Would anyone like a review?
Jul 16, 2002 at 11:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Duncan

Headphoneus Supremus
I'll give this thread 24 hours, and decide from there what (if anything to do)... but, for terms of comparison, would anyone like me to review any of my 'gear' for them?

I'd ideally like to do just one (A/B comparison) review... if this takes off, and the equipment up for contention...

Source (requiring amp):

Marantz CD63SE & Cambridge Audio S700 DAC
Sony D-EJ1000 PCDP

Source (no amp):

Sony D-E905 / D777 PCDPs

Amp:

JMT CHA47
JMT META42
Musical Fidelity X-Can V2

Headphones:

Sennheiser HD580
Sony MDR-V6
Etymotic ER4P

Musical choice:

Up to you, as long as its a genre that I have
wink.gif

I think you can pretty much mix and match to your hearts content there, so if anyone would like a review (or two) place your nominations below...

This is purely on a trial basis, and if this doesn't take off, i'll delete this post 24 hours from now, but... its worth a try
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 16, 2002 at 11:42 PM Post #2 of 20
I'd like to see a square off of the cha47 and meta 42. I wish you had audio technic phones to use, but if you could kinda sample all three phones to see how they perform on different systems. I'd like to see you do it with classical and rock music.

This is a pretty cool idea. I wish people that had a huge collection of gear could do this too.

Jul 17, 2002 at 12:24 AM Post #3 of 20
I wouldn't mind seeing a meta42 and Musical fidelity Xcan v2 comparison review. I would also be interested in your thoughts regarding the Cambridge Audio DAC.

Thanks

Jul 17, 2002 at 12:36 AM Post #4 of 20
Yes the er-4p V senn. 580. In order to get the 580s near max you will have to use a good amp and decent source but then put the er-4p on and who wins.

Jul 17, 2002 at 5:12 AM Post #7 of 20
I would really like you to compare your CHA47 and META42 FROM the Sony d-ej1000. Like, we know the META is going to sound better, but we want to know the nitty gritty stuff, the details, and the bang for buck value (without stating JMT's donations price to respect his privacy
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Also, just one question here: what enclosure is your META42 in?

Jul 17, 2002 at 5:18 AM Post #8 of 20
Oooh, this happened a bit better than I anticipated...
biggrin.gif

Looks like the META is heading for a shootout with... something, i'll see by the end of the day how that goes, and... now I know that there are people that are interested, knock up some (hopefully) good quality reading by the weekend
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, and Jlo, JMT did tell me its proper name, but I can't remember now, so, its the blue, see through plastic version...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 17, 2002 at 9:59 AM Post #9 of 20
Ooo, isn't that Cambridge Audio Dac the one that's built into it's own isolation platform? I'd like to hear about that puhleez, especially as to how it improves the Marantz!
Andrew

Jul 18, 2002 at 1:25 AM Post #11 of 20
yeah could you try portable setup vs. the amps you have? maybe if you have time, you could tell us how the meta42 scales with a better source, like your marantz player. And maybe a contrast of your unamped marantz vs. amped.

Jul 18, 2002 at 1:52 AM Post #12 of 20
Duncan
HI: I just did an a/b on my main rig with the 580s and the er-4p and the 580s killed the er-4p in every way. I really hope you do this test so I can get your opinion on this issue. I have great respeck on your opinion so please do this test in case I am going deaf or crazy.

Jul 18, 2002 at 3:19 AM Post #13 of 20
Duncan:

How about the V6 vs ER4P? I have the V6, MS1, KCS35 already and I think my next upgrade would be one of the ER's and I'll stay away from senns instead.
wink.gif

I also second the meta42 vs cha47

Users who are viewing this thread

Back