Worthy opposite of Grado 325e
Feb 17, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #31 of 49
  That is the common perception of the HD650...but I did not find that to be the case at all....with the right chain it is a great can....just not a lot of air up top....I sure would not call them veiled or un- dynamic at all.

They're significantly slower than the HD600. I feel rather the HD650 are rather "lifeless" on tracks like Only If for a Night (Florence + The Machine). They're too laid back, it's feel like they drag the song down, especially in comparison to the Grados. On the other hands, I like the HD650 on slow, jazz-y Vocal tracks. 

Feb 17, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #32 of 49
  They're significantly slower than the HD600. I feel rather the HD650 are rather "lifeless" on tracks like Only If for a Night (Florence + The Machine). They're too laid back, it's feel like they drag the song down, especially in comparison to the Grados. On the other hands, I like the HD650 on slow, jazz-y Vocal tracks. 

Part of the reason why I think some people have so many different headphones is that they can swap out to their favorite pair when listening to a particular genre or just in a mood.  Me, I'm just curious. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 17, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #33 of 49
Ultimately, you're going to end up with 3-4 different headphones. I think its basically inevitable, once you've got a couple of amps, you'll have a couple of phones, etc.

The question is what you want next. You mentioned a pretty large budget. You could get used TH-600s or used HD700s in that range.

AKG headphones are enormously comfortable unless they have that bumpy headband. The Senns are sort of legendary standards.

I was recently in a similar position - wanted a closed contrast to my AKGs. I went with the Focal Spirit Professional and I'm totally happy. Do I still plan to buy a pair of HD600/650s? Or Beyers? Or something from Audeze, Oppo, Audioquest, Hifiman, etc? Yes Yes Yes.

If it was me, and I wanted to maximize the budget, I'd go for used Fostex TH-600s or maybe a used pair of Denon 2000s, 5000s, etc.

Feb 18, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #34 of 49
I just finished listening to some stuff with my HD600s.  Fantastic as always!  So what are you leaning toward now?  I'd say you can't go wrong with HD600/650s.  As dmort said before, you're probably going to want to AT LEAST try them eventually.  You know you want to!

Feb 18, 2015 at 2:38 AM Post #35 of 49
  Part of the reason why I think some people have so many different headphones is that they can swap out to their favorite pair when listening to a particular genre or just in a mood.  Me, I'm just curious. 
biggrin.gif

To me it's obvious that one single pair cannot satisfy all the genres I listen to. Hell, even with Metal alone, Symphonic Metal requires something different from Death Metal.

IF my budget is not limit, I'd collect all the famous cans from Sennheiser, AKG and AT. It seems to be some sort of mental conditions that most head-fiers are subject to. 

Feb 18, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #36 of 49
  To me it's obvious that one single pair cannot satisfy all the genres I listen to. Hell, even with Metal alone, Symphonic Metal requires something different from Death Metal.

IF my budget is not limit, I'd collect all the famous cans from Sennheiser, AKG and AT. It seems to be some sort of mental conditions that most head-fiers are subject to. 

Lol on that account.  I would probably save a lot of time by simply subscribing to that and buying up all the usual suspects - HD600/650, K701/7xx, D2000, DT880, etc. 
biggrin.gif

I'm just a budding headphone enthusiast trying to settle on a second set to compliment the 325e sound.

Feb 18, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #37 of 49
I own both the 325e and MS2e. I would say the exact opposite to both will be the Sony MDR-MA900.

Feb 19, 2015 at 1:27 AM Post #38 of 49
  Lol on that account.  I would probably save a lot of time by simply subscribing to that and buying up all the usual suspects - HD600/650, K701/7xx, D2000, DT880, etc.  
biggrin.gif

I'm just a budding headphone enthusiast trying to settle on a second set to compliment the 325e sound.

The thing I forgot to ask is, on what genres do you find the 325e inadequate? Sure the 325e is lackluster in a lot of genres, but then it may be the case that you don't listen to those at all.
Quote:
  I own both the 325e and MS2e. I would say the exact opposite to both will be the Sony MDR-MA900.

If I'm not wrong you have had the 325e and the MS2e for a couple of months and they're both burnt-in? How are the two compared to each other now?

Feb 19, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #39 of 49
  If I'm not wrong you have had the 325e and the MS2e for a couple of months and they're both burnt-in? How are the two compared to each other now?

