Worthy opposite of Grado 325e
Feb 14, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #16 of 49
  Seems Grados and Senns are natural enemies!  Maybe I'm reading more into it but Tyll at Innerfidelity is a Sennheiser advocate and hates Grado.  I sometimes wonder if its the sound or the brand that is at opposition.  
tongue.gif

I'm poking a little fun.  Everything I've read agrees that Grado's are bright while Senn 600/650's are more subdued.

It's a shame that people always make it a Grado v Sennhesier competition because both companies make such great products. I've actually listened to the 325s, HD600s and 650s back to back. Both Sennheisers exude a smooth, laid back vibe. If I were to compare them to a woman, I'd compare them to a beautiful one. One who is charming and seductive but lacking in real depth. Sure, you want to be with her. Sure, she's smooth. Sure, you could listen to her for hours…just don't expect any nuance to what she has to say. 

Feb 14, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #18 of 49
  Seems Grados and Senns are natural enemies!  Maybe I'm reading more into it but Tyll at Innerfidelity is a Sennheiser advocate and hates Grado.  I sometimes wonder if its the sound or the brand that is at opposition.  
tongue.gif

I'm poking a little fun.  Everything I've read agrees that Grado's are bright while Senn 600/650's are more subdued.

I'm as much of a Grado fanboy as anyone can be, but I don't hate Sennheiser. Honestly I think hating on products, in any field, is rather stupid. Think Android vs iOS. Mac vs Windows. As consumers we're entitled to buying anything we like, right? I owned the HD558 and HD598, never regretted it a bit.  The HD650 was on my wishlist for years. Unfortunately the price reached its lowest when I was broke and now that my budget is ok, people (in VN) pumped up the price again.

Can't agree more with @whirlwind, @DarthFader  and @adtrance  on the HD650 complimenting the Grados, especially RS1. If my Senn-fanboy-ness was as serious as my Grado-fanboy-ness, I'd own the HD650, HD600 and some Sennheiser wireless gaming headset as well. 

Feb 15, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #19 of 49
I get brand loyalty or at least a preference regardless of performance differences.  Like Porsche or Ferrari, Denon or Onkyo, and for headphones, it seems Grado or Sennheiser.  My only lengthy experience with good headphones were my original Grado 60 that I picked up on the side when I purchased my first nice home theater setup based on the sales guy recommendation.  I remember how much I liked the sound back then so naturally picked up where I left off and moved up the Grado line a bit.

The NAD HP50 & PSB M4U headphones are definite contenders since they are closed back sets with great reputation.  

Feb 15, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #20 of 49
NAD HP50 and PSB M4U are certainly recommendable if you want to go closed. The V-Moda M-100 has too much of a V-signature to be a contender in my opinion. Maybe also have a look into the Shure SRH-1540.

Feb 15, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #21 of 49

It's a shame that people always make it a Grado v Sennhesier competition because both companies make such great products. I've actually listened to the 325s, HD600s and 650s back to back. Both Sennheisers exude a smooth, laid back vibe. If I were to compare them to a woman, I'd compare them to a beautiful one. One who is charming and seductive but lacking in real depth. Sure, you want to be with her. Sure, she's smooth. Sure, you could listen to her for hours…just don't expect any nuance to what she has to say. 

Senn 600/650 is a beautiful, charming woman, then which would the Grado be?

popcorn.gif

Feb 15, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #22 of 49
The 325 would be like a double shot of Jack Daniels.....the HD650 more like a glass of fine wine      

Both get the job done....just in a different manner.     
beerchug.gif

Feb 15, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #23 of 49
I like that!

I'm more a whiskey guy but I enjoy a glass of good wine when the occasion calls for it.  

Feb 15, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #24 of 49
  Senn 600/650 is a beautiful, charming woman, then which would the Grado be?

popcorn.gif

The Grado is an exotic, striking woman. She's sophisticated and wicked smart. She's beautiful too but not to everyone's taste. She's detailed-oriented. She doesn't suffer fools but if you give her an honest chance, she'll return the favor tenfold. She's not all about that bass and so Meghan Trainor would NOT approve of her.

I also like the alcohol similes, though.

Feb 16, 2015 at 1:15 AM Post #26 of 49
No brand loyalty here.  Grados are far from perfect and there are a few underachievers in the lineup.  Same goes for Senn, but more underachievers.  I have a few of each.  The OP just wanted a recommendation on something the opposite of the 325e.  The HD650 really fits the bill as it is veiled, slow and un-dynamic.  Ultimately there is nothing wrong with anybody who chooses to hear music that way.  And there is nothing wrong with guys that like women that way too.  Their money and their life so no argument here.  

Feb 16, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #28 of 49
  No brand loyalty here.  Grados are far from perfect and there are a few underachievers in the lineup.  Same goes for Senn, but more underachievers.  I have a few of each.  The OP just wanted a recommendation on something the opposite of the 325e.  The HD650 really fits the bill as it is veiled, slow and un-dynamic.  Ultimately there is nothing wrong with anybody who chooses to hear music that way.  And there is nothing wrong with guys that like women that way too.  Their money and their life so no argument here.  

It's not that I'm looking for a veiled, slow, and un-dynamic pair of headphones.  I understand that's the common perception of the HD650's tho.  Just like the 325 series are the screaming banshees of the headphone world (which I don't agree with, at least not with my 325e).

Feb 16, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #29 of 49

It's not that I'm looking for a veiled, slow, and un-dynamic pair of headphones.  I understand that's the common perception of the HD650's tho.  Just like the 325 series are the screaming banshees of the headphone world (which I don't agree with, at least not with my 325e).

That is the common perception of the HD650...but I did not find that to be the case at all....with the right chain it is a great can....just not a lot of air up top....I sure would not call them veiled or un- dynamic at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back