1,000+.

With headphones, price =/= sound quality, even more so since your own anatomy and the headphones' design can affect the results. It's rather a question of trying to find a good match.

May 30, 2021 at 8:39 AM Post #4 of 81
And if so, what would the source of the music need to be? I have my doubts that 16 bits @ 44.1KHz will cut it.
My music of choice is classic Rock and Classical (Beethoven, Mozart, etc).
As others have said, increasing price does not guarantee better listening experience. More expensive headphones may be better technically, but what is more important in my honest opinion is to find what type of sonic characteristics you are after. I originally thought I want a lot of base, so went with Audeze. Months later, I thought I wanted soundstage and imagining, so I switched to Hifiman. My most recent sonic preference is resolution - so I am with Abyss. When I tried an TOTL electrostat, I did not enjoy it, yet others swear by it.

This is to say, that finding sonic representation you enjoy is more important than format, and if you properly amp a headphone, and provide it with enough detail, you can get excellent results. So audio format/resolution matters less in my opinion, I fail the most basic aac/mp3 vs alac/flac test, even on my 20k+ setup. Recording/mixing/mastering songs matter more than high res, in my personal experience. Also, systems synergy and what the headphone is good at will play a role, like I do not enjoy classical, but enjoy EDM, so I will have better experience listening to Deadmau5 on Youtube with V shaped headphone, than to Vivaldi in high res Qobuz with dead flat headphone, or hip/hop with mid centric headphone.

However, you tend to try and stick with best recording/format of said album you have access to, why wouldn't you. Some people & gear can extract the minute detail out of every recording, my ears can't. These are just my two cents.

May 30, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #6 of 81
It is a combination of things that add improvement. Your FLAC files are pretty much fine. Though in the right situation some believe they hear benefits form 96 kHz/24 bit. Still you probably shouldn’t concern your self with other files......yet?

I would look at things as a whole. I am familiar with UMC202HD, but have not heard it. Very familiar with PC audio/ITunes. What maybe to start would be getting Foobar2000. That should get you better sound right off, in WASPI mode. Then try some headphones. I have the M50s. You will start to learn maybe what style of sound you like more. Meaning there is many directions you can go. Maybe start with some form of Schiit stack and HD600s or HD650s. Maybe .......as I trend to look at whole systems as an improvement. Of course you could spend $1000 on a single headphone, but generally improvements are from whole systems?

Last edited:
May 30, 2021 at 8:45 AM Post #8 of 81
Of course you could spend $1000 on a single headphone, but generally improvements are from whole systems?
Balance and system synergy, you can go with recommendation of others, but there is no substitute in trying to see what works for you.

May 30, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #9 of 81
Balance and system synergy, you can go with recommendation of others, but there is no substitute in trying to see what works for you.
I hate recommending stuff I haven’t heard. But the Schiit Magni could be hooked up to the back of his Behringer UMC202HD, then he just listen to a couple headphones till he finds his sound? Definitely get Foobar2000 in WASPI mode.

I have the Asgard and it’s great.

Last edited:
May 30, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #10 of 81
I hate recommending stuff I haven’t heard. But the Schiit Modi could be hooked up to the back of his Behringer UMC202HD, then just listen to a couple headphones till he finds his sound?
I owned Schiit Modi (the multibit version, which costs 2.5x base Modi) and I really did not like it. When comparing DACs at this level, I would rather go with DragonFly, which you could get under $100.

May 30, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #11 of 81
I owned Schiit Modi (the multibit version, which costs 2.5x base Modi) and I really did not like it. When comparing DACs at this level, I would rather go with DragonFly, which you could get under $100.
Sorry I meant Magni, still using his DAC, for starters. Typically the headphone amp in those interfaces is weak. Though, I haven’t heard his.

Here is Foobar2000.
https://www.foobar2000.org/download

Last edited:
May 30, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #12 of 81
Sorry I meant Magni, still using his DAC.
Schiit makes some powerful amps (and well priced), that's true. I think you can't go wrong buying from Schiit, if you don't like them, you move on, if you like them, you keep upgrading in their product lineup as your wallet allows (and your ears hear).

May 30, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #13 of 81
Schiit makes some powerful amps (and well priced), that's true. I think you can't go wrong buying from Schiit, if you don't like them, you move on, if you like them, you keep upgrading in their product lineup as your wallet allows (and your ears hear).
Yes, he needs still to find his sound signature? It could be with HD600/HD650....or who knows? There is so much good stuff now?

May 30, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #14 of 81
Yes, he needs still to find his sound signature? It could be with HD600/HD650....or who knows? There is so much good stuff now?
I would recommend starting with a used pair of something, or buy discounted via drop.com, especially if you know you will try/re-sell fast. Perhaps a good idea would be to compile a list of known headphones that are good at one attribute only (like fast PRaT, lush mids, airy highs) so that he knows/hears the stark difference between different "types" of sonic characteristics, before making a choice on what's best suited for him.

May 30, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #15 of 81
See if you can get loaners of various expensive headphones/gear you are interested in. Doesn't matter what others tell you on what you'd experience. In the end, only what you actually perceive really matters.

That's how people ultimately find out, by trying equipment. There's a lot of people with long trader history of various gears for this reason.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back