I can't really do direct comparison as my 325e is in my office, my MS2e is at home. With more burn-in the MS2e sounds with more dynamic (closer to 325e). I like the MS2e a bit more for the type of music I am listen to. The MS2e is smoother and with more sound stage depth compare to the 325e.

The 325e is probably the most dynamic sounding headphone I have ever listen to. Guitar riff is and Trumpet sound so realistic with the SR325. However, I find the great dynamic was achieved with the under dampened driver diaphragms, which does not handle complex music message as good as the MS2e

Feb 19, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #40 of 49

I can't really do direct comparison as my 325e is in my office, my MS2e is at home. With more burn-in the MS2e sounds with more dynamic (closer to 325e). I like the MS2e a bit more for the type of music I am listen to. The MS2e is smoother and with more sound stage depth compare to the 325e.

The 325e is probably the most dynamic sounding headphone I have ever listen to. Guitar riff is and Trumpet sound so realistic with the SR325. However, I find the great dynamic was achieved with the under dampened driver diaphragms, which does not handle complex music message as good as the MS2e

The difference is the same as 325is vs MS2i then. Nothing can beat the 325 on guitar riffs, trumpet and saxophones. 

Feb 20, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #41 of 49

The thing I forgot to ask is, on what genres do you find the 325e inadequate? Sure the 325e is lackluster in a lot of genres, but then it may be the case that you don't listen to those at all.

Oh not at all inadequate.  I think the 325e sound really good in anything I throw at it.  Old rock like Floyd, Jethro Tull, etc, to Phantogram.  Everything in between.  
biggrin.gif
  I would include the standard fare music - pretty much anything goes.

I currently have only two other headphones to compare to and the old comfy Sony MDR-XD200 sound like cardboard cups with a sock stuffed in it in comparison to the 325e.  MA750i in-ears have its own very exciting sound, how IEMs can be.  Still, the Grado ultimately is more fun to listen to and has better resolution in that I can clearly hear textures in the instruments.  It just sounds so damn good.  But with so few other headphones I've had to compare to, I'm too curious to not get another set.
  I just finished listening to some stuff with my HD600s.  Fantastic as always!  So what are you leaning toward now?  I'd say you can't go wrong with HD600/650s.  As dmort said before, you're probably going to want to AT LEAST try them eventually.  You know you want to!

That is definitely the direction I'm leaning.  HD650 seems to check all the boxes for me, except the part about being a closed back.  Still, those Senns have such a universal appeal, I can't help but put them at the top of my list.

Feb 20, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #43 of 49
  Oh not at all inadequate.  I think the 325e sound really good in anything I throw at it.  Old rock like Floyd, Jethro Tull, etc, to Phantogram.  Everything in between.  
biggrin.gif
  I would include the standard fare music - pretty much anything goes.

I currently have only two other headphones to compare to and the old comfy Sony MDR-XD200 sound like cardboard cups with a sock stuffed in it in comparison to the 325e.  MA750i in-ears have its own very exciting sound, how IEMs can be.  Still, the Grado ultimately is more fun to listen to and has better resolution in that I can clearly hear textures in the instruments.  It just sounds so damn good.  But with so few other headphones I've had to compare to, I'm too curious to not get another set.
That is definitely the direction I'm leaning.  HD650 seems to check all the boxes for me, except the part about being a closed back.  Still, those Senns have such a universal appeal, I can't help but put them at the top of my list.

With regards to the HD650: Just make sure you get the newest release. The ones people refer to as white drivers. They are said to be less veiled, and I heard a noticeable difference between the variations. In fact, the ones after September 2014 even have a different box and photo on them. Good indication that it's a newest released one.

Mar 9, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #44 of 49
I placed an order for the HD600.  I rationalized going with the 600 instead of the 650 because after listening to the gorgeous sound of the 325e, I wanted an industry standard, a neutral reference style headphones rather than another colored set, like the 650.  I think there's a method to my madness. 

The new HD600's hopefully are in before the weekend.

Mar 9, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #45 of 49
I placed an order for the HD600.  I rationalized going with the 600 instead of the 650 because after listening to the gorgeous sound of the 325e, I wanted an industry standard, a neutral reference style headphones rather than another colored set, like the 650.  I think there's a method to my madness. 

The new HD600's hopefully are in before the weekend.

You won't be disappointed!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back