Would a DAC do anything for me?
Feb 6, 2014 at 2:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Stanfoo

100+ Head-Fier
Hello. Here is my situation. I am using the RS220 wireless headphones to watch movies on my TV. It is connected like so: TV's audio optical toslink output connected to my headphones base transmitter optical input.

However if I were to get a DAC (to increase sound quality?) it would be connected like so: TV's audio optical toslink output connected to DAC's optical input, DAC's RCA output connected to headphone's base transmitter.

So would using a DAC increase sound quality for me? For example if I use the Audioengine D1 DAC.

Feb 8, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #2 of 4
Replacing a DAC can do a few things to improve the sound of any system.  The first is noise reduction.  Does your current system sound noisy with the volume up to 70% with nothing playing?  Do you hear buzzing or other audible anomalies?  If so then a better DAC may improve the sound.  The second thing a DAC can do is provide a better representation of the original signal by lowing jitter.  Most modern DAC units do not suffer from the severe jitter problems of older DACs so this is probably not a big issue for you.

The way you have described the connections sounds good.

Dig around a bit and read the reviews of the Audioengine D1 DAC and see if others have noted improvements, but I imagine a standalone DAC will do its job better than a build-in unit found in your receive or TV.

Feb 8, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #3 of 4
I would say no. the biggest limitation with the RS220 is the FM radio frequency they use to transmit the sound from the base station to your headphones. Even if you use a high quality DAC that signal will still be degraded back to FM quality to transmit. 

Feb 9, 2014 at 3:17 AM Post #4 of 4
  Hello. Here is my situation. I am using the RS220 wireless headphones to watch movies on my TV. It is connected like so: TV's audio optical toslink output connected to my headphones base transmitter optical input.
However if I were to get a DAC (to increase sound quality?) it would be connected like so: TV's audio optical Toslink output connected to DAC's optical input, DAC's RCA output connected to headphone's base transmitter.
So would using a DAC increase sound quality for me? For example if I use the Audioengine D1 DAC.

From my understanding, the RS220 transmits a digital signal to the headphones, so whatever analog audio signal you feed into the RS220 base unit, it's going to be converted from analog signal to digital signal,
before the audio signal is sent to the headphones, and the headphones would use whatever built in DAC they have.
So the DAC chip in the headphone is really what sets the audio quality, no matter what DAC you use before it.
So I would assume you want to keep the audio signal as digital, from the source and into the digital input at the RS220's base.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back