Worthy opposite of Grado 325e
Feb 13, 2015 at 12:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

adtrance

100+ Head-Fier
Hello Head Fi!

I'm looking to try opposing sound signatures from my new 325e and get a decent idea of the spread of sound that is available.  

Not so much vertically (SR325e to PS1000) but more to broaden my horizons with the great many sounds that are out there.

It isn't that I'm looking for more bass or less treble, but closed headphones that give me an opposite point where most other headphones fall somewhere in between. Seems like MrSpeakers or closed Beyers are a natural choice.  

I'd like to keep it under $600 and my amplification comes from either a rolled Little Dot 1+ or a Meier Corda Jazz (on its way).

Thoughts?

Feb 13, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #2 of 49
Hello Head Fi!

I'm looking to try opposing sound signatures from my new 325e and get a decent idea of the spread of sound that is available.  

Not so much vertically (SR325e to PS1000) but more to broaden my horizons with the great many sounds that are out there.

It isn't that I'm looking for more bass or less treble, but closed headphones that give me an opposite point where most other headphones fall somewhere in between. Seems like MrSpeakers or closed Beyers are a natural choice.  

I'd like to keep it under $600 and my amplification comes from either a rolled Little Dot 1+ or a Meier Corda Jazz (on its way).

Thoughts?

HD-600/650

Feb 13, 2015 at 1:47 AM Post #3 of 49
HD-600/650

Default answer!  True but it looks like you're looking for something closed.  

I've recently got some Soundmagic HP150s that are really great, but I'd say they're very neutral.  Not exactly the opposite of your Grados but probably somewhere in the middle.  They're also way below budget for you, but I have zero experience with closed headphones in that price range.  I've heard good things about the Fostex TH-600.

Feb 13, 2015 at 4:01 AM Post #4 of 49
HD-600/650

This.  Inasmuch as the 325e (which I happen to own) strays from the pure "Grado sound", it still is a complete opposite of the HD650.  The obvious difference is in frequency response; yin vs yang.  But the bigger difference is how the Grado sounds alive, like nothing is holding it back; the music ebbs and flows effortlessly, whereas the Senn sucks the life out of the music and holds it back; think alive vs dead.

Feb 13, 2015 at 5:02 AM Post #5 of 49
HD650 fits the bill....except they are open cans.

Feb 13, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #6 of 49
The 650's are a very interesting pair with plenty of supportive fans no doubt.  Almost like Grados, they also seem to have a love-hate relationship amongst current and previous owners.  I would pick this pair up, except my first choice would be to go with a closed set.  Probably just leaving it too wide open for interpretation tho - I mean, if everyone says the HD650 IS the worthy opposite to 325e, then why ignore everyone's advice and go with something else?

I'm interested in hearing what people say about the topic.

Feb 13, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #7 of 49
I own the HD600 and the Alessansro MS-2, the "e" version that is based of the 325e. They are pretty different sounding headphones. I have yet to A-B them but if I had to list some general observations I would describe the Sennheiser to be more neutral with better instrument separation, soundstage is bigger for sure, and they have a little more grunt in the low end. The Alessansro is more about the mids and I feel more like I'm at a bar show than a big venue. Great for rock and guitar stuff. The HD650 is supposed to have enhanced bass presence and a little less treble presence than the HD600 but I have not personally listened to the HD650.

Feb 13, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #8 of 49
That MS2 was definitely on my mind when I ordered the 325e.  I hope you're enjoying yours as much as I am mine. 
biggrin.gif

Do you have a preference between the two or is it more a matter of what you're in the mood for at that time?

Feb 13, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #9 of 49
That MS2 was definitely on my mind when I ordered the 325e.  I hope you're enjoying yours as much as I am mine.  :D

Do you have a preference between the two or is it more a matter of what you're in the mood for at that time?

I think the Sennheiser is a better overall headphone but the MS-2 is addictive to listen to and sounds great in its own way. My first set of good headphones was the SR-80i and the Alessandro brings out what I liked about them but without the "fatigue" if you know what I mean. They're more refined and I am definitely enjoying them immensely! I almost went with the 325e but they weren't on sale on Amazon at the time and then decided to go with the MS-2.

To directly answer your question, its more of a mood thing to me. I like both headphones and the Senns are going to be more laid-back than the Grados for sure.

Feb 13, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #10 of 49
I might need to rethink my angle and not specifically limit myself to closed headphones, at the advice of many.

HD600/650 must be the most obvious choice at this point.  I was thinking Senn Momentums or V-Moda M100 might fit the bill too.

Feb 14, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #11 of 49
The HD650 would be "more" opposite to the 325e than the HD600. I enjoy the HD650 tremendously on slow, relaxing music that benefits from big soundstage. The SR325e can shine on both aggressive/fun music and intimate slow songs that makes you feel like you're sitting in a bar, in front of the band. I aggree with everything @canetsbe say on the MS2e vs the HD600, and I think SR325e vs HD650 will leave me uttering the almost same words, only with even more pronounced comparatives. However I don't think the HD600 is a better headphone than the MS2e. Sure the HD6x0 are very refined, but IMO Grados are much more musical. If I had the money, I'd own both the HD600 and the HD650. Unfortunately, I don't.

Feb 14, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #12 of 49
I have MS2 and AKG K7XX (702 Annies) and they compliment great. Comfort also over Senn's... they're my primary headphones and the MS2(e now) when I want a different signature. Still can't wear grado's for that long without discomfort.

Feb 14, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #13 of 49
  The HD650 would be "more" opposite to the 325e than the HD600. I enjoy the HD650 tremendously on slow, relaxing music that benefits from big soundstage. The SR325e can shine on both aggressive/fun music and intimate slow songs that makes you feel like you're sitting in a bar, in front of the band. I aggree with everything @canetsbe say on the MS2e vs the HD600, and I think SR325e vs HD650 will leave me uttering the almost same words, only with even more pronounced comparatives. However I don't think the HD600 is a better headphone than the MS2e. Sure the HD6x0 are very refined, but IMO Grados are much more musical. If I had the money, I'd own both the HD600 and the HD650. Unfortunately, I don't.

Seems Grados and Senns are natural enemies!  Maybe I'm reading more into it but Tyll at Innerfidelity is a Sennheiser advocate and hates Grado.  I sometimes wonder if its the sound or the brand that is at opposition.  
tongue.gif

I'm poking a little fun.  Everything I've read agrees that Grado's are bright while Senn 600/650's are more subdued.

Feb 14, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #14 of 49
I love the Grado sound, but I can get by with just one Grado, just because the basic Grado sound is there to a degree , across the board....I like to have a headphone that is on the opposite end of the spectrum also.......makes for a completely different sound to enjoy.

Many people like to have all their cans be basically the same sound, with just a tad of a tweak in the bass or treble.

Everybody is different.

For me the Senn HD650 was a pefect partner for my RS1i......both had great mids...the Grado sparkle up top and the dark and delicious treble of the HD650 made for a perfect match for me.....YMMV

Feb 14, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #15 of 49
I'm leaning to the HD650.  Seems like nice compliment to my Grado.  

HD650 with the new Meier and Grado with my Little Dot 1+ is the likely outcome.

popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back