Would Evander Holyfield, Mike Tyson, George Foreman, Ali, ... annihilate the best UFC fighters of all time?
Oct 13, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #16 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Singapura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In MA size doesn't matter much. I've seen giant German brawlers go down against tiny Thai Muay Thai fighters. The guy just jumped up and kicked the German under the chin. Game over. The real question here is: what would Chuck Norris do?
smily_headphones1.gif

If you watched the Lesner v. Herring fight...I am not sure if you can say size doesn't matter. Both are heavyweights but Lesner clearly dominated because of 1) a huge opening punch 2) control on the ground because of his gargantuan size. I guess this is the debate haha.

Oct 13, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #17 of 41
ha ha you fools.............a straight boxer would be easily subbed in 1st round

I remember when UFC first started: no gloves, no weight classes etc everyone assumed the strikers would rule the day and Gracie family came in with Brazilian Ju Juitsu and dominated all other fighters for years till others adapted and completely changed thier style.

Gracies changed everyones thinking of what it takes to be the ultimate fighter today and what skills are needed to be a completely balanced fighter

Tyson, Foreman, Holyfield et al..........easily subbed in 1 round by Fedor

Oct 13, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #19 of 41
Just watch early UFC, the ground fighters ruled over the multi-degree blackbelts of various stand-up based martial arts. It wasn't really even close either. 6 months isn't enough to stop a guy that has been training in BJJ for 10-20 years. Only shot a classic boxer would have is to land a KO punch as the opponent is shooting for the take down.

Oct 13, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #20 of 41
It depends, I will put my money on power punchers like Tyson and Foreman in their best form. If you have seen their matches these kind of heavy weight boxers only need one decent punch to stun their opponents and follow up a KO. I don't see a UFC fighter that can withstand a half decent punch that connects from them and don't forget the speed and precision either, it has nothing to do with the ones they have experienced in their careers. Most of Tyson KO in the 80s were under 3 rounds.

Boxers like Ali are masters at their arts, keeping distance with their opponents, using the space of the ring with their footwork, patient and precise when there is an opening. They would have great difficulties with UFC fighters.

As of who is the more complete athlete? I would have to go with boxers, their roadwork and weight managements are crazy. They have to be powerful and yet have enough stamina to last 12 rounds while UFC training is more power based.

Oct 13, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #21 of 41
as a counter point - using all the official boxing rules and regulations, would any UFC fighter last long against one of the heavyweight boxers? Obviously kimbo wouldn't
smily_headphones1.gif
Would any other?

Oct 13, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #23 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamP88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The fight would be over by submission hold in the first round. They wouldn't stand a chance.

Well said. Boxers are simply good punchers with good footwork. MMA fighters are well versed in wrestling, submissions, and strikes from all points. I'd be surprised if a boxer beat an MMA fighter one out of ten times. If Mayweather would have fought Sean Sherk this could be easily proven, but chances are Mayweather knows how terribly bad he'd be destroyed, likely within half a minute. *Bell sounds* *Sherk takedown* *Submission by whatever Sherk wants*

Oct 13, 2008 at 4:15 AM Post #24 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
as a counter point - using all the official boxing rules and regulations, would any UFC fighter last long against one of the heavyweight boxers? Obviously kimbo wouldn't
smily_headphones1.gif
Would any other?

Likely not. Boxers would win a boxing match more often than not.

Oct 13, 2008 at 7:26 AM Post #26 of 41
A boxer stands little to no chance of winning in a MMA fight. A MMA fighter wouldn't keep the fight standing up any longer than it takes to dive in and take the boxer down. On the ground, a boxer has zero chance of doing anything other than tapping out.

What most people aren't considering is how hard it is to land a clean punch, which is the only real chance a boxer would have, when someone is attempting to take you down. Given the severe disadvantage a boxer has on the ground, a MMA would be stupid to stand toe to toe for even a few moments. A quick rush in, a grapple and takedown, and the fight is effectively over. A boxer would have to land an nearly perfect shot on a charging MMA to KO him, which isn't very easy to do.

To answer craiglester's question, reversing the situation, an MMA fighter has an almost equally zero chance of winning a boxing match against any elite boxer. The key here is an "elite" boxer, as there are many fighters on the second and lower rungs of the sport that simply aren't that good and could possibly be beaten by a MMA with some modest punching skill. All of the people mentioned in this thread would KO an MMA inside of the first round, second at the very best.

AdamCalifornia, please stop insulting the MMA world by using Kimbo Slice as an example of a MMA. He is a putrid, ridiculous joke.

Oct 13, 2008 at 7:32 AM Post #27 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anderson Silva?

Anderson Silva's punching skill is phenomenal in the MMA world, but you'd be surpised when he can't fall back on anything aside from his fists how limited he might actually be. What makes his punching skill highly effective is the constant threat of kicks, knees, elbows and being taken down and submitted. Different ballgame when you strip him of all those other threats. He more than likely wouldn't be able to land an effective punch and his defense would probably be lacking. No telling how his chin would stand up to the punches of highly skilled boxer either.

Oct 13, 2008 at 1:30 PM Post #30 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ha ha you fools.............a straight boxer would be easily subbed in 1st round

I remember when UFC first started: no gloves, no weight classes etc everyone assumed the strikers would rule the day and Gracie family came in with Brazilian Ju Juitsu and dominated all other fighters for years till others adapted and completely changed thier style.

Gracies changed everyones thinking of what it takes to be the ultimate fighter today and what skills are needed to be a completely balanced fighter

Tyson, Foreman, Holyfield et al..........easily subbed in 1 round by Fedor

Totally agreed. Ufc guys also know how to punch, and HARD. And kick too. HARD. You can kick from further than you can punch, imo boxers dont stand a chance concidering the submissions etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back