Would etymotic headphones offer sufficient noise isolation for gunshots?
Aug 18, 2013 at 8:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

wafflezz

100+ Head-Fier
Is the passive noise isolation enough to protect against the decibel spikes while firing a handgun/rifle?
I was thinking of maybe just getting the ek5 which are extremely cheap(not to mention accurate sounding) and maybe that would work so I don't have to borrow those giant earmuffs at the range.

Aug 19, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #2 of 6
You want at least -20dB for shooting and the EK5 only provide -18dB so it is pretty close to what you want.  If they do not seal properly or start to loosen during a shooting session you are going to put your ears at risk.  As long as the fit is snug you should be fine with the EK5.

Earmuffs definitely provide more comfort for some people because they do not irritate the ear canal.

Here is some more information:

http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/resources/shooting-earmuffs-selection-guide.php

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/EtymoticEK5.pdf

When in doubt you can throw an earmuff on top of the EK5s to get the best protection.  I cannot emphasize enough protecting your hearing especially while shooting guns.  Talk to many gun enthusiasts and the ones who do not utilize hearing protecting all have some if not major hearing loss.

Aug 20, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #3 of 6
Thanks. Ya I think the Etys should hold up well. On average it seems they have -35 decibels and at only one tiny point in their isolation range does it dip below 20. 

EDIT-Man I took a bit of a closer look at these measurements...it's almost ludicrous how accurate they are.
How can anyone not enjoy this sound? I guess they might be more congested since they're an IEM but dang dude. These rip apart all my other cheap earbuds on paper(some were actually more expensive)

Aug 20, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
EDIT-Man I took a bit of a closer look at these measurements...it's almost ludicrous how accurate they are.
How can anyone not enjoy this sound? I guess they might be more congested since they're an IEM but dang dude. These rip apart all my other cheap earbuds on paper(some were actually more expensive)

Olive, Welti published a paper called "Listener Preferences for Different Headphone Target Response Curves". Their target curve drops about -1 dB per octave (doubling of frequency).

In other words: it probably sounds too bright.

Aug 30, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #6 of 6
Ok so I just got these. No burn in, and wow! They are actually pretty darn nice. They definitely isolate A LOT. Enough to where normal speech is just a whisper. Should be enough for almost anything. The comfort is a little iffy but of course I'm not used to such a deep seal. Also it is kinda difficult to get a "proper" seal because I don't really know if I have it or not. But they do sound incredibly neutral and do have adequate bass(on the light side) so I'm guessing I'm good.

For 20$ this is just an amazing deal. This blows away all other IEMs I have in accuracy. I'm hearing things I even struggle to with the hd650s.
Quote:
Olive, Welti published a paper called "Listener Preferences for Different Headphone Target Response Curves". Their target curve drops about -1 dB per octave (doubling of frequency).

In other words: it probably sounds too bright.

Anything that comes even remotely close to the Olive Welti curve, at this price point is amazing imo. I planned on using these just as earplugs (having the added benefit of playing music, not caring about SQ) but they're much more than that.

EDIT-Ok going back on topic. These should offer enough isolation but I really need to get replacement tips because on of the foams already came loose. By far the most comfy are the default small tri-flange but those have the least noise protection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back