Would a custom copper cable for my HE500 tame treble a fair amount?
Jun 26, 2015 at 8:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

illitirit

Head-Fier
Ive been using an HE500 with its stock silver cable for a few weeks now and have noticed the treble being a bit too much for me.

I was curious if i purchased a full copper cable, would this help with treble?

I have messed around with equalizer settings but for some reason it still sounds a bit piercing to my ears.  I have lowered the 8khz - 20khz about 3-4 dB.  Any more than that, it seems to make the headphone just sound bad.

The HE500 are powered from a modi 2 uber and magni 2 uber.

I absolutely love the bass and midrange, its just the treble right now thats bothering me.

I have heard that copper cables help with taming treble, is this true?  Can anyone actually attest to this?  I dont want to spend 100$+ on a custom cable only to have buyers remorse because it didnt change anything.

If in fact a copper cable will help, recommendations would help alot as I know nothing about what brands are good / bad.  

Thank you for your responses!

Jun 27, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #3 of 3

I have messed around with equalizer settings but for some reason it still sounds a bit piercing to my ears.  I have lowered the 8khz - 20khz about 3-4 dB.  Any more than that, it seems to make the headphone just sound bad.

What exact settings did you use? The peak on the HE500 is centered at 9khz; at 8khz it's level with 1khz, and past 9khz it has a dip centered at 10.5khz then another peak at 11.5khz. Adjusting everything like that can mean that you basically just shifted the whole range down, thereby affecting the balance overall, but you didn't actually tame the peak since you made the dip worse.

What you need is a narrow Q adjustment that will affect a very narrow range centered at 9khz. Try a parametric EQ that can have a setting of the center freq at 9khz, with a Q-factor of around 1.4 to 2.0, then apply a -4dB cut. Maybe have another band do the same at 11.5khz. If your DAC works with iOS or Android, try NeutronMP on either platform and use it via USB into the DAC as it has a parametric EQ. Or if you're on iOS try the GoldenEars app (note: really crappy interface; Neutron at worst just has an acclimatization period on Android since it doesn't use the "Back" button the same way as other players) if they have the HE500 on file and select the correction profile to "Flat" (note that their customized profile will affect the entire range, not just the peaks being tamed).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